12" is not stopped

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand how people can say that $70 for Frodo or Sam is too much.The figures come with lots of unique accessories, lots of unique clothing items and a completely new body.
Do you gus actually think the amount of plastic is what makes a figure costly? :rolleyes:

What makes a figure costly is the amount of R&D that goes into it and the costs of tooling and making the molds.
In that respect, these figures are as expensive to produce as any other LOTR figure, and factoring in the cost of the new body, even more expensive to produce.

What? Just because they're small you expect them to be cheap? You are simply not understanding how much work goes into producing these figures. I'm not saying 70 bucks is cheap. What I'm saying is that if the new base price for intricate, licensed figures is already hovering at around 70-80 dollars, there is no reason to believe these guys should be cheaper.

I think with that whole phrase you sum up pretty well what a whiny typical 12'' doll collector is : a cheap person.No wonder Sideshow has problems selling its 1/6 stuff.70$ is a ok price for an average 12'' figure in the present day.

I think with that whole phrase you sum up pretty well what a whiny typical 12'' doll collector is : a cheap person.No wonder Sideshow has problems selling its 1/6 stuff.70$ is a ok price for a 12'' figure in the present day.

Give it a rest. You don't like dolls. We get it.

Shai is right tho. 1:6 collectors seem to expect fancy wine for beer prices. :(

$70 is a lot for a figure, especially if you going to double dip. (How can you have Frodo without Sam or visa versa?) The most I've ever paid for any of my collectibles is $70 and I've only done it once. Something has to be really compelling for me to fork over that kind of money again. At that price, the Hobbits nor Gandalf are compelling enough.

To me there's two types of 1/6 collectors. Ones that want to buy dolls for little $, and those that want the most accurate 1/6 representation of the actor/whatever as possible no matter the cost (hopefully within appropriate range)

How do you explain Hot Toys' success then?

To me there's two types of 1/6 collectors. Ones that want to buy dolls for little $, and those that want the most accurate 1/6 representation of the actor/whatever as possible no matter the cost (hopefully within appropriate range)

The typical HT collector and typical SW/LOTR collector are not even the same species, thats why. An HT collector knows what game they are getting into. A SW collector or someone who is coming from collecting things like baseball cards or 3 3/4 toys has a completely different mindset.

:monkey3

$70 is a lot for a figure, especially if you going to double dip. (How can you have Frodo without Sam or visa versa?) The most I've ever paid for any of my collectibles is $70 and I've only done it once. Something has to be really compelling for me to fork over that kind of money again. At that price, the Hobbits nor Gandalf are compelling enough.

So why not call the dairy and complain about the rising cost of milk? How about the corn industry for the rising cost of grain? And oil companies for (what until recently was) the highest prices for gas in the U.S. (UK/EU, I know, and I don't know why they do it either)? The fact is, as the dollar gets worth less and less, prices are just going to continue to rise. Inflation is a fact of life.

That aside, with the amount of detail that went into the Hobbits, from the new body (which to some rocked and others sucked), to the finely detailed/tailored costumes, to the sheer amount of accessories, I'll say we're lucky we didn't pay more. I'd hate to see what would happen if HotToys picked up the license. People don't like paying $70 for a Hobbit, imagine paying $170 for a Hobbit.

EDIT: It's also important to point out what exactly you're buying. You're buying a Sideshow Collectible. A high-end action figure. If the price is too high, perhaps collecting the less expensive ToyBiz line would be more preferable for those on a limited income.

The typical HT collector and typical SW/LOTR collector are not even the same species, thats why. An HT collector knows what game they are getting into. A SW collector or someone who is coming from collecting things like baseball cards or 3 3/4 toys has a completely different mindset.

A lot of people came from Hasbro like I did. Definitely a different mindset.

I think you're right here, pix.

The Hobbits were a good deal for all that they came with and Gandalf is stunning in detail and quality. Even HT couldn't have done better at $130+. My point being that you are getting a lot of craftsmanship and accessories for price. Coming from a $7 - 3 3/4" or $20 - 12" Hasbro figure, then these do seem like a lot, but they are certainly comparable with the rest of the high end 1:6 market.

A lot of people came from Hasbro like I did. Definitely a different mindset.

But not everyone - some of us are refugees from prop collecting after Master Replicas went belly up, so pretty much everything in 1/6 land seems inexpensive by comparison.

i dont care how much they cost honestly. i always knew what i was getting. they are worth every penny to me. i only collect 1/6 scale and only the high end stuff from SS and HT etc. no hasbro or toybiz if i can help it. sure the prices are high for what they are, but these are not really meant for everybody. they are supposed to be for serious collectors. i always think it's funny that all these young teenagers wanna collect all this stuff. where do they get the money? when i was a teenager i used to scrounge each week for enough cash to get a cheap 6-pack and take my girl out. never thought about dumping $100+ on collectibles. anyways, i really only get maybe 1 figure a month shipped to me sometimes 2 in a busy month. no big deal. that isnt going to break me. if i had a ^^^^ty job and struggled to make ends meet i wouldnt be getting these. they are not a neccessity. like i said, they are not for everybody.

I dunno. I collect everything from oldschool Hasbro G.I. Joe 3 3/4" to PFs and a few real props. Really, if you research the product before dropping your money on it, you should know what you're getting. Over the years, there've been a few turds that make me think, "$@%#, I paid ex number of $$$ for this?!" but it's been more the exception and not the rule. In recent history, there've only been a small amount that made me feel like I'm not getting my money's worth. Namely Hasbro's "poof" Chewie, Sideshow's Padme and Yavin Luke and Medicom's ROTS Vader and their Darth Maul. The latter burn a little more considering the pricepoint.

I've collected lots of things over the years, starting with the 3 3/4" Star Wars figures. I was pulled into my love of 12" or 1:6 scale figures with the first 12" Star Wars figures. I got a few of those, and then got into the 1982 G.I. Joe 3 3/4" figures. I've collected movie posters since 1984, and those can range anywhere in price from $15.00 to hundreds of dollars. I kept collecting 12" figures from various movies and properties I enjoyed up to now. I got turned on to Sideshow with their Sean Connery James Bond from Dr. No. I've always known how much I was spending, and what I was spending it on. I have no complaints about the pricing of Sideshow, Hot Toys or any other company. It is just the big deal with me is...affording it. I usually have to save up, or sell other figures that I already have to get new ones that I want. Like recently selling Frodo and Sam to get the exclusive Indiana Jones from Sideshow. I'm on a limited budget in a hobby that can become expensive fast. So, I get what I can...when I can. I enjoy this hobby and collecting what I can. If I wasn't on such a limited tight budget I could get much more than I've got already. But I've grown a big collection over the years that I'm proud of. :D

My problem seems to be that no matter when I place my pre-orders, all my stuff seems to ship at exactly the same time. Just this month alone I've received my Gandalf and zombie Santa figures, a free WOW statue from Spooktacular (not so free when you pay shipping and duty), and now I have Indiana Jones and the zombie Street Prophet on the way. And the HT Iron Man Mk. III can't be too far down the road...

I just don't have the discipline to squirrel money away months in advance. And that's just for this hobby. That's not counting DVDs, videogames and the other stuff on which I spend my money. It rains when it pours. :(

I don't buy anything for my self all year execpt food and the occational comic or game. (I bought GTA this year and thats it) The rest of my money thats not tide up in bills goes to the Collection. So my secret is to not buy all the DVD's and Games everymonth... save those wish list items for Birthdays and Christmas.

I dont think price is that much of an issue with most collectors, the hard cores want them at any price and the simple collector just thinks these are lame choices.

Do I spend money on Snake Eyes or Frodo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back