Asmus Toys: Gil-Galad 1/6th action figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine you’ve quite literally painted yourselves into a corner due to the bright shade of brass used for Elrond and the Elven warriors so using a more appropriate, darker brass would break the cohesion for Gil Galad.

I defer to Weta for most references and a dark, dull brass with various brown washes seems like t would provide the perfect finish.
0495BFE0-8C47-4FFF-BB44-E120B139DC62.png
214BADB1-E7A8-4094-ADC9-7BB9450CF840.jpeg
B2B90071-39BE-45CC-B1EF-752F367C9164.jpeg

Try to aim for something like this as Weta does with this statue.

Attachments

• _lotr_gilgalad_003.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_003.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_005.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_005.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_012.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_012.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_010.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_010.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_006.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_006.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_015.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_015.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_013.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_013.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_014.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_014.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 0
  • _lotr_gilgalad_002.jpg
    _lotr_gilgalad_002.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 0
Mmmhmmm, I didn’t want to post that statue here so as not to discourage Asmus too much but they’re products two quite different demographics.
I’ll probably go with Weta because- well- just look at that thing!

Just hope my prologue shelf has headroom for all that spear.

Wow I can't believe we'll actually have a complete line up of the Elves of the Last Alliance. Now I'm hoping Asmus will move onto the Men and Sauron.

Wow I can't believe we'll actually have a complete line up of the Elves of the Last Alliance. Now I'm hoping Asmus will move onto the Men and Sauron.
“Oh yeah? You call yourself a LotR fan? Then name every man” :lol

I imagine you’ve quite literally painted yourselves into a corner due to the bright shade of brass used for Elrond and the Elven warriors so using a more appropriate, darker brass would break the cohesion for Gil Galad.

I defer to Weta for most references and a dark, dull brass with various brown washes seems like t would provide the perfect finish.
View attachment 644899View attachment 644900View attachment 644898
I would prefer the darker brass, I think they could get away with it due to Gil-Galad being High-King, like its suggesting his armour was of a higher quality?

I would prefer the darker brass, I think they could get away with it due to Gil-Galad being High-King, like its suggesting his armour was of a higher quality?
The darker colour of brass doesnt suggest higher quality.

Brass is an alloy of mainly Copper and Zinc (additionally tin, lead, nickel, mangan, iron etc can be found in some composites), the higher the zinc content ( Copper 60-70% Zinc 30-40%) the more yellow/gold the colour is, if the zinc content is lower (Copper 80%+, rest zinc and other stuff, think about red brass/gunmetal for example) the brass gets closer to look as normal copper does (reddish/pinkish).

Now Brass does oxidize, meaning with time and contact with air or even with human touching it does get a greenish or patina hue which protects the brass itself.
So if we talk about darker brass then it would mean an older brass which had its fair share of oxidization but having nothing to do with quality of the brass.

Last edited:
I ordered the Weta statue to match my Elindil and Isildur.
It costs at least 3 times what I’d expect for the Asmus figure- but sometimes you’ve just got to hurl wads of cash away needlessly…

Mmmhmmm, I didn’t want to post that statue here so as not to discourage Asmus too much but they’re products two quite different demographics.
I’ll probably go with Weta because- well- just look at that thing!

Just hope my prologue shelf has headroom for all that spear.
IMO ASMUS shouldn't worry about what WETA is doing. Or not doing.

For one thing ASMUS does some amazing details - like it just bugs me WETA's last Aragorn left off the bedroll and the silver paint detail of the vambraces and also for 400$ + Aragorn should not look confused.

The Gil-galad statue looks nice but is it 700$ niceo_O, etc. That's a lot for a 1/6 statue more like what I've paid for 1/4 scale pieces.

I ordered the Weta statue to match my Elindil and Isildur.
It costs at least 3 times what I’d expect for the Asmus figure- but sometimes you’ve just got to hurl wads of cash away needlessly…

I get that, but don't own the others or even a Sauron, mostly I think it would be cool to have something Elvish from the Last Alliance. Dunno if you can call these things investments but the markups on the 'bay are ridiculous. I see WETA's Thranduil staff for sale at $1200 - I own one and it's nice enough but not worth that!

IMO ASMUS shouldn't worry about what WETA is doing. Or not doing.

For one thing ASMUS does some amazing details - like it just bugs me WETA's last Aragorn left off the bedroll and the silver paint detail of the vambraces and also for 400$ + Aragorn should not look confused.

The Gil-galad statue looks nice but is it 700$ niceo_O, etc. That's a lot for a 1/6 statue more like what I've paid for 1/4 scale pieces.

I get that, but don't own the others or even a Sauron, mostly I think it would be cool to have something Elvish from the Last Alliance. Dunno if you can call these things investments but the markups on the 'bay are ridiculous. I see WETA's Thranduil staff for sale at $1200 - I own one and it's nice enough but not worth that!
Totally agree. When a product is already as overpriced as Gil Galad, it’s definitely not an investment. Similar to InArt Joker deluxe- but that is a less egregious offender- when something is already pushing or has surpassed the boundaries of acceptable pricing, you can’t rely on making a huge profit on the secondary market.

You should only buy things like that if you have money to burn or are content to simply enjoy owning and admiring a piece for the long haul.

I have sideshow weta Sauron centre stage of my display with the prologue characters beneath and I find myself admiring them more than anything else in my LOTR collection. They were designed to be pure fantasy mythology brought to life so I’m ok going with the most high end option to elevate that grouping even further.

I like Weta, but their prices have gone utterly insane, especially for their "mid-range" stuff.

wow $700 !!

I wonder why the reason for this price.
They've got certain collectors hooked on a line they've been producing for over 20 years so can pretty much charge what they want now. Completists gonna complete. This is also the final piece to complete the Prologue Big Three.
Slap on a manufactured 'exclusive' or 'limited' label to the product to justify an additional price jump to...

Supposedly polystone has double in price recently but that still doesn't account for why Weta's latest Lurtz is only 2/5 the price of Gil Galad. As beautiful as they are, it's just price gauging at this point and completely indefensible.

Back