Zack Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So most of the opinions are negative, deal with it ..if the movie is rated badly by the majority of people don't expect the majority of comments to be positive.

It is how the dramatic tension works. I don't understand why it's being criticized for it though. How are you supposed to fight something when there's nothing to fight? :dunno

If feminism is about 'empowerment' that is all their alleged philosophy amounts to. The entire point of view depends on the existence of rape, and without it, all you have are women competing with men as equals, with no need for any kind of 'levelling of the playing field'.

Is that why the feminist reaction to this movie is so hostile?
I read backwards from the last page expecting to get a sensible post from you and I am trying my hardest to dissect this one in a good way.

Speaking as a victim of sexual abuse, and a headstrong female (though I wouldn't say feminist), I don't see any connection, whatsoever, between female equality and rape. None. Anywhere. Rape is not a female-specific crime. Men are raped, by men AND women. Sure not as often but it does happen. But that's neither here nor there.

And there was rape in 300, attempted rape in Watchmen, and apparently (I don't think I will be watching this movie) these girls are treated like prostitutes whether in Baby Doll's head or not, or this "Blue" guard guy abuses them, I'm getting enough info from respectable posters to tell me this movie definitely wants to imply sexual abuse (even if it's not on screen - and you guys saying there is such a vast difference between it being shown or not, shut the ____ up).

Sorry IrishJedi, I know you are friends with Zack Snyder (you're defending him like a rabid dog), but it sure sounds to me like he does treat female characters with the mentality of a 14 year old.

And.....despite all of the female power adverts and trailers, I've read the spoilers in this thread and I know how the film ends. There's nothing admirable about the Baby Doll character that I can find. She's a lunatic, a victim, and really loses the battle in the end.

Don't all you guys come down on me with the "Well you haven't seen it so you can't say!" I want to hear more of Hunnipot and Jen's interpretations, and any other females who saw this movie. Jen's posts implied sexual abuse, and Hunnipot said she had an "Ick" feeling.

A man can never tell a woman what girl power is, because he does not know what it's like to be female. He doesn't notice the sexism, the victimization, the feeling of being nothing more than a quick lay, because that's all you're worth. No. A man cannot understand feminism. So all of you guys defending Snyder, saying this film is girl-empowering, you're talking out of your asses. Let the girls decide whether this film makes them proud or ashamed of their own gender.

Let the girls decide whether this film makes them proud or ashamed of their own gender.

I definitely would hope this film wouldn't make any female ashamed of her own gender. It was made by a man, after all. We're the ones that should be embarrassed for any demeaning qualities it may or may not have.

Cloud, every attempted rape (Two...) it ends in triumpth for the girls.

And Baby Doll isnt a loon. She just did one terrible thing to try and save someone, and it backfired. Her quest is for redemption to save the other girls.

You can decide empowerment if you wish, but when Baby Doll dances, she seduces the men....and the audience with badass action scenes. She's doing that to us, just as she's doing it to the men she's dancing in front of.

You'd think, but men don't tend to own up to these things. Even if the general census was "demeaning", us girls don't get an apology. We never do. And this movie is marketed to the world as what Americans want to see. ANY implication of sexual abuse...hurts.

Has there ever been a strong female character who fights, that has not had been either raped, or someone attempted too? I cant think of any.

It's a super easy way to gain the attention of the audience. Not saying I agree....but it's just...yeah.

a couple people in this thread are ____ing idiots. im sorry but when youre a male and start preaching about PETA or pro-feminist ideals from a movie like this, and the women in this thread enjoyed the movie.... you may as well cut off your ____ and call it a day.

Has there ever been a strong female character who fights, that has not had been either raped, or someone attempted too? I cant think of any.

It's a super easy way to gain the attention of the audience. Not saying I agree....but it's just...yeah.

I deleted that post because it was fueling a fire that I'm not sure I want to be involved in. I wanted to throw in my unique point of view, relating to the girls in this film probably better than anyone else at this site as being both a victim and having spent time in a few psych wards.

And there are a lot of strong female role models in this world who were never raped or attacked in a sexual way.

The problem here is that men equate women = sex. And some men ONLY see women = sex. That's when rape enters the picture.

Well...I ment female action heroes...not role models.

And I think that sex statement fits perfectly with the villains of the movie. The girls USED that power to defeat them. Which I thought was great.

Surprising considering you're an Alien fan: Ellen Ripley.

Jamie Summers: The Bionic Woman
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Xena: Warrior Princess (TV)
Supergirl (Helen Slater)
Sydney Bristow (Alias)
Damn near every character Michelle Yeoh has ever played.

Really? I quite like this song on the soundtrack.

It's been a while since I've watched it, but didn't Spike rape Buffy in one of the later season's episodes?

Even if she was she was still kicking ass leading up that, so her will to fight has nothing to do with getting raped.

Back