Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn?)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this on Saturday. It was actually better than I was expecting. Granted it was a bit all over the place and they had some missteps, the biggest of which was getting too far away from the comic costumes. By trying to avoid coming across as too sexualized they instead went with really terrible looking, instantly forgettable costumes. I was worried that might happen. Why they didn’t look to Marvel’s superhero costume design is beyond me. I didn’t care for how Huntress was cast or written, although I did like Black Canary. Black Mask was a great villain choice, but they ultimately dropped the ball on it. And if you’re going to have an R rated comic movie, for crying out loud lean into it. The horrible marketing for this movie also didn’t do them any favors. Still I hope it finds its audience. Sure there are some poor choices and missed opportunities, but it’s a fun romp nonetheless.

I didn’t think about the costumes a single time. I didn’t even know it was a thing people were talking about. I did notice Montoya’s stupid t-shirt because the giant block letter joke wouldn’t let my poor eyes avoid it.

It's a double-edged sword. Play up the sexuality and be accused of objectifying women. Play it down and completely water down the characters. I don't think they knew who their audience was, which is why the marketing is so bad and the movie is a soft R at best. If they wanted to play it safe and go after teen girls and families then make the movie PG-13. If they wanted to attract the core comic fans and Deadpool audience (as well as the international audience), then lean into graphic violence and strong sexuality. In today's "me too" climate (which I do support) it's a tough, if not impossible, act to pull off. Ultimately you have to chock that up to the director, screenwriter, producer and star. While I think the more violent, sexualized movie probably would have made a lot more money, it could have just as easily blown up in Warner/DC's face and become a PR nightmare.

That said, the audience score is high, so maybe word of mouth will keep the the movie rolling for a while.

It's a double-edged sword. Play up the sexuality and be accused of objectifying women. Play it down and completely water down the characters. I don't think they knew who their audience was, which is why the marketing is so bad and the movie is a soft R at best. If they wanted to play it safe and go after teen girls and families then make the movie PG-13. If they wanted to attract the core comic fans and Deadpool audience (as well as the international audience), then lean into graphic violence and strong sexuality. In today's "me too" climate (which I do support) it's a tough, if not impossible, act to pull off. Ultimately you have to chock that up to the director, screenwriter, producer and star. While I think the more violent, sexualized movie probably would have made a lot more money, it could have just as easily blown up in Warner/DC's face and become a PR nightmare.

That said, the audience score is high, so maybe word of mouth will keep the the movie rolling for a while.

Who says they have to play up the sexuality. Just let her wear a character appropriate costume and call it a day. Wonder Woman and Black Widow have no problem being sexy and you don't see either one of them rushing into battle in baggy clown pants so that they can teach men a lesson about "passive misogyny."

If Robbie thought that her Suicide Squad shorts were too short then hey here's an idea: make them an inch longer. Or wear the jester suit. It's not that hard.

Yes, angry , old, straight, white males. :chase

Like most businesses , they are being told by management they need to ?grow the market? , so they make films in genres typically for older white men, and attempt to recourse them to the other lower represented groups.

Its about money as always.

The crazy thing they continually think it will work when for the most part, it fails miserable every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to disappointing box office figures Warner Bros has officially changed the name of the movie from Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey. Theaters have been directed to immediately change the title on their marquees.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/birds-prey-gets-title-disappointing-004639555.html

You can't make this **** up...

That’s like when your Scrabble pew is all consonants but you shuffle them around for 5 minutes in a weird spiteful bluff to the inevitable winner.

Due to disappointing box office figures Warner Bros has officially changed the name of the movie from Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey. Theaters have been directed to immediately change the title on their marquees.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/birds-prey-gets-title-disappointing-004639555.html

You can't make this **** up...

Lol this company is so ****ing stupid. They should of made birds of prey instead of Harley Quinn movie. They don?t know there characters and it shows so much with each movie in the dceu they release

If this doesn't work they're going to change the name to Batman (Comic Universe Side Character Film Adaptation) FEATURING HARLEY QUINN!!!

Lol this company is so ****ing stupid. They should of made birds of prey instead of Harley Quinn movie. They don?t know there characters and it shows so much with each movie in the dceu they release

They're stupid for even making a Birds of prey movie to begin with, as if there's so much demand out there for it. :lol

If this was a Joker/Harley movie like originally intended then it wouldn't have been a flop.

Back