Zack Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rape AND attempted rape AND implied rape all mean the same thing at the end of the day.

The same subject matter, sure. But all one and the same on a visceral level? Certainly not. In fact, I personally cannot stomach watching an actual rape scene in a film. They bother me greatly on a personal level. That or any scene with a woman or child being explicitly abused just shakes me to my core and I simply can't watch it. In fact, I've skipped past that scene in 300 every single time I've watched it since the initial viewing. Same with rape scenes in other films. I walked out of the theater during the rape scene in THE HILLS HAVE EYES and will never watch another frame of that movie. Talk about tasteless.

So, yeah... I for one can tell the difference between the serious, disturbing subject matter or "implied rape" and actually presenting the horrific act itself. I can tell because I can handle the former in a film, but not the latter.

Implied rape would be, if a man looks a woman with a creepy look in a room, and then he slowly shuts the door.

When the Alien snakes it's tail up Lambert's leg...that's implied.

But when Blue rams Baby Doll into a mirror, unbuttoning his shirt, talking about how he wants to "play" with his "toys"...that's attemped. He was attempting to rape her.

Just saying....

Really like this

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OcxRtLpkAkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's not even bad. Just two scenes that do actually end well.

Well the implied rape and all.

I have a bad memory of abuse, when I was a kid.

And I'm liable to get VERY opinionated if these girls are abused too. And I don't want to add to the cluster____ that is this thread.

Really like this

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OcxRtLpkAkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really don't like any of the cover songs on the soundtrack but I will say that I really like Emily Browning. Although I don't like her in this film I think she's got a lot of potential and is a talented young actress.

And I'm liable to get VERY opinionated if these girls are abused too. And I don't want to add to the cluster____ that is this thread.

See it, then develop your opinion. I think you'll be surprised how overt this stuff ISN'T. People are blowing those elements WAY out of proportion.

It is how the dramatic tension works. I don't understand why it's being criticized for it though. How are you supposed to fight something when there's nothing to fight? :dunno

If feminism is about 'empowerment' that is all their alleged philosophy amounts to. The entire point of view depends on the existence of rape, and without it, all you have are women competing with men as equals, with no need for any kind of 'levelling of the playing field'.

Is that why the feminist reaction to this movie is so hostile?

The entire point of view depends on the existence of rape, and without it, all you have are women competing with men as equals, with no need for any kind of 'levelling of the playing field'.

I'm pretty sure Sylvia Pankhurst would disagree. :)

I think you would be offended by the movie.

I don't have any personal experiences, but I still felt uncomfortable with how the movie had women being treated. It was almost like Zack Snyder has a sick and twisted fantasy of how he thinks women should be treated...and it isn't nice.

After replaying the controversial scenes over and over (since I downloaded the movie), I still couldn't see it any other way. After the film I read other reviews on-line and I found that I wasn't the only person who thought this way.

By the way, I travel all over the world and have seen brothels like the one shown in the movie where women are forced to "perform" against their will, so maybe that's why I'm a little sensitive about the subject. It's not going to be for everyone and with out spoiling the movie for you, you might be surprised (or upset) with how the characters end up at the end of the movie.

Last edited:
It was almost like Zack Snyder has a sick and twisted fantasy of how he thinks women should be treated...and it isn't nice.

I wouldn't go that far. But it's pretty obvious from his treatment of sexuality in previous films that Snyder's basically a fourteen-year-old boy. It should come as no surprise that he makes the kind of movies fourteen-year-old boys want to see, with all that implies.

I think you're being shallow.

The issue is whether the film approves of the situation or not. What cause for offense is there in the mere depiction, particularly since he took the root of 'obscene' literally (from the Greek, obscena - that which is to not be shown on stage) and hid it with the brothel illusion?

I wouldn't go that far. But it's pretty obvious from his treatment of sexuality in previous films that Snyder's basically a fourteen-year-old boy. It should come as no surprise that he makes the kind of movies fourteen-year-old boys want to see, with all that implies.

Okay, I can accept that, but is the movie suitable for a young boy and is it good enough for an adult to enjoy. That right there is the problem, because it fails to find the targeted audience...which seems to be the 14 year old kid at heart adults, because there aren't too many out there.

Cue I Spit on Your Grave. :)

Except that didn't have much in the way of respect for obscena. :wink1:

Sucker Punch isolated the girl's own glorification of her courage as the subject matter of the film. That emphasis conveys one simple message: that in the full extent of the events of the story, the only metaphysically important fact was her attempt to escape, and her ability to inspire the same courage in the other girls. Physical victory/failure was beside the point. In the face of inevitable destruction, she was spiritually victorious.

I think the fact that she never physically succumbed in the entire film is also telling as regards the intentions of the director.

I think the fact that she never physically succumbed in the entire film is also telling as regards the intentions of the director.

I think the fact that she does it in fetish gear is pretty telling as regards the intentions of the director.

Does anyone think there will be a rape scene in superman. General Zod might attempt to rape Lois and then superman saves the day.

Back