X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'd love to see Aaron Eckhart play Cyclops in a reboot (with clearly an older experienced Cyclops, not the BS teen stuff they're gonna F F4 over with). Does anybody else have any particular reboot castings in mind?

Or is this going off topic too much?

Funny, that's the exact opposite of my situation. Although I did like trailer 3, overall the marketing for this film, imo, is outright terrible. It slavishly tries to hit beats from preceding CB movies that succeeded.

I genuinely hope the film is a LOT better than its marketing.:lol

Also, Cyclops was dead to begin with. Utterly empty character in this film series and nothing but a **** block so Wolverine could stay angry.

Go back and watch them, these films have always had Wolverine as the centre and Singer initiated that. He created an environment in which Cyclops honestly didn't really have any room to begin with. Wolverine was the main character with the main arc to make the audience connect with. Everyone was engaged from his POV.

I will go into DoFP open minded and I might like it as a film, but at the core I will always be pro an entire reboot without question. Cyclops to me is the real X-men leader in the field and deserves at the very least as much engaging screen time and character arcs as Wolverine.

As far as I've concerned I've never seen Cyclops on the cinema screen and it's still the number 1 marvel character I wanna see (done well) for once.

EDIT: Look back at the promo images for X1 and 2, there's absolutely no question that Wolverine has been the central character in this franchise from the very first film onward. Yes X3 was a debacle, but honestly it's ridiculous that a setup from 2000 still rules this franchise. It's literally retarded.

The marketing has been perfect in my opinion. The trailers have barely given any of the plot away. Unlike most trailers these days, they seem to be saving the best parts for the actual movie.

I’m a huge X-Men fan, and Gambit is my favorite X-Man, but I don’t want the whole series rebooted just so they can get his character right. This franchise has made two films that reside in my top 10 superhero movie list, if DOFP is a great film and makes good money, then why should they reboot the franchise?

Sure Fox has made 2 bad films in the series, and have taken some liberties, but what Studio hasn’t done that with their superhero property? Marvel does is it all the time, but people don’t seem to care much. I personally feel Robert Downey has been doing a terrible job at emulating Tony Stark. He basically gave him Spiderman’s personality, but Marvel fans seem to love it. Seriously, just picture what a Spiderman/Iron Man conversation would be like in the Marvel cinematic universe.

Why is it always Sony and Fox taking so much criticism when a majority of their films range from good to great?

Funny, that's the exact opposite of my situation. Although I did like trailer 3, overall the marketing for this film, imo, is outright terrible. It slavishly tries to hit beats from preceding CB movies that succeeded.

I genuinely hope the film is a LOT better than its marketing.:lol

Also, Cyclops was dead to begin with. Utterly empty character in this film series and nothing but a **** block so Wolverine could stay angry.

Go back and watch them, these films have always had Wolverine as the centre and Singer initiated that. He created an environment in which Cyclops honestly didn't really have any room to begin with. Wolverine was the main character with the main arc to make the audience connect with. Everyone was engaged from his POV.

I will go into DoFP open minded and I might like it as a film, but at the core I will always be pro an entire reboot without question. Cyclops to me is the real X-men leader in the field and deserves at the very least as much engaging screen time and character arcs as Wolverine.

As far as I've concerned I've never seen Cyclops on the cinema screen and it's still the number 1 marvel character I wanna see (done well) for once.

EDIT: Look back at the promo images for X1 and 2, there's absolutely no question that Wolverine has been the central character in this franchise from the very first film onward. Yes X3 was a debacle, but honestly it's ridiculous that a setup from 2000 still rules this franchise. It's literally retarded.

The last two trailers I should say have truly won me over. I loved the mix of the Inception theme with them and the final trailer (might have showed too much) had one intriguing shot after the other.

I see your point with Cyclops. He didn't deserve that kind of treatment. I feel like Nightcrawler got shafted as well, he was nothing like the badass he should have been. But I get Wolverine being the main star. He's arguably X-Men's most popular character and he was portrayed rather perfectly by Hugh Jackman. Actually, I will correct myself. He was very different from the source, but he was portrayed to be the best character and when you have Hugh Jackman as that kind of character, he becomes the story. Marvel did the same with casting RDJ as Tony Stark (which I like him way more than the comic Tony Stark) and it suddenly became HIS Avengers because the audiences are most enthralled by him, so he's got to be the one that saves the day. These films allow them to emulate pre-existing storylines and characters, but it's obvious to me that these studios want to keep their central characters in the spotlight at all times, even if it contradicts the source material.

Star-power can really make something ordinary into something extraordinary, from a Hollywood studio's point of view. Look at Depp's Captain Jack. That series should not have sustained that long. Downey has become the true comeback kid with his role as Tony Stark. 90% of the audiences don't really give a crap about what the comics said or did anyway.

If they do ever reboot it, I want an already fully formed team with no Wolverine. Hell, I'd take Morph over Logan. Just no more of these getting the band back together for the first hour plots.

