1/6 Hot Toys - MMS264 - X-Men: DOFP: Wolverine Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot Toys should just collaborate with Sideshow Collectibles in releasing a X-Men line, it would be a higher quality, obviously higher price, and it would satisfy the X-men fans.

If you compare a release from Sideshow to Hot Toys, the fabric, tailoring and overall quality on Hot Toys is above from what I've seen from Sideshow, considering their DC line is nice but could always be better for the price. While Deadpool's release in their Marvel line looks fantastic, it's still a baggy suit, it's not off the page comic book per say but that doesn't always translate well. Now this can of course change due to it's being a prototype.

Before you critize someone's opinion for "lolz", you should probably hear why they feel that way instead of breaking out the meme parade, but I'll just be here crying about how the big mean poster said something scary on the internet.

This entire discussion makes me wonder if we will see more figures for X-Men Apocalypse. They will probably have at least some of the likeness rights worked out at that point and I can see Apocalypse scratching a billion worldwide making it the most successful X movie at that point. Add to that the already existing demand for some of these characters and I think we might actually get something out of this next movie.

Who here thinks we will see multiple figures for Apocalypse?

I think we'll get multiple figures for DOFP, not sure yet about Apocalypse.

I think we'll get multiple figures for DOFP, not sure yet about Apocalypse.

I hope you're right.

I really think this process might take a long time and HT will wait until Apocalypse to make a couple more figures. I have more faith in figures being made for Apocalypse than for DOFP just based on the wide ranging popularity of Apocalypse along with the epic nature of the event itself. DOFP reinvigorated many fans faith in the X-Men movie franchise and Apocalypse will capitalize on that in a big way. That being said I definitely think DOFP deserves a couple more figures. I just really doubt that HT is going to jump on that train with AOU coming up and with Star Wars figures being a major focus of production.

I hope you're right.

I really think this process might take a long time and HT will wait until Apocalypse to make a couple more figures. I have more faith in figures being made for Apocalypse than for DOFP just based on the wide ranging popularity of Apocalypse along with the epic nature of the event itself. DOFP reinvigorated many fans faith in the X-Men movie franchise and Apocalypse will capitalize on that in a big way. That being said I definitely think DOFP deserves a couple more figures. I just really doubt that HT is going to jump on that train with AOU coming up and with Star Wars figures being a major focus of production.

yeah it did...... and HT will still just make Wolverine :cuss

If you compare a release from Sideshow to Hot Toys, the fabric, tailoring and overall quality on Hot Toys is above from what I've seen from Sideshow, considering their DC line is nice but could always be better for the price. While Deadpool's release in their Marvel line looks fantastic, it's still a baggy suit, it's not off the page comic book per say but that doesn't always translate well. Now this can of course change due to it's being a prototype.

Before you critize someone's opinion for "lolz", you should probably hear why they feel that way instead of breaking out the meme parade, but I'll just be here crying about how the big mean poster said something scary on the internet.

maybe if theyre going to make such a bold claim they could initially reinforce their point...

and one meme does not make a "parade"

This is one of Hot Toys best facesculpts. I hope the woman, that is responsible for this work make a Arnorld Scharzenegger Tech Noir 2.0 and Dutch sculpt.

Look forward to this figure. Really like the sculpt. HT (with the exception of some members of GOTG) has really been producing beautiful, realistic figures lately. This figure gives me hope for new characters

HT has had other licenses they didn't do anything with, and licenses where prototypes were produced and nothing came from them. This is another instance where we have no idea how much of a role actual approval of likenesses plays. But of course it could be that. Fassbender has allowed his likeness to be used with Prometheus figures however.

With that film, and most others, the actors sign over all merchandising likeness rights to the studio as part of their compensation as negotiated before they sign on for any film, or block of films(as was the case for Prometheus).

But with this xmen film, which is unique even among the x-flicks, the studio (fox) opted to intentionally leave certain likeness rights out of the actors contracts, mostly due to ongoing turmoil with marvel. So, again, this film (DOFP) is not the same. With Prometheus toys, Fassbender would not have had to sign off. They toy company would not ever even have to tell him(depending on if he got a cut of profits from merch included in contract though that does not mean he has approval authority) but with xmen films hot toys would be required to negotiate directly with Fass and/or his agent/management team.

So basically from a hypothetical business standpoint, Magneto wouldn't logically sell because it's just not supported by previous releases of the characters. I just don't agree with this approach as the precedent you have offered and used to gauge said "interest" doesn't even account for the biggest factor behind this: we don't just want another "Magneto", we want a Magneto as depicted by Fassbender. In this regard, really there isn't any evidence to suggest if the character would sell or not, at this point I'd rather see HT actually take a risk to see if there's any genuine interest.

So basically he wouldn't sell because, as you're arguing, logically speaking that's the best and most economical way to gauge interest. So then....

Okay now you lost me there. You said that claims of Magneto selling is not a supported notion on the basis of HT gauging interest from existing releases of the same character that is "Magneto" (NOT "Fassneto") but now you've gone back and argued that the only reason they think this is because of the risk and hassle it'd take to go through with it NOT because Fassneto wouldn't actually sell as a popular character.

Seriously, I think you need to be more clear on where you stand in all of this. But since I can read between the lines, I think I know where you're going with this so I feel I should bring this up....

Well there we go. I feel I should say that a lot of people know about this to SOME degree. It's been discussed to death already that the entire X-Men movie merchandising biz is one huge cluster-F. Yet that's all the more reason why people are still vocal about this.

Our complaints of HT not making Fassneto isn't because of some mob mentality of "I don't trust HT", rather we want our voices heard. We know it's a hassle, we know it's a risk, but it's all the more reason for us to make some noise over it. Unless you're telling me with absolute certainty that it's completely 100% unlikely for HT to attempt Fassneto, then I don't see any reason why people should stop advocating for it or talk about it.

Fair points. Though my argument if read as a whole is lot more linear then it looks when pulling a sentence here and there. I've been explaining things from both how hot toys and those directly involved see it. Not what I hope or want to happen, but what has/is happened and what information goes into the process of making these.

To be clear...what I do hope and want is that they make every single character from every single film. In fact I hope that every fan of every property/film gets every figure they want.

That is not what I THINK will happen though.

As for the idea that because Bowen and other statues have sold means there's ENOUGH interest in the characters and property to be worth the time and money, and here's the kicker..worth enough to take the time and resources AWAY from another property is just not comparable. And the fact that secondary prices rise on sold out items has zero effect on judging interest. That's like saying because a Michael Jordan 1/1 auto card is worth 50k on secondary market that upper deck should make millions of them. Just not how it works. Secondary prices have little impact on business and with statues the production costs are so much less and the production numbers are so far apart it's not a real good comparison. Don't you think a place like Bowen that's been around decades would increase production numbers if the sales were there? There's a reason that for 20 or 30 years the amount of each statue produced, across almost every company, is about the same. The market won't support more.

willis.jpg

I'm worried the Fass will not approve any figures. Clive Owen did the same back in 05 with his Dwight figure, although he has come around now for DST.

Back