Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn?)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of the box office or dcu as a larger ?shared universe? (which I don?t think they give a **** about and neither do I) the movie is a stand-alone great time and will go down a a great piece of entertainment that I will probably watch a bunch of times and show a bunch of people. So happy and relieved another great movie for dc and my collection of awesome movies. I seem to be very lucky, I was in a sold out showing for 520 on a Saturday. The energy from the audience was awesome. Every one clapped and cheered at the finale showdown.

I just checked some of the showings in two theaters miles apart near me and from what I saw only about 20 seats have been sold so far today. Yikes!

https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-weekend-box-office-margot-robbie-1202853768/
4th UPDATE, Sunday AM w/final chart: In the wake of hitting highs with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all-time in the 11-time Oscar-nominated and billion-dollar-plus grossing Joker, Warner Bros? DC hit a pothole with the Suicide Squad spinoff Birds of Prey, opening well below projections with $33.2M stateside and $81.2M worldwide ($48M from 78 offshore territories). This wasn?t the lowest DC opening of all-time for Warner Bros. in recent box office history. That belongs to the Josh Brolin 2010 western Jonah Hex ($5.3M).

The domestic opening is well under the $50M-$55M tracking projection, and under the $45M for which Warner Bros was hoping for, while overseas the forecast was at least $110M......

Despite the pic?s lackluster commercial turnout here, one of the greatest attributes about Birds of Prey is its reflection of diversity behind and in front of the camera. We need to continue on that course as an industry.

Dunno how "lackluster" it is for any film released during the traditional movie dead zone late winter/early spring. At least it wasn't a Captain Marvel propped up by an event movie connection. This article picks apart any and all reasons for ticket sales, but for myself it's simple - unlike upcoming Black Widow, which has a kinda gritty espionage vibe, this film just came across as girl power film. Except for Harley, none of the characters looked interesting in ads.

Just sayin' IMO the ads were mediocre zzzzzz. If u didn't have a comic interest there's no reason to care, at all. It's probably fine, but no reason to hike out in cr*p weather. Harley looks like she's having a meltdown and then goes out with her BFFs. Whoopee. I've got a statue of Harley and all, but why bother when it doesn't even look like there's an interesting villain with a cool costume showing up?

And "reflection of diversity" may be an asset, but for chrissake focus on writing and telling a good story first. Not like Harley had major reshoots before release or anything.:slap

So annoyed with the cynicism against this movie for no reason. I?ve been watching this Batman **** my whole life and thought the whole movie was Harley ripped right out of the cartoon and comics and thrown into a highly entertaining well made action movie. Great characters fun faced paced plot. BEST comic villain in years. Is it all becuase of the ?crappy? costumes??? Oh well 😔 really just other people?s loss. It?s just a fun movie, not much deeper than that. The idea the Deadpool was showered with praise when this basically does that but much much much better is weird to me. Oh well the people I was surrounded with loved it. Certainly not a perfect movie, but a damn good time. Margot Robbie blew the role away, I thought she was just okay in suicide squad, but in this I was shocked. Takes some real talent to stop this character from being way too annoying and she really pulled it off. I found Deadpool?s constant quips to be annoying while Harley was actually kind of sweet and relatable in an interesting way. Oh well!!! They are going full steam ahead with Gunn?s suicide squad, and if this movie is any indication it is going to be balls to the walls.

Margot Robbie is fine in the role, but I started getting sick of her a bit. That is less to do with her acting, and more with the plot/script. This is def. a Harley Quinn solo movie, which has some supporting characters.

The movie was okay. Nothing I would ever really want to watch again. Not great but not bad.

But if you have a chance to see it in theaters, it is entertaining. It feels like 1/3 Suicide Squad, 1/3 Deadpool and 1/3 Blade III.

Last edited:
I liked this movie alot. I could definitely watch it again. There?s alot in there to like if you are a bat fan,

I think it was marketed poorly though. Black mask was great and a dude in a skull mask would?ve gotten some asses in seats.

I bet it will do well with word of mouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So annoyed with the cynicism against this movie for no reason. I?ve been watching this Batman **** my whole life and thought the whole movie was Harley ripped right out of the cartoon and comics and thrown into a highly entertaining well made action movie. Great characters fun faced paced plot. BEST comic villain in years. Is it all becuase of the ?crappy? costumes??? Oh well 😔 really just other people?s loss. It?s just a fun movie, not much deeper than that. The idea the Deadpool was showered with praise when this basically does that but much much much better is weird to me. Oh well the people I was surrounded with loved it. Certainly not a perfect movie, but a damn good time. Margot Robbie blew the role away, I thought she was just okay in suicide squad, but in this I was shocked. Takes some real talent to stop this character from being way too annoying and she really pulled it off. I found Deadpool?s constant quips to be annoying while Harley was actually kind of sweet and relatable in an interesting way. Oh well!!! They are going full steam ahead with Gunn?s suicide squad, and if this movie is any indication it is going to be balls to the walls.

Probably cause deadpool looked appealing. These characters look boring and that isn?t a huge draw for a lot of people. People want flashy o er the top **** now. This has it but the characters just look meh.

I guess there’s a fine line between flashy & over the top and ugly & unfunny. I found the first Deadpool to be the perfect balance of insufferable & amusing, but also very cleverly shot & staged.

This tries really hard capture that but just feels forced. Recurring jokes about Montoya saying cliche movie lines when no one else is doing much better. Recurring flat joke about Huntress telling people her name is Huntress. Every shot feels like a medium two on a claustrophobic set. When they finally go atmospheric for the last set piece it’s suddenly Tim Burton Land but in a digital matte. The rare cool move in a fight just emphasizes how stale the rest is.

Even MR’s Harley performance....Suicide Squad has a lot of problems but the production design/lighting/etc support the over-the-top characters. This feels like your watching the actors run lines in a hotel room.

But I’m old and white and straight and fine with those things so could just be my problem like everything else, I’m told.

You'd think by now the movie studios would realize that the vast majority of movie going audiences are men. If they don't market their movie towards them it's likely gonna bomb.

You'd also think that the Suits would realize that women would rather look at hot, buff shirtless men (https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2018/12/aquaman-is-a-box-office-monster-thanks-to-female-fans.html), but nah, let's get a whole minute of HARLEY FREAKIN' (YASSSSSS) QUINN (SLAAAAAAAAYYYY) buying a sandwhich and then screaming (I'M ACTING) in slow-mo as it falls down. Truly riveting stuff. This "flick" is literally aimed at 13 yo Instathots and TikTokers, but I'm fairly certain they'd rather be doing something else... But hey, maybe the Cool Wine Aunt and Pansexual Wicca Ex-Tumblrina audience is going to give this thing legs!

If you want people to watch your drivel, at least put some hot women in sexy outfits. It's ****ing cape****. Staring female characters, ie fapbait. It's made for a forgettable evening. Give me a bit tiddy blonde in leather, a big tiddy ravenhead in leather, and a big tiddy redhead in leather ****ing up goons with good matial arts, and I'll watch your capeflick. Then keep some segments for a wank and forget about it a week later. Don't fight nature.

z47egu47yb721.jpg

But nah, instead do Robbie's vanity project, fill it with some of the worst directing around, make it the cinematic equivalent of the "pengu1n_of_d00m" pasta, fill it with... whatever those women are, and you get the cinematic abortion that is BoP.

ELHob0qXUAIOiQb.jpg

Because nothing says "I really ****ing wanna watch this action movie" like Margot "I'm totes 29" Robbie dressed like a toddler, a middle aged Latina doing her best impression of being menacing while her knees are killing her, a Literal "Black" Canary (who looks nothing like Black Canary) swinging a bat, for some reason, while looking as if she's going on a bad trip, MEW cosplaying as the Arrow, and Gank-I mean "Ned Leeds" female equivalent looking as if she's taking a ****! Oh, and let's not forget the CGI Hyena!

Meanwhile the depressed Robot in clown paint who shot the King of Comedy made a billion... Gee, it's almost as if you make a good movie and not alienate half the moviegoers, you'll probably make some cash...

Don't @ me. I don't care enough about this pile of garbage to debate it. Unless you wanna tell me how right I am, in which case, by all means necessary, do so.

tumblr_pkju7rveGe1v2s7jq_1280.jpg

I can't stand that ******* poster. I hate that midge Rose looking b I tch with her stupid face, fake Canary, and Rosie Perez? Are we in 1991? Harley front and center in a BIRDS OF PREY movie. That poster is everything that is wrong with superhero films when made by people that don't know the source material.

Does Hollywood hate Asian women that much?

8q6Z4nT.jpg

r9WEP5Y.jpg

They seem to forget its straight men too.

That said, is theatrical still driven by a "vast" and mostly male audience?

In general, the audience's gender is pretty much split down the middle, but when it comes to sci-fi and action movies it's a male-dominated audience, female numbers for these types of movies range from 30%-40%... And that number flips when you talk about romantic comedies/dramas, then it's guys in the 30% range, with most of those guys being gay... :lol

The big difference is guys will see sci-fi action movies several times where females usually only see a romantic comedy once... That's why action sci-fi movies make the big money and why female actresses want staring roles in them, for the $$$...

Hollywood Studios for their part think if they make these sci-fi/action movies about girls they will bring in a new audience but all they're really doing is kililng off their male fan base...

Let's look at LucasFilms since Kennedy took over here's what we got

1) Rogue One - All about the female character Jyn Erso
2) Solo A Star Wars Story - Even though it's supposed to be all about Han Solo it ends up being all about the female character Qi'ra, she even kills the bad guy in the end...
3) The New Star Wars trilogy, all about Rey and her supporting cast of merry women...

That's all fine and good except your audience is still dominated by males, that's why each movie made less and less money, after The Last Jedi it was really obvious what Kennedy was up to...

I'm sure once Hollywood loses enough money things will get back to normal...

Last edited:
Everything in Hollywood is about the money they just like to wrap it up with PC B.S. to make themselves look good...

You're thinking too small. This thing goes deep. It's not just Hollywood. It's a rabbit hole. Yes, it's about money. But not the kind of money that you'd think. This whole business, "entertainment"; it's all a front. It's a front for pushing the narrative that they want. But that's another discussion, for another place...

JCDenton2.jpg

Back