Bandai Perfect Grade 1/72 《Star Wars》Millennium Falcon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Actually if they make a Blockade Runner I'd like the option of putting the Falcon cockpit and radar dish on it.

Gyju3Op.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think a PG Xwing will be released or does the moving edition tick the boxes

Just ordered at usagundamstore. $375 less 10% for new customer + shipping = $354. Need to practice on airbrushing to get ready :)

Burning Rage and Balu- thanks for those last two posts. Those kicked me over the edge.

Was very close to ordering this on Amazon, which would have been nice since unlike usagundamstore, they wouldn't have charged till they shipped which would have been a while. But OTOH, saving $80 (I would have got charged NYS tax on Amazon), is no small deal either.

The thought of building some kind of model again has been swirling in my head for a couple years now. Used to love doing it as a kid and this seems like it will be nice project for the long winter ahead.

Burning Rage and Balu- thanks for those last two posts. Those kicked me over the edge.

Was very close to ordering this on Amazon, which would have been nice since unlike usagundamstore, they wouldn't have charged till they shipped which would have been a while. But OTOH, saving $80 (I would have got charged NYS tax on Amazon), is no small deal either.

The thought of building some kind of model again has been swirling in my head for a couple years now. Used to love doing it as a kid and this seems like it will be nice project for the long winter ahead.

:yess: it will be a busy but fun winter! Thinking about buying some airbrushing equipment for this, and getting back to model building as well.

Iwata M Revolution. Great for a novice. Single action. Dial in a rate and get nice, consistent coverage.

Thanks for this, saved the video and the airbrush is in my cart.

I started years ago with a dual action and I could never get the hang of it so I gave up and sold it. Time to get back in the game.

I have several Iwata aibrushes including this one. This is a nice bread and butter reliable airbrush with a quality build.

I plan on decanting some tamiya AS-20 and airbrushing that over a grey base coat of mr. surfacer with a touch of black pre-shadowing.

edit: Consider practicing on a less expensive build first such as one of Bandai's other SW kits.

Last edited:
I prefer the Eclipses- but we do mostly illustration work on paper. I've had mixed experiences with the Revolutions, mostly leaning towards the negative. But for that matter, the last two Eclipses that I bought as spares proved to be faulty too from the start so...I don't know what's going on with them.

I have several Iwata aibrushes including this one. This is a nice bread and butter reliable airbrush with a quality build.

I plan on decanting some tamiya AS-20 and airbrushing that over a grey base coat of mr. surfacer with a touch of black pre-shadowing.

edit: Consider practicing on a less expensive build first such as one of Bandai's other SW kits.

Thanks for the video. I am thinking about the Iwata eclipse HP CS but it's a dual action so may be difficult for a novice. Do you have a recommendation for on an Iwata air compressor? Yes, definitely will practice on cheaper Bandai models before working on this kit.

XukP011.jpg

I have the following iwatas: the NEO (not really an iwata), the Revolution M and the Eclipse BS (older version of the CS). All three are decent guns. The NEO is the least expensive at $100 and the other two are ~ $150-180. Get a decent hose, not the crappy plastic one with the coil.

You will also need a regulator valve with a moisture trap, pressure dial and a gauge. Mine is super old, no idea what they cost now. I also have a small compressor with a tank from Harbor Frieght. You don't need a brand name compressor, just be sure it has a tank. I have a three gallon and keep intending to get at least a 6.

A double action brush takes a little practice to control, but you can practice simply making marks on paper, to get the necessary motions down.
There are exercises like making a row of vertical lines, then crossing those horizontally, then putting a tiny dot in the center of each box, etc
Just basic stuff like that will advance your hand/eye dexterity along with getting comfortable with the press down/pull back motion.
Once you get the hang of it, a double action brush will give you quite a bit more control.

I would think there is going to be a good bit of latitude when it comes to painting models with an airbrush. Between prep work like masking, and the conjunctional use of a regular small brush for small areas and washes, there shouldn't be a lot to really screw up. Masking off the areas you don't want to get paint on, and to create hard edges where there is paint, should be most of the work.

one other thought- that smaller HP-M looks to me like it would be MUCH harder to get the hang of using compared to a basic double action, gravity feed.

For one thing, the longer barrel on the other brushes rest in the crook of your hand between your thumb and forefinger. That helps keep it balanced and I would think would lead to less hand fatigue over several hours of use.
To maintain even more control, many painters will steady their right hand (assuming you're right handed) with their left hand. This is why a double action can actually be easier to use in the long run.

Back