12" is not stopped

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The line is dead.

There are at least a half-dozen reasons for it's demise.

What bothers me the most is that they didn't attempt to complete the Fellowship Nine, at the very least. Throw your collectors a bone, if you will. That would have provided "some" form of completeness to the line, at the very least.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that no "baddies" were done, either. A Saruman and Ringwraith should have been a no-brainers...

So it's time to let this thread die and keep the custom figures threads alive and kicking. ;)

It's too bad really. LOTR is my favorite piece of literature and has surpassed the Star Wars saga as my all-time favorite films. But in a way I'm glad that the franchise is somewhat limited in the amount of collectibles that have been made available and has not gone the way of Star Wars, which is now even more ridiculously over-saturated with marketing BS and has become somewhat a caricature of itself in that regard. While it makes it more special to own LOTR stuff, it is also very painful knowing that we can't have a complete fellowship in this line. Unless you get something like this...

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_021104b.htm

aome_group.jpg

This line is deader than Saruman falling off the top of Orthanc.

It's too bad really. LOTR is my favorite piece of literature and has surpassed the Star Wars saga as my all-time favorite films. But in a way I'm glad that the franchise is somewhat limited in the amount of collectibles that have been made available and has not gone the way of Star Wars, which is now even more ridiculously over-saturated with marketing BS and has become somewhat a caricature of itself in that regard. While it makes it more special to own LOTR stuff, it is also very painful knowing that we can't have a complete fellowship in this line. Unless you get something like this...

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_021104b.htm

aome_group.jpg

I feel the same way. I would have easily dumped all of my other 12" figure lines for the LOTR line. That was the only line I would have considered being a "completist" on. That's a cool collection, by the way.

This line is deader than Saruman falling off the top of Orthanc.

:lol:lol:lol:lol

im telling you guys. be patient and im most sure we will see an incredible hot toys line of this line :)

For the LOTR line, I easily forgave the buck and the "loose" Hobbit bodies for the sheer awesomeness of the outfits and accessories. While some of the sculpts were off a bit, some were very good and the overall figures were easily some of Sideshow's best. Now why would I pay near $100 extra for pretty much the same thing on a TrueType? If they took the villains and started with those, possibly I might be interested. Although I'd take Sauroman and put him on a buck to match Gandalf. But, if they pick up the line and start with repeats, like Aragon, Gimli, Frodo, Sam, Boromir, Legolas and Gandalf (I don't think they'd do Faramir in the first or second batch) and it's likely that's what they'll do first, I'm out. Judging by peoples actions with the HellBoy line, some people are, as I already stated, full of crap anyways. Everyone screams "I'd buy!" and then these figures would sit in a warehouse and collect dust until they're discounted to wholesale or below. And when the first couple of fresh batches don't sell at $170+ which is what HT would charge, and retailers stop ordering because they can't move them at a profitable price, how long do you think the HT line will last? If you think Americans are in this business to make money, you should see the Asian markets. Especially in a cutthroat market like Hong Kong.

Saruman would actually have to be even taller than Gandalf. Christopher Lee is taller than Ian McKellan. So a taller Buck body would be needed.

The only way Hot Toys could succeed with a LOTR line would be if they were to in essence, "continue" the Sideshow LOTR line and simply release new and never done figures, such as Gimli, Pippin, Merry, Saruman, Orcs, Gondorians, etc...

I think that strategy would benefit both HT and SS in that those that collected the SS line would be a built-in customer base for new HT figures while the new HT figures could be great enough to bring in new customers and have them looking for the previously released SS figures.

For example, let's say HT releases a "Lurtz" figure. You would have people scrambling to pick up an SS "Boromir" and/or "Aragorn" in order to display them together. (vice-versa)

A HT "Saruman" would help move the SS "Gandalf". (vice-versa as well.)

HT could also go with different iterations of previously released by SS figures.

-Aragorn in "Black Gate" armor
-Boromir in "Osgiliath" 'For Gondor!' armor
-Gandalf the White
-Frodo and Sam in Orc disguises (could even re-use the HT/SS hobbit bodies and sculpts...)

Crap, listen to me... I can't believe I fell for this... I'm just sad to see this line board the elven ship at the Grey Havens... :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Crap, listen to me... I can't believe I fell for this...

:lol

It seems that this conversation just goes around and around, doesn't it?

Is it dead? How do you know? Maybe they'll make one more. Maybe HT will pick up the license... on and on it goes.

Tomorrow will be no different.

Just know -- Sideshow 1/6th LOTR is complete...um, finished.

But as you know, we can custom a Gimli relatively easily, and it looks like Merry and Pippin are coming soon too. So the Fellowship will be complete.

