1/6 Hot Toys - MMS264 - X-Men: DOFP: Wolverine Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X-Men (2000) had a worldwide gross of $297 Million back in 2000. It made $157 Million Domestically.
X2 (2003) had a worldwide gross of $408 Million back in 2003. It made $214 Million Domestically.

Without 3D, IMAX, and with admission tickets literally half the price of those non-3D or IMAX tickets to 2012's Avengers - its arguable that the two franchises are that different popularity-wise.

Add to that the MUCH MUCH smaller internet hype of the early 2000s when compared to 2012 - when trailers now get millions of views in minutes.

I always find the comparison of successful franchises decades apart to be trivial. Too many things have to be factored in.

Personally, the fact that Days of Future Past grossed $746 Million worldwide for the 7th film in a 14-year-old franchise is VERY impressive to me. Avengers is also impressive but its a much newer series that's barely peaked.

Adjusted gross for inflation is an easy way to gauge. If that doesn't work for you then how about total ticket sales? To me that's how you judge true intrest in a film. The price paid doesn't matter. To me. That's more for the studios. You need it for profit margins ect...but if you want to gauge overall intrest in a property or film number of times it's seen seems like the best way. By that standard the x films are not so good. They are (depending on which movie) somewhere between 110ish and 550 all time. In comparison Avengers is 29, iron man 42(I think. It's in the forties anyway). gone with the wind is number one. 232 million ticket sales. Internet hype was a little less back then as well, so saying avengers did better then Xmen because of the hype machine really doesn't hold water, when gone with the wind nearly tripled avengers ticket sales. In number of tickets. Not price or adjusted. Just the number of tickets used to watch in theaters. And yes that includes multiple theater re-releases. Avengers was 77 million tickets.

Just for a bit of a comparison..home alone, 101 Dalmatians, gold finger, I am legend(will smith version) both Spider-Man 1 and 2, and a boat load of other movies did more tickets total then any x film. Despite how popular it may be in same aspects, it's not as widely accepted as you might think. I'm not trying to bash the franchise. I love xmen. I have nearly every main (uncanny, ultimate, wolverine) xmen comic ever made. I have four xmen tattoos. I helped pick out my best friends sons name. He's my godson but it's more like my nephew. His name is Logan. So i LOVE the franchise. Look at my handle. MOTUXMEN...Masters of the universe and X-men. Same as my email. Which I've had since the mid 1990s.

But I'm also realistic about the reasons, business wise, that I don't get the awesome toys and props I want from either of my two favorite franchises. When Batman Forever has 10 million more tickets used to see it then the highest number used for any xmen related film it speaks to the lack of main stream acceptance that would need to be in place to support a good merchandising inventory. Sorry my friend.

SS has been having "lightning deals" where some codes, discounts and free shipping work for a short time then rotate.

Took these pics in Hong Kong.

The glass and reflections made it difficult so they are a bit soft.

PC051479_zpsabddc819.jpg

PC051480_zps16bf65d5.jpg

PC051481_zpsb6c7044b.jpg

PC051482_zpsb4cb4bee.jpg

PC051483_zps0c95a2eb.jpg

Looks great. Almost makes me sorry I bought The Wolverine version. Not sure I am enough of a Wolvie fan to justify having 2 of them.

Back