Bandai Perfect Grade 1/72 《Star Wars》Millennium Falcon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, thanks guys. I get a lot of compliments on it but I still think I really could have done better.
The directions stated that the recesses should be sprayed dark, I did that, then I realized that actually they are the same color as the rest of the ship but weathered heavily. I went back and lightened them up but really wish I had never done them dark.
I couldn’t use the techniques that the videos show because I didn’t own an airbrush so everything was done by hand, and it took forever. If I could go back I would have bought an airbrush right away.
I painted as I built, and I think maybe that might have been a mistake but will never know as I will most likely never do another.
Research your colors, as20 rattle cans work really great for the base color, Deag claims it takes four cans, what a crock, took me I believe 8. And make sure you have the correct panel colors, I did ok with the red and the dark grey but really wish I would have done some light grey as well.
It’s a really long, sometimes daunting, but fun build.

Oh and it takes up a LOT of space while building so make sure you have room.

..... Oh and it takes up a LOT of space while building so make sure you have room.

This is the main reason why I had to pass on this. Oh how I would love to have one, but I have absolutely zero room to -both- build & display it.
I really do like how yours came out. Congrats on a great build :clap

Space is my big problem too atm.

It's why I can't get started on the DeAgo here or the Cooper Star Destroyer (which I realize now is going to entail wholesale amounts of scratchbuilding since a bunch of those distorted pieces are unsalvageable in their entirety).

Interesting to hear that you have some regrets painting in subsections, as that's what I thought I would need to do to help with building/work space restrictions.

From the pic it doesn't look like you went overly dark on the recesses. At least they don't appear distractingly contrasted anyway.
I was thinking of painting those with a black undercoat too and then spraying over the raised parts with the basic ship hull color. Maybe I should modify that to start with an 80% gray rather than full black?

I do think you did a great job on the weathering. You seem to have exercised a lot restraint, which is usually tough to do.
It doesn't matter if an uber SW nerd can point to where you missed the exact length and width of a given rust streak compared to the studio model.
There's no mistaking what it is and it's going to serve as an inspiration to plenty of other fans, myself included!

Get place to get perfect parts to upgrade any MF kit is a Shapeways. SLA prints with the best detail. The guy who pores hours into the acAD files. It it 308 user name. Check his work out. I was putting together a run of 5 Bandi MF Force Awaken 144th scale kits. They didn’t update the body from the StarWars episode 4 kit they did years ago.just added the New Dish and Characters. The last Jedi kit I read they changed some of the grebes added over 30 years from Jedi to New Trilogy. I wanted the Episode 4/5 look and he had the round dish in perfect detail. instead of that square one They replaced it after Lando near miss in Jedi ripping off the original.i have a friend who has a frameshop and he sell Hot toys in the back corner so we have a account. But I Box frame the 144th scale MF with glass. People love how the look. So when I have couple commissions I will order a case and do a batch at a time. It Saves hours. I still have to use blown up sections of the original falcon model used in the film on 40inch LED to match the paint exactly matching every detail. 144th is hard todo. You can see the details on the 1(72 perfect grade really well. But I have to change over $1000 with mount and electronics. For less then half most people go for the box framed 144th scale. Anyway great work. I’ll quit my rant.but check out shapeways for really great upgraded parts hor fiber optics and other lighted areas.

It's finally arrived home - just ordered the acrylic case and stand.

Amazing job on the paints, and can never thank Pete enough for his insane attention to detail and inspiring professionalism.

It's finally arrived home - just ordered the acrylic case and stand.

Amazing job on the paints, and can never thank Pete enough for his insane attention to detail and inspiring professionalism.

Congrats Mandible !! Thats a beauty !!

I came here to also share that sale! It's a great price!

Anyone interested in building and painting this thing for me? Send me a PM!

So now you can get more at $240 each?? So much for "they are sold out" status and high Ebay prices- Bandai will keep running these as long as they have the license

So now you can get more at $240 each?? So much for "they are sold out" status and high Ebay prices- Bandai will keep running these as long as they have the license

As long as something is in high demand, nothing is ever really sold out with Bandai.

I used to build a lot of their Gundam kits, and more are always around the corner.

At $240 I feel like a fool not buying the kit... but I have the Hasbro BMF that I should paint up instead. But this is so perfect. Arg, nice problem to have.

284FCA2C-E265-4892-9782-0C577A58BB24.jpg

here’s a pic of my bandai, the hasbro BMF and the earlier hasbro release. i painted these hasbros up for friends!!

Great photo. I think I'll just paint the BMF. As much as I want the Bandai version, I don't really need two Falcons.

not dumb!! thank you!!! it’s actually a really nice complement!! Top one is Bandai, bottom right is the BMF... left is the old hasbro.

View attachment 464802

here’s a pic of my bandai, the hasbro BMF and the earlier hasbro release. i painted these hasbros up for friends!!

Amazing how good the BMF looks with a great custom paint job!! Beautifully done. I have the vintage version of the Hasbro BMF MIB. Got it on the the cheap when TRU had em on clearance. Wish I had bought 2 for what they sell for now. Never opened it due to it's size and having no idea where I'd put it.

Been tempted to get this Bandai Model as well, but really want the Lego UCS Falcon if I buy another Falcon piece (also have NO IDEA where I'd put that monster as it's even bigger then the BMF!!). But this is proving to be hard to pass up for $240. I almost bought it for $300 at one point when discounted on Amazon before the initial release sold out.

Back