Asmus Toys: LOTR 1/6 HORSES

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure that is the real deal? It has a huge seam down its chest and the stirrups almost look backwards or at least too short for a human. The packaging does not look quite right for Asmus either (although that is a map of Middle Earth printed on it).

That's the real deal. We knew from earlier on that Asmus was releasing these horses as "generic", but obviously they were Brego and Shadowfax. I have a sneaking suspicion it was to circumvent licensing. Hence why there are no logos on the box.

Those pics show that the engineering/design issues that affect the Nazgul steed affect this one too - a misaligned right hind leg.

im confused now, so have asmus used the shadowfax horse with saddle kit to pass as Arod? I thought Arod was unique along with the brown horse release

im confused now, so have asmus used the shadowfax horse with saddle kit to pass as Arod? I thought Arod was unique along with the brown horse release
I think this is a mix between Arod and Shadowfax. The first should have grey hair and tail while the second should be more white on face and legs. Saddle kit is a nice accessory anyway.

I think the horses look pretty good. Over priced, but not a bad addition to a collection at all.

I think the articulation is great too. I think the joints are badly designed but I prefer it articulated. They probably should have gone with a posable frame with a soft vinyl overlay. That would have probably been more expensive but it would have pleased the articulation junkies and the diorama base people.

I want the tack/sadle-if anyone just wants the horse let me know.

I honestly wouldn't care if the horses moved. I wish you could just get solid ones that stand on their own and would hold the figure well. Have nice tack, main and tail. Have the horse match the figure that's suppose to be on it. Same markings and tack. Don't care about the articulation.

Asmus is clearly receptive to input from the community. I don't see why Asmus couldn't release generic, non-articulated horses alongside their articulated horses if the demand is there. I presume that articulating a horse is the hard part and backing off that to make non-articulated parts (or at least non-articulated legs) would be easier with what Asmus already has.

Beyond that, it'd be awesome for Asmus to make more generic horses in different colors. I was looking for a 1/6 scale horse to go with my Iminime Cowboy and the options were generally old, terrible-looking when paired with a modern high quality figure, and/or expensive.

Asmus is clearly receptive to input from the community. I don't see why Asmus couldn't release generic, non-articulated horses alongside their articulated horses if the demand is there. I presume that articulating a horse is the hard part and backing off that to make non-articulated parts (or at least non-articulated legs) would be easier with what Asmus already has.

Beyond that, it'd be awesome for Asmus to make more generic horses in different colors. I was looking for a 1/6 scale horse to go with my Iminime Cowboy and the options were generally old, terrible-looking when paired with a modern high quality figure, and/or expensive.

I really hope they do grab the opportunity and make some horses with non-articulated legs. I don't need the horse's legs to move. The way I see it, the horse isn't really a "figure" per se, it's essentially a very cool base/environment/diorama on which to display a figure.

They could do two basic styles ... one standing (maybe with one front foot up) and another rearing. (The rearing horse could be fixed to a base.) Keep some neck/head articulation and make a range of colors, and there you go. Then sell different saddles and tack separately so we can customize our horses for the different areas of Middle-Earth (or elsewhere) and pair them with the appropriate figures.

That would be my preference, anyway.

All that said, I' m loving what they're doing with their LOTR line generally. Great work, Asmus!

I agree, though I don't care about articulation at all. To me the horse is just a prop or base for the figure. An accessory.

I have to disagree here. It is an animal, a living entity that reacts to things around it and to its mount. I love being able to move the head of the Nazgul steed as if he is pulling the reigns and the horse is staring at potential hiding Hobbits with his glowing red eyes.

Static mounts have kept me from getting both the Dewback and Taun Tauns from SSC even though I love both creatures in the SW films.

I would love if Asmus could come up with a better support method than the flexy rod thing but that being said I was able to get some good poses with legs in motion that I really like and that are stable enough to leave for months on end. I also really like the flocking on the Nazgul steed as it adds texture and photographs well as opposed to potentially reflective painted plastic.

I want them to do a proper Shadowfax, lord of all living horses... bigger and more beautiful (and dangerous) than all other Equine.

I'm all for articulation in the neck and head. Lots of nice options with that. Also easy enough to disguise with the reins and armor. It's just the leg articulation that kind of hurts the look (and apparently stability) of the whole thing.

A proper flocked Shadowfax would be great.

I have to disagree here. It is an animal, a living entity that reacts to things around it and to its mount. I love being able to move the head of the Nazgul steed as if he is pulling the reigns and the horse is staring at potential hiding Hobbits with his glowing red eyes.

Static mounts have kept me from getting both the Dewback and Taun Tauns from SSC even though I love both creatures in the SW films.

I would love if Asmus could come up with a better support method than the flexy rod thing but that being said I was able to get some good poses with legs in motion that I really like and that are stable enough to leave for months on end. I also really like the flocking on the Nazgul steed as it adds texture and photographs well as opposed to potentially reflective painted plastic.

I want them to do a proper Shadowfax, lord of all living horses... bigger and more beautiful (and dangerous) than all other Equine.

I also think articulation is a must. I don't want a statue, I want a 1/6 scale animal that can be posed in many ways. I would like to see Asmus consider using hidden articulation combined with a more malleable outer material...this worked perfectly with the Hot Toys Hulk. In addition, it will need to be bottom weighted so that it can be able to rear up and hold itself along with a mounted figure.

5541e3cbd446aa321dfcae7b005ee5a6.jpg

Just got Brego yesterday. Looks good. I'd love to have a black stallion to give to Zorro here though.

They could sell both articulated and static. Or even ones with partial articulation. Give people options.

Probably not enough money to justify the different options but it would be nice to have them. I might cave in for a mostly or completely static Brego.

Probably not enough money to justify the different options but it would be nice to have them. I might cave in for a mostly or completely static Brego.

I would think it would be easier to make a static (I have a hard time using that word) one, especially since I'm sure they started out with it that way before the moved on to articulating it.

I don't mind a neck that moves, but the legs I just don't care for.

I am with you. I wouldn't mind the neck moving and if you go back to the ToyBiz horses from back in the day they did a god job hiding the neck articulation and it has lasted. My kids now play with them and none of that soft plastic has torn or melted yet.

My issue with the horse is that its too generic. It doesn't particularly follow the proportions of any particular breed. I would prefer a static horse, if well made, with realistic muscles, head size etc. They could maybe give 2 options for different leg poses, and maybe some articulation on the head to look sideways / up down. Like some Kotobukiya statues, that you can switch arms / legs etc. I have the nazgul horse, modded, but I really don't enjoy the aesthetics of the other horses, articulation is too apparent , which is okay for a 4" action figure / toy, but for me , is not for a deluxe collectible.
I really enjoy my current Nazgul / Horse, just expressing my opinion as a customer

Back