For the LOTR line, I easily forgave the buck and the "loose" Hobbit bodies for the sheer awesomeness of the outfits and accessories. While some of the sculpts were off a bit, some were very good and the overall figures were easily some of Sideshow's best. Now why would I pay near $100 extra for pretty much the same thing on a TrueType? If they took the villains and started with those, possibly I might be interested. Although I'd take Sauroman and put him on a buck to match Gandalf. But, if they pick up the line and start with repeats, like Aragon, Gimli, Frodo, Sam, Boromir, Legolas and Gandalf (I don't think they'd do Faramir in the first or second batch) and it's likely that's what they'll do first, I'm out. Judging by peoples actions with the HellBoy line, some people are, as I already stated, full of crap anyways. Everyone screams "I'd buy!" and then these figures would sit in a warehouse and collect dust until they're discounted to wholesale or below. And when the first couple of fresh batches don't sell at $170+ which is what HT would charge, and retailers stop ordering because they can't move them at a profitable price, how long do you think the HT line will last? If you think Americans are in this business to make money, you should see the Asian markets. Especially in a cutthroat market like Hong Kong.

I've been told that LotR just isn't popular in the Asian market, so it's unlikely that HT would be interested in picking it up. But HT and SSC work together closely - there would be less of a chance that if they did pick it up, they would do exact repeats. The TT and the Buck are the same height, so scale's not a problem - they'd just pick up with new characters.

But it's not going to happen.

I've been told that LotR just isn't popular in the Asian market, so it's unlikely that HT would be interested in picking it up. But HT and SSC work together closely - there would be less of a chance that if they did pick it up, they would do exact repeats. The TT and the Buck are the same height, so scale's not a problem - they'd just pick up with new characters.

But it's not going to happen.

The reason I'd pass on the repeats wouldn't be because of scale, it would be because I already have versions which I think are fine on their own. Even different versions don't really interest me. At this point, I just want to complete the fellowship (the ones Sideshow didn't make) and maybe pick up some key villains.

I'm still debating whether or not I'd even pick up a Gimli. I think yes, but the custom one we did, just about matches Sideshow's other Fellowship. Who am I kidding. I'd still pick him up. But definitely not repeats.

Yet, when it's all said and done, I agree. Either this line is done, or Sideshow's paced it with old people having sex.

I'm fairly confident we will get Merry n Pippin but after that.....

I'm fairly confident we will get Merry n Pippin but after that.....

I hope you're right, but I don't think it's going to happen. Lots of reasons why not and the only reason I think we would see them is to somehow cover SS's cost of the Hobbit body tooling. But since the 2 popular Hobbits didn't sell and SS had to cut their prices cut, I don't think they would view Merry and Pippin as big money makers for them, in fact probably the opposite. The best way for them to use that body again and for it to sell well are creatures in the SW line.

I'm not expecting to see Pip n Merry anytime soon - in the next year or two - but they might as well finish the hobbits. SS are gonna take their sweet time about it... if they are going to bother at all. Gimli will be too much of a hassle. Whoever said this thread goes round and round is right.... all of this has been speculated many times over.

:monkey4

This line is deader than Gollum after falling into Mount Doom

SS isn't going to put R&D money into figures they don't think will sell. I don't know of any rationale that explains why they would do so. :huh

Just a fool's hope, as Gandalf says.

The Hobbit film (dec 2011) is the only thing that will revive this line.

Well the fools hope worked out pretty well for Gandalf & co!

All I'm saying is that when Sam, Frodo and Gandalf finally sell thru then SS might... just might... cough up Merry n Pip. I really think this line got a bum deal. Too much other (very cool) stuff has been announced this year. Cant help feeling that LotR suffered due to hype and frequent releases of other big names like Batman/TDK including sixth scale vehicles!, Iron Man, more Preds, more SW to say the least. I know my willpower has been tested by all these announcements but I decided to stick to what I really like and give my wallet a break.

Maybe if SS did a well timed release of Merry n Pip then collectors may go back and buy the others? I dunno :duh

Well I did my small part by buying a Sam exclusive directly from Sideshow. I just don't know what takes them so long to ship an instock item! Plus I'm a little miffed that I most likely won't be getting the new calendar as I ordered on Monday, and they state the calendar will be included with new orders as of today!

Picked up four of the seven figures in one week. I might be winning two more this afternoon on the bay! I'm in this line now and definately want to see at least the final three fellowship members from Sideshow!

:rolleyes:

Welcome to Middle Earth, furystorm!

As for the line, I think it would have worked in their (SS) favor if they had developed a few figures, such as Gimli, Pip & Merry, and perhaps Saruman and a Ringwraith, but not announce them until they were close to being shipped. (similar to the current EII Obi Wan). This way excitement would not wan after a year of waiting. There would be less cancellations as well.

Well I did my small part by buying a Sam exclusive directly from Sideshow. I just don't know what takes them so long to ship an instock item! Plus I'm a little miffed that I most likely won't be getting the new calendar as I ordered on Monday, and they state the calendar will be included with new orders as of today!

Picked up four of the seven figures in one week. I might be winning two more this afternoon on the bay! I'm in this line now and definately want to see at least the final three fellowship members from Sideshow!

:rolleyes:

Just PM when you decide to start on your custom Gimli. I'll help you out with the project where needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back