X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cyclops was there at the beginning, and stayed on pretty consistently through 200 issues, until he left and went to X-Factor. Personally, after Prof. X, I think Cyclops is the single most important X-Man of them all. He was the protege to Professor X, the glue that held the team together on multiple occasions, the leader of a bunch of freaks and weirdos who weren't natural teammates or friends. A real shame how he has been underutilized. I know these movies are going to be Wolverine first, everyone else second, but he was hardly even in these films, much less being a developed character the audience might care about.

Cyclops was there at the beginning, and stayed on pretty consistently through 200 issues, until he left and went to X-Factor. Personally, after Prof. X, I think Cyclops is the single most important X-Man of them all. He was the protege to Professor X, the glue that held the team together on multiple occasions, the leader of a bunch of freaks and weirdos who weren't natural teammates or friends. A real shame how he has been underutilized. I know these movies are going to be Wolverine first, everyone else second, but he was hardly even in these films, much less being a developed character the audience might care about.
Agreed he's a major character was tossed to the side for Singers wolverine vision.

Must've been his love for the Backstreet Boys.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/0...g-on-the-origins-of-x-men-days-of-future-past

Simon Kingberg interview.

How the sequel to First Class became "Let's get the whole gang back."

It was a process. After we were done with First Class, Matthew Vaughn, myself, and Bryan [Singer] were all talking about what we would do for the sequel. Initially, we were just going to follow the First Class cast on the next adventure. Then we started talking about potentially using Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart as bookends to the movie -- not as Days of Future Past, but just as sort of emotional bookends to the film. As we started developing that and as I started going through comics and thinking about a story that would be a cross-generational story, I came on Days of Future Past, which is one of my favorite runs in the comic. Then I pitched that, and Matthew loved the idea of it. Bryan was excited about it, and the studio got really excited. The thing that was daunting was getting this cast together -- schedule-wise, deal-wise, all of that, all of those logistics. But creatively everybody got really excited about it. That was probably spring of last year [2012]. Then I wrote the first draft of the script in the spring and the summer with Matthew primarily -- Vaughn was going to direct at the time. Then Matthew fell off the movie and Bryan came on from producing to directing, and we continued to work on the script in the fall and the beginning of this year. But it was just this process of, "How do we tell a story that feels like not just a repeat or a continuation, but an expansion of First Class?” We wanted to bring in the old Charles and Erik, and then from there it sort of evolved.

If the timelines of First Class and the original cast can be brought together in this film.

Well, it's interesting, because they still live in their coherent timelines. We have the characters from the original movies that take place in the timeline of X-Men 1 through 3, and then we have our X-Men: First Class characters that take place in the past. So given that we wanted to bridge those two casts, Days of Future Past is a comic that did it with time travel. I think initially we were all a little bit nervous about time travel because, you know, it's been done a lot in movies. It's really challenging as a writer to keep the logic of time travel straight and tell a story that isn't just servicing the sort of "A to B" butterfly effect of the time travel. We just didn't want it to be cheesy. The time travel element is something we talked about a lot -- setting up the rules of that time travel, setting up the stakes so that you have real stakes and goals in the future and the past story.

Cyclops only existed in Singer's X-Men movies to make wolverine look better... and for that I hate him for it.

He definitely looked the part. His performance wasn't exactly commanding though, more like preppy snob who gets outdone every time by the rough and tumble kid at school.

Cyclops only existed in Singer's X-Men movies to make wolverine look better... and for that I hate him for it.

He definitely looked the part. His performance wasn't exactly commanding though, more like preppy snob who gets outdone every time by the rough and tumble kid at school.
I guess that's the side effect of making Wolvie the real star attraction. Not much different than in Avengers, where Captain America was humbled at every turn by RDJ's Tony Stark, who was smarter, wiser/more insightful, funnier, more likable, a better leader, etc.

I guess that's the side effect of making Wolvie the real star attraction. Not much different than in Avengers, where Captain America was humbled at every turn by RDJ's Tony Stark, who was smarter, wiser/more insightful, funnier, more likable, a better leader, etc.

As limited as Cap was compared to Tony/Banner/Thor, Cyclops had all the charisma of Hawkeye and about 1/10th as useful. Maybe Marsden didn't put out for Singer? :dunno :lol

But I'm not sure Cyclops needs to be charismatic. In fact, in the comics, I don't think he was. He was a guy who was put into the position as leader by Xavier because he had good sense, a strong work ethic, and was motivated to do the right thing. His willingness to do the right thing for the mutant cause, and to help humanity is what helped him keep those teams together and functioning. More Jimmy Carter than Ronald Reagan in leadership style. I think that's something they could have built on, as I think it's appropriate that a group of rag-tag freaks would have an unconventional leader. But on the other hand, we didn't get a chance to see him really lead the X-Men at all, so who knows if Marsden would have come off in believable in that role or not.

cyclops-blast.gif

But I'm not sure Cyclops needs to be charismatic. In fact, in the comics, I don't think he was. He was a guy who was put into the position as leader by Xavier because he had good sense, a strong work ethic, and was motivated to do the right thing. His willingness to do the right thing for the mutant cause, and to help humanity is what helped him keep those teams together and functioning. More Jimmy Carter than Ronald Reagan in leadership style. I think that's something they could have built on, as I think it's appropriate that a group of rag-tag freaks would have an unconventional leader. But on the other hand, we didn't get a chance to see him really lead the X-Men at all, so who knows if Marsden would have come off in believable in that role or not.

I always saw him as Xavier's goodietwoshoes tool. :huh Something the movie obviously exploited. :lol

The movies are more about Wolverine and him being the leader as opposed to Cyclops because you just know Singer likes the "bad boy".

Cyclops never stood a chance.

As limited as Cap was compared to Tony/Banner/Thor, Cyclops had all the charisma of Hawkeye and about 1/10th as useful. Maybe Marsden didn't put out for Singer? :dunno :lol

He obviously put out enough to get taken along to the Superman franchise when Singer crossed over. :lol

Back