Angel Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's on a base higher than Faith's, yet he looks almost as tall as her. I'll be doing some measuring when he arrives.

I was thinking the same thing, but if you look at Daves group shot, you can see Angel is about half a head taller than Faith.
Also i think Angel is at the same level as Faith on the base, its just that his base looks taller because of the little wall around the gargoyle, but remember Angels standing inside it. :)

Sometimes i love sideshow! Angel on board for delivery today, 4 days earlier than scheduled! woohoo! Go fed ex! :yess:

Angel's foot goes down into the base, so he's actually a decent amount taller. The statue is very pretty in person and I am very happy with it. But I will be keeping the vamp face on him. I couldn't help but see a young Patrick Swayze in the human sculpt. Don't get me wrong, I see David. But I also see Patrick.

Hmmmm I was holding out and just going to buy the regular from a reseller here in Australia that I often use, but looking at these pics I really dig the vampire portrait on the exclusive! I wonder if I ordered it now the wait list would convert :-/?

Well, I've been on the waitlist since March... still nothing :-/

To be technical about it (because I usually am), all the statues in this line have been slightly larger than 1:5. It's been closer to 1:4.5. In 1:5 scale, statue Faith and Willow, who are about 14.5" tall, would translate to be over 6 feet tall in 1:1.

If the statues were true 1:5 scale and accurate to the height of the actors who portrayed them, Angel would be a little over 14.5" and Faith and Willow would be 12.8", excuse my mixing imperial and metric. In this larger than 1:5 scale, Angel should be close to 2" taller than Faith or Willow. It's impossible to judge without taking a photo with the sightline level and the camera perpindicular to the center statue, or absent a ruler, but I am annoyingly impatient and can't wait to get Angel myself to stop speculating. So, it still appears to be a combination of Faith and Willow being too tall and Angel being too short (and Buffy and Spike fudgeable due to them being folded up).

Is this an academic argument? Quite possibly so, but I would also make the case that the overall petite stature of the BTVS actresses, particularly Buffy, was thematically and artistically important to a show about unassuming super-chicks. The physical contrast between Angel and Buffy emphasized the irony that Buffy was physically stronger than Angel.

None of that is apparent from these statues, particularly the female characters, but I get it that that's not the point of having statues meant solely for display. They are cool to look at, but are not really faithful to the shows when you dig deeper. It still irks me that they botched Willow so badly on so many levels (artistic, thematic, execution), and Buffy not that great, either. But they did recover with the last three, particularly Spike.

Although IMO Spike-Angel-Faith in that order seem more successfully executed because they are closer to their characters as depicted in the shows/canon, the point is to look cool, which is why a Xander or Giles statue will never be made, specifically, and why more generally BTVS and ATS, aside from Illyria and some of the Big Bads, are dead end properties for a company like Sideshow and today's market for leisure items.

Well, I've been on the waitlist since March... still nothing :-/

Well I'm on the flexpay for the Angel Statue and because the statue is being released early, I've only had one payment processed and the final one won't go through until mid July (of course I'll likely call and pay it all at once to have it now). I imagine there are others that have it on flexpay as well, so they might not organise the waitlist until more of the statues have been paid for or cancellations happen.

To be technical about it (because I usually am), all the statues in this line have been slightly larger than 1:5. It's been closer to 1:4.5. In 1:5 scale, statue Faith and Willow, who are about 14.5" tall, would translate to be over 6 feet tall in 1:1.

If the statues were true 1:5 scale and accurate to the height of the actors who portrayed them, Angel would be a little over 14.5" and Faith and Willow would be 12.8", excuse my mixing imperial and metric. In this larger than 1:5 scale, Angel should be close to 2" taller than Faith or Willow. It's impossible to judge without taking a photo with the sightline level and the camera perpindicular to the center statue, or absent a ruler, but I am annoyingly impatient and can't wait to get Angel myself to stop speculating. So, it still appears to be a combination of Faith and Willow being too tall and Angel being too short (and Buffy and Spike fudgeable due to them being folded up).

Is this an academic argument? Quite possibly so, but I would also make the case that the overall petite stature of the BTVS actresses, particularly Buffy, was thematically and artistically important to a show about unassuming super-chicks. The physical contrast between Angel and Buffy emphasized the irony that Buffy was physically stronger than Angel.

None of that is apparent from these statues, particularly the female characters, but I get it that that's not the point of having statues meant solely for display. They are cool to look at, but are not really faithful to the shows when you dig deeper. It still irks me that they botched Willow so badly on so many levels (artistic, thematic, execution), and Buffy not that great, either. But they did recover with the last three, particularly Spike.

Although IMO Spike-Angel-Faith in that order seem more successfully executed because they are closer to their characters as depicted in the shows/canon, the point is to look cool, which is why a Xander or Giles statue will never be made, specifically, and why more generally BTVS and ATS, aside from Illyria and some of the Big Bads, are dead end properties for a company like Sideshow and today's market for leisure items.

Exactly. Well noted. :goodpost:

I hope they haven't gotten sloppy with this just because it's (more than likely) the last piece in this line. I will reserve judgement till I get it in my hands, but am underwhelmed by those photos. The paint app looks dodge - wtf is with the hair/hairline :slap and it looks.. TOO black. I know Angel wore black alot but I don't know.. is the shirt too oversized? More form-fitting perhaps.. the way it hangs down makes him look... short. I dunno... I'm tired. lol Maybe I will just wait and get the regular from the reseller here in Oz. From the first glimpse I thought the vamp portrait looked more Angel but seeing these they just seem as poor as one another.. the paint clumping on the brow makes him look like he's applied too much foundation.

Don't they usually do 1/4 - 1/5 - 1/6 scales based on 6ft people? It works for the men whom are around that height, but for the women, in most cases they are made too large, especially where the female BTVS ones are concerned because they are 5'5" or shorter. If made to scale the Willow and Faith would be up around about at Angel's chin and no taller. The Buffy and Spike don't really matter because they are in a sitting and crouching position, so it's not as obvious.

I think perhaps the best way to display would be to have Angel up on a top shelf, with Spike on another top shelf and the others below them. I think that's how I'll try to display mine.

Sorry for the dark photos. But I threw them all on my table just so I could get a group shot. We're currently re-decorating and trying to make room for new shelves. So for now these are on our bar. But I moved them for the photo.

DSCN3611.jpg

Angel has arrived!

....Too lazy to open it up right now though. Review later though!

On a side note, I do that like Sideshow explicitly put the ES number/size on the side of the box, instead of me having to guess what the ES number is based on the slew of other numbers on the shipper.

As much as I want this statue NOW, I'm just gonna let my flexpay payments continue as scheduled (last payment is July 20). There's so much more that I want to get and I can't afford to pay it off all at once. At least I was able to get the Elvira in coffin PF. She looks awesome! I hope SS does more Elvira items.

Jeez, Angel is here. I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow. Need to make room for it next to Spike.

Ugh. Having issues. The gargoyle doesn't fit into the base. This is looking like a complete return.

Back