Asmus Toys: Gil-Galad 1/6th action figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a ton Weta (and Sideshow/Weta) pieces but my main lines are the environments and the helms.

I would rather have figures than statues of the characters, though.

wow $700 !!

I wonder why the reason for this price.
Can only think the cost to paint the details - if they are going for close to prototype quality, and that is a big IF - has been raised. A lot.

Maybe WETA learned something from their recent Argonath debacle - where the water meets the cliff it looks like bathtub caulk, and there were some other issues. I own it and it's OK, but was way overpriced for the workmanship. Fortunately your eye tends to look up at the 2 figures and it looks good at a distance. They won't be able to hide details on Gil-Galad tho. With shipping he will be 800$ +😮

Totally agree. When a product is already as overpriced as Gil Galad, it’s definitely not an investment. Similar to InArt Joker deluxe- but that is a less egregious offender- when something is already pushing or has surpassed the boundaries of acceptable pricing, you can’t rely on making a huge profit on the secondary market.

You should only buy things like that if you have money to burn or are content to simply enjoy owning and admiring a piece for the long haul.

I have sideshow weta Sauron centre stage of my display with the prologue characters beneath and I find myself admiring them more than anything else in my LOTR collection. They were designed to be pure fantasy mythology brought to life so I’m ok going with the most high end option to elevate that grouping even further.
This I completely understand. It's the reason I was close to getting WETA's Thranduil on Throne. Since I always liked folklore, mythology, past Tolkien. I still feel bad I passed on it. But - it was mostly tree and two figures. Gorgeous, but I couldn't get past the voice in my head telling me I'm just not in that economic class. Don't begrudge anyone who is, but I couldn't - even for a desperately wanted piece - pay out the cost of a car downpayment or something.

Which among other reasons don't think ASMUS should pay a lot of attention to what WETA is doing, except for their smaller pieces, folks are priced out or out of space for WETA.

Can only think the cost to paint the details - if they are going for close to prototype quality, and that is a big IF - has been raised. A lot.

Maybe WETA learned something from their recent Argonath debacle - where the water meets the cliff it looks like bathtub caulk, and there were some other issues. I own it and it's OK, but was way overpriced for the workmanship. Fortunately your eye tends to look up at the 2 figures and it looks good at a distance. They won't be able to hide details on Gil-Galad tho. With shipping he will be 800$ +😮
Although it really looks nice imo, the 700$+100$ shipping would make it cost 1000$+ here in Europe so its a big no-no for me.
Its not that I couldnt afford it but I am not willing to step over some price boundaries which I set for myself.

I even had to convince myself that I will pay 480$+VAT for the Inart rooted Aragorn, which will end up at about 610-650$ with free shipping if the authorities pick it out and somehow dont accept the IOSS number. :D
If i would want a speedier option for shipping (EMS/fedex/ups/dhl) than the standard free option then it would be 800-850$ in the end.

I dont even dare to say out to my friends these prices to be honest.

Although it really looks nice imo, the 700$+100$ shipping would make it cost 1000$+ here in Europe so its a big no-no for me.
Its not that I couldnt afford it but I am not willing to step over some price boundaries which I set for myself.

I even had to convince myself that I will pay 480$+VAT for the Inart rooted Aragorn, which will end up at about 610-650$ with free shipping if the authorities pick it out and somehow dont accept the IOSS number. :D
If i would want a speedier option for shipping (EMS/fedex/ups/dhl) than the standard free option then it would be 800-850$ in the end.

I’m the U.K. and would never order direct from Weta. I’m buying domestic which works out at around $865. :oops:

If I tell my mate (who’s interested in my collection) how much Gil Galad costs and he asks ‘but why?’ I’ll have absolutely no answer.

I still might pick up the Asmus figure just because toys are more fun.

I’m the U.K. and would never order direct from Weta. I’m buying domestic which works out at around $865. :oops:

If I tell my mate (who’s interested in my collection) how much Gil Galad costs and he asks ‘but why?’ I’ll have absolutely no answer.

I still might pick up the Asmus figure just because toys are more fun.
I'm in the UK also, and I have always ordered direct from Weta. But with UPS always coming up with outrageous customs fees ( TOT comes especially to mind ) that I can never work out if correct or not, I'm considering a change of supplier for Gil-Galad. As I haven't used a UK company before, may I ask who you use? and the reliability factor to fulfil orders. Thanks!

For sure Europeans and apparently Canadians are punished - at least for now - with VATs and other charges we don't have in the U.S. (tho the U.S. gets you in other ways).

Everyone collects differently and has their own tolerances and concept of worth. I can completely understand why someone would pay/overpay for Gil-Galad. A lot of Middle Earth collectors will completely understand. There's scenes in the movies or books that mean something, often life long. Plus, there was the vision and design WETA produced, and I doubt we will see the like again. Too much budget cutting in Hollywood. Even the Hobbit films dealt with cost cutting by Warner Brothers; IMO it's a miracle the dwarves and elves looked as plush as they did (with real leather goods, glassware, etc.)

For myself, if I really wanted him, I could get the WETA version. I was pretty close to the order button. For myself tho, since I'm one of those people who turn furniture over to see the workmanship - these WETA prices - it had better be something truly iconic to me. I also have some limits I set for myself with polystone or figures. It's why I'd tell resellers they won't get their 4X retail markup from me, so don't be greedy.😁 It gets to the point where either I can't afford it outright, or I'd just be stupid to pay that kind of money for a used piece. Again, IMO this is why ASMUS should ignore more or less what WETA is doing😁.

I'm in the UK also, and I have always ordered direct from Weta. But with UPS always coming up with outrageous customs fees ( TOT comes especially to mind ) that I can never work out if correct or not, I'm considering a change of supplier for Gil-Galad. As I haven't used a UK company before, may I ask who you use? and the reliability factor to fulfil orders. Thanks!
Collectibles Direct.

For statues or 1/6 vehicles, they are my go-to. I’ve spent several grand there on some large pieces over the last few years and their service is top notch.

I mostly opt for the layaway payment plan option so I can pay off the total in my own time.

They get Weta and Prime Studio stuff pretty soon after they release and overnight special delivery is included which is a very good service.

Can’t go wrong with them imo.

^ Agree about Collectibles Direct…excellent company - I’ve had several Weta pieces from them and the service is always top notch! (y)

Collectibles Direct.

For statues or 1/6 vehicles, they are my go-to. I’ve spent several grand there on some large pieces over the last few years and their service is top notch.

I mostly opt for the layaway payment plan option so I can pay off the total in my own time.

They get Weta and Prime Studio stuff pretty soon after they release and overnight special delivery is included which is a very good service.

Can’t go wrong with them imo.
Thanks for that information. :duff

微信圖片_20230728120615.jpg

Tailoring looking great! But are those the final colors? The yellow/orange color of the print seems a little bright. I thought the pattern in the film was a lot more subtle. Almost a silver on the blue fabric.

Looks cool so far but definitely the wrong colour on the robe. Pattern is silver on blue in the movie and the chest plate looks very bulky here. The bands are supposed to be a lot thinner.

Attachments

• Gilgalad (1).jpg
    Gilgalad (1).jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
  • elrondgilgalad2 (1).jpg
    elrondgilgalad2 (1).jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GilGalad.jpg
    GilGalad.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Gil-galad.jpg
    Gil-galad.jpg