Zack Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ It's really not that bad in this movie....:eek:

I hope that's the case. If someone wants to see it with me I will go, if not I'll probably catch it on Netflix eventually.

But you can see my reasoning, as I'm already predisposed to dislike it because of what I'm reading in this thread. And you know I'm like a dog with a bone when I have valid reason to argue. ;) I don't want to watch the movie and end up being right about how I'm interpreting some people's posts.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

I hope that's the case. If someone wants to see it with me I will go, if not I'll probably catch it on Netflix eventually.

But you can see my reasoning, as I'm already predisposed to dislike it because of what I'm reading in this thread. And you know I'm like a dog with a bone when I have valid reason to argue. ;) I don't want to watch the movie and end up being right about how I'm interpreting some people's posts.

There's 2 scenes....and like I said, they both DO end well. No one gets raped on screen. And the implied stuff is very much implied. Not overt, or in your face.

Spoiler Spoiler:

She's a lunatic, a victim, and really loses the battle in the end.

Baby Doll accidentally kills her sister while trying to protect her. The she "protects" Sweet Pea and helps her escape, thus gaining some level of redemption for not being able to save her sister. I don't see that as losing the battle in the end.

Not everyone subscribes to the Randroid dictionary. :)

How many people subscribe to common sense?

Juxtapose that with how many zombies subscribe to post-modern radical social theory.

barbelith said:
Nobody claimed this.

I wasn't clear. What I meant was that suffragism has nothing to do with feminism. All people have the right to representation in their government, and there is nothing special about women being denied that right, or racial minorities, or any particular demographic.

Is the act of a man standing up for his rights masculism? :dunno

Speaking as a victim of sexual abuse, and a headstrong female (though I wouldn't say feminist), I don't see any connection, whatsoever, between female equality and rape. None. Anywhere. Rape is not a female-specific crime. Men are raped, by men AND women. Sure not as often but it does happen. But that's neither here nor there.

You don't see rape as a violation of female equality?

That's the only connection I'm aware of. What I am saying is that the only time someone needs 'empowerment' is when power has been taken from them, and the only way to take power from a woman qua woman, is through rape. If feminism is a doctrine of female empowerment, then rape is integral to the doctrine.

A man raped by another man has been feminized. A man raped by a woman was feminized to begin with.

Cloud said:
And there was rape in 300, attempted rape in Watchmen, and apparently (I don't think I will be watching this movie) these girls are treated like prostitutes whether in Baby Doll's head or not, or this "Blue" guard guy abuses them, I'm getting enough info from respectable posters to tell me this movie definitely wants to imply sexual abuse (even if it's not on screen - and you guys saying there is such a vast difference between it being shown or not, shut the ____ up).

Spoiler Spoiler:

Because that is what this movie is.

Cloud said:
Sorry IrishJedi, I know you are friends with Zack Snyder (you're defending him like a rabid dog), but it sure sounds to me like he does treat female characters with the mentality of a 14 year old.

Actually, he's persistently defending him against the shallow histrionics of people who want to impugn the director with the same crime he's opposing by making the film.

What would you do if you knew better?

Cloud said:
There's nothing admirable about the Baby Doll character that I can find. She's...a victim, and really loses the battle in the end.

Spoiler Spoiler:

If you can watch this and not admire her, I don't know what your problem is.

Cloud said:
A man can never tell a woman what girl power is, because he does not know what it's like to be female.

Had it ever occurred to you that men and women have the same 'power'?

Cloud said:
He doesn't notice the sexism, the victimization, the feeling of being nothing more than a quick lay, because that's all you're worth. No. A man cannot understand feminism.

Speak for yourself.

Last edited:
Baby Doll accidentally kills her sister while trying to protect her. The she "protects" Sweet Pea and helps her escape, thus gaining some level of redemption for not being able to save her sister. I don't see that as losing the battle in the end.

Spoiler Spoiler:

No point in arguing with Devilo, he KNOWS he's always right about EVERYthing.

"Smart people are very good at rationalizing things they've come to learn for non-smart reasons."
~Dr. Michael Shermer

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Cloud - I will be honest, I wasn't offended by this movie - nor did I feel any sort of empowerment. These girls are in a horrible situation and as someone else said, use their sexuality to get the upper hand in situations against their perpetrators. One girl gets saved in the end and manages to escape. The others are all victims in the end. It is shot beautifully and visually is very stunning. With all the fantasy sequences it made it difficult for me to emotionally connect with any of the characters...even though I knew what was really going on in the unseen reality. In the end I felt like I had just watched a 2 hour trailer.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back