If they do ever reboot it, I want an already fully formed team with no Wolverine. Hell, I'd take Morph over Logan. Just no more of these getting the band back together for the first hour plots.

Exactly I just recently become a big cyclops fan it's wrong what they did to his character IMO he's the heart of the Xmen and if the movies he's a joke.

I'd love it if the ending to this movie would be for Wolverine to wonder if he'd succeeded in the past. Then we get a time jump to 50 or so years later, and we see him waking up in a bed at Xavier's mansion. Long story short, it ends with some iconic X-Men location being called back to as they have a mission, and we see them going to the Blackbird through the hangar; Scott in his Blue, hooded uniform, Logan in his yellow and blue, etc.

I'd love it if the ending to this movie would be for Wolverine to wonder if he'd succeeded in the past. Then we get a time jump to 50 or so years later, and we see him waking up in a bed at Xavier's mansion. Long story short, it ends with some iconic X-Men location being called back to as they have a mission, and we see them going to the Blackbird through the hangar; Scott in his Blue, hooded uniform, Logan in his yellow and blue, etc.

If Singer did this, I would forgive him of everything else he got wrong with this franchise and it's characters!! Add Gambit and Archangel, and I might demand he get an Oscar.

I think the argument that Wolverine is the bigger character is BS because nobody gave a crap about thor or iron man before marvel chose to market them. Because that's what it is, marketing and casting. And I equally think it's BS to not have him in at all. Wolverine is a staple x-men character because he's the loner within a team. He's the guy who will save everyone when things don't turn out as expected, but he's equally the guy who makes things harder then they sometimes need to be. Because that's what happens in group situations. Cyclops and Wolverine are perfect counterbalances, but the balance should always be in favour of Cyclops, because Wolverine is an anti-hero originally. That's how those two work great. Cyclops is at the front, and Wolverine is the guy who will make a left turn, but will catch flanking enemies by doing so. They learn from each other that way. The only balance in these films is that Wolverine was cool and Cyclops was an annoying boy-scout. X-men is Xavier > Cyclops > Wolverine. The old leader, the destined new leader, and his nr 2 that just won't freakin follow his orders. As far as I'm concerned Storm is the second best leader and should be the rational voice between those two, maybe together with either Jean or Beast. That's the core of X-men to me, personally. All the others just make the team that more colourful, whether it's Angel, Rogue, Gambit or Nightcrawler.

Why can't we have that x-men? An x-men that's actually about team functioning and doesn't put one character in the centre all the time. It's ridiculous that we now have en Avengers film that's a better team movie than any x-men film we've had.

Although I do like what I'm seeing in DoFP team-wise, but it's just too late. I'm sorry, I won't bash DoFP if I like it, I'll like it, great. But if it's up to me, it's reboot time regardless of whether I like it. No matter what they do, no matter how great the film is, it can't be a great X-men film, because it can't ever be the X-men I love most. So my personal opinion (<--) is please reboot this.

No Cyclops = no true x-men team. Simple as that for me.

I think the argument that Wolverine is the bigger character is BS because nobody gave a crap about thor or iron man before marvel chose to market them. Because that's what it is, marketing and casting. And I equally think it's BS to not have him in at all. Wolverine is a staple x-men character because he's the loner within a team. He's the guy who will save everyone when things don't turn out as expected, but he's equally the guy who makes things harder then they sometimes need to be. Because that's what happens in group situations. Cyclops and Wolverine are perfect counterbalances, but the balance should always be in favour of Cyclops, because Wolverine is an anti-hero originally. That's how those two work great. Cyclops is at the front, and Wolverine is the guy who will make a left turn, but will catch flanking enemies by doing so. They learn from each other that way. The only balance in these films is that Wolverine was cool and Cyclops was an annoying boy-scout. X-men is Xavier > Cyclops > Wolverine. The old leader, the destined new leader, and his nr 2 that just won't freakin follow his orders. As far as I'm concerned Storm is the second best leader and should be the rational voice between those two, maybe together with either Jean or Beast. That's the core of X-men to me, personally. All the others just make the team that more colourful, whether it's Angel, Rogue, Gambit or Nightcrawler.

Why can't we have that x-men? An x-men that's actually about team functioning and doesn't put one character in the centre all the time. It's ridiculous that we now have en Avengers film that's a better team movie than any x-men film we've had.

Although I do like what I'm seeing in DoFP team-wise, but it's just too late. I'm sorry, I won't bash DoFP if I like it, I'll like it, great. But if it's up to me, it's reboot time regardless of whether I like it. No matter what they do, no matter how great the film is, it can't be a great X-men film, because it can't ever be the X-men I love most. So my personal opinion (<--) is please reboot this.

Well said man :goodpost:

Wolverine sells. Cyclops doesnt. Hollywood and Marvel both know Wolverine is generally in the top five of Marvel's most popular characters. It's why he's so overexposed because general audiences love him so and do not get the exposure of the other characters that the comic readers get.

Wolverine was hence casted with an a-list celebrity. