Asmus Toys: Gil-Galad 1/6th action figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that it should be silver on the blue robes for the design, but otherwise I think this looks excellent. Hope that orange/gold color can still be changed, if it can, the outfit/armor of the figure is great.

I understand that this is just a prototype and subsequent updates are planned but the chainmail needs to be addressed, even if it bumps up the price a little.

It is one piece of the outfit that draws the eyes to it and along with the head sculpt, should be as close to perfect as possible.

It's a prototype in development. Look at their Elrond for how armor/mail etc will likely look in the finished product.

It's a prototype in development. Look at their Elrond for how armor/mail etc will likely look in the finished product.
You’d think that would be a logical approach but Asmus are forever screwing around with the chainmail of figures; making progress, then regressing, changing it between batches (Gimli,) downgrading it from promo shots that were supposed to be of the finished product (Boromir,) so it more than reasonable to request they actually settle on something acceptable and are honest about it.

@Asmus Love that you are giving us in-progress pics again, I hope you take any comments on our part in the constructive/passionate critical tone they are intended rather than negativity - we want the best possible product just like you.

With that said:
1 - Colours - the orange pattern needs to be replaced with a delicate, not too strong/thick metallic silver. Likewise the sigil at his stomach/midchest is in silver not yellow. Also the blue sigil section is the same material and colour as the other parts of the robes - rather than the darker blue and other woven material it appears to be here. Speaking of dark blue all of these blues are too dark and are close to midnight/prussian blue whereas Gil-Galad's blue is closer to electric blue #2c75ff or #035096 depending on the lighting.

1690780452447.png

1690780568553.png

2. the proportions are off, hopefully its the angle of the photo making the bottom half of the figure look way too small, but the robes are longer and more layered than they look here.
I think part of the problem is because you have Gil-Galad's crest section at the waist/belt level where if you look at the movie stills this section is at the stomach level.
Also the legs look too short/the body-armor looks too long on this figure so the lower section of the blue robes looks to be barely an inch of fabric on the figure when it in reality comprises the entire lower third of Gil-Galad's body, and all but completely hides his boots.
In fact the blue robes are the dominating visual feature of the character when one consults the movie - which is one of the reasons I don't consider the Weta statue the most faithful to the character's appearance.

1690783540099.png
1690783588542.png
1690783640083.png

1690780242692.png
1690781545452.png

3 - the armor is missing the scroll-work, the more golden hue and the thinner/finer craftsman ship that elevates it and separates it from the other Elven Warriors of his army. Gil-Galad is the High-King of the Elves - his armor reflects that. The Weta statue is actually a decent source for those details.

4 - materials/cloth elements - the blue robes are made from velvet or a velvet like material, they are longer have more layers and have an brown/grey/dull-gold velvet lining that is visible on the inner lining of the large open "sleeves" at the sides of the costume.
the trim of the robes is a very thin gold braid, rather than the rather thick yellow trim it currently is. On the original costume its barely noticeable.
this figure is missing the belt that attaches the sigil section and instead has it unduly bulky muff-like design.
Here is a front-on pic of an interpretation of the costume - though sadly without its chainmail elements, also the angle hides the brown/grey/gold inner lining you can see in the pics above

1690782645591.png

5. THE CHAINMAIL - for the love of god don't do the cheap printed faux-imitation chainmail you used on Boromir - I know a few people who didn't buy that Boromir precisely for that reason.

Attachments

• 1690780184510.png
    1690780184510.png
    935.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1690781509479.png
    1690781509479.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1690780161195.png
    1690780161195.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, it is clear to be a lot of changes. we kinda of struggle to decide the colour of the patterns... it looks gold in the movie (or silver) but weta made it un colored(?)

But all the comments are SPOTTED on, it was why I am told to show things here,
we clearly need more idea for Gil-Galad, because there are way too few available images to design from.

Thx all. We are on it.

Yes, it is clear to be a lot of changes. we kinda of struggle to decide the colour of the patterns... it looks gold in the movie (or silver) but weta made it un colored(?)

we clearly need more idea for Gil-Galad, because there are way too few available images to design from.

Thx all. We are on it.
Awesome stuff Asmus - love to hear it, wish more companies were willing to listen like this.
Hope it all goes well.

Thx all. We are on it.
I would recommend following the film color scheme, as most collectors look for screen matched look, not the actual props look. But props are vital for details and tracking the proper materials.

Does Weta or WB not share any design material or costume references with Asmus?

Presumably they’d have detailed drawings, photographs, measurements, material notes, etc. for finished costumes and props in their archives but it sounds like Asmus are just working off of a few images on google.

Does Weta or WB not share any design material or costume references with Asmus?

Presumably they’d have detailed drawings, photographs, measurements, material notes, etc. for finished costumes and props in their archives but it sounds like Asmus are just working off of a few images on google.
I've wondered about this myself as there is a costume and weapon visual reference guidebook that was provided to ToyBiz and other companies around the movie release for creating merchandise. They contain detailed photos of all the weapons and costumes, even broken down into layers. Surely these guides should still be shared with licensees today...

@Asmus Love that you are giving us in-progress pics again, I hope you take any comments on our part in the constructive/passionate critical tone they are intended rather than negativity - we want the best possible product just like you.

With that said:
1 - Colours - the orange pattern needs to be replaced with a delicate, not too strong/thick metallic silver. Likewise the sigil at his stomach/midchest is in silver not yellow. Also the blue sigil section is the same material and colour as the other parts of the robes - rather than the darker blue and other woven material it appears to be here. Speaking of dark blue all of these blues are too dark and are close to midnight/prussian blue whereas Gil-Galad's blue is closer to electric blue #2c75ff or #035096 depending on the lighting.

2. the proportions are off, hopefully its the angle of the photo making the bottom half of the figure look way too small, but the robes are longer and more layered than they look here.
I think part of the problem is because you have Gil-Galad's crest section at the waist/belt level where if you look at the movie stills this section is at the stomach level.
Also the legs look too short/the body-armor looks too long on this figure so the lower section of the blue robes looks to be barely an inch of fabric on the figure when it in reality comprises the entire lower third of Gil-Galad's body, and all but completely hides his boots.
In fact the blue robes are the dominating visual feature of the character when one consults the movie - which is one of the reasons I don't consider the Weta statue the most faithful to the character's appearance.

3 - the armor is missing the scroll-work, the more golden hue and the thinner/finer craftsman ship that elevates it and separates it from the other Elven Warriors of his army. Gil-Galad is the High-King of the Elves - his armor reflects that. The Weta statue is actually a decent source for those details.

4 - materials/cloth elements - the blue robes are made from velvet or a velvet like material, they are longer have more layers and have an brown/grey/dull-gold velvet lining that is visible on the inner lining of the large open "sleeves" at the sides of the costume.
the trim of the robes is a very thin gold braid, rather than the rather thick yellow trim it currently is. On the original costume its barely noticeable.
this figure is missing the belt that attaches the sigil section and instead has it unduly bulky muff-like design.
Here is a front-on pic of an interpretation of the costume - though sadly without its chainmail elements, also the angle hides the brown/grey/gold inner lining you can see in the pics above

5. THE CHAINMAIL - for the love of god don't do the cheap printed faux-imitation chainmail you used on Boromir - I know a few people who didn't buy that Boromir precisely for that reason.
What an excellent, constructive post(y). I'll buy the fig just - because.

And I trust ASMUS in the costuming department - tho depending I am less particular than some; on the other hand appreciate ASMUS doesn't skimp on fabric and also - some to-scale fabrics - to scale - may literally not exist. Which is a problem unless you want to get fabric specially made $$$$$

Real leather would be indeed really nice, die-cast or plastic weapons doesnt matter, if the joints are stronger sure go for die-cast.
Problem with elven warrior/archer was mainly that the blue cloth/ribbon/cloak? around their body is just too shiny/sparkly for my taste.

In all honesty if you would make better headsculpts for Boromir and would adapt the Gandalf the White headsculpt for Gandalf the Grey, lot of people would buy it for a reasonable price.

I think same goes for Aragorn Headsculpt, there still would be people who would buy it.

Lurtz would be big hit if you would make him. If you go for Gil-Galad, then you need to do Elendil as well.

I cant express it enough that the look and feel of your LOTR characters tailoring and clothing and accessories are mostly really nice but the Headsculpt accounts for about 70-80% of how a figure is judged.
Isildur too!

Also, I believe this book shows details of some armour, weapons and costumes. I have a copy but I can’t verify at this time.
Maybe @Asmus can check it out too?

IMG_1745.jpeg

Last edited:
Isildur too!

Also, I believe this book shows details of some armour, weapons and costumes. I have a copy but I can’t verify at this time.
Maybe @Asmus can check it out too?

View attachment 656440
Pretty sure I’ve got this. Will have a browse once I’m home and see what interesting details it contains.

Here are some pages regarding the High Elven warriors and Gil Galad. Not much on the latter really beyond his spear and shield.

It would appear that Weta really botched his shied by deciding it has a crude, wooden slab backing. That’s got to be the least even design imaginable.

The Elven warrior cape and wrap appears a pale gold on the prop costume but is described as a silk 'shimmering green-grey' so it’s anyone’s guess why dark blue was approved for the Asmus figure.
55CF6A54-8984-4243-9F02-D25AB0F11C18.jpeg
FF676538-2450-47BA-8045-0980DF3DE139.jpeg
278AFB52-B454-4A2D-9F6A-B4D576F1EE25.jpeg
062E765C-356D-4B8E-8ECD-0D4882C24860.jpeg
8EF8E445-AF25-475C-AD4F-0E811169E436.jpeg
87C50C81-70F2-4CCE-A0E5-A61144FA6430.jpeg
7B1EA8CE-456E-4871-AB2B-5D5BBA25EF43.jpeg
C04188EA-9FBD-41C4-827C-213766869EC6.jpeg
7E7A34A4-528C-44C3-B985-B08A290BE3CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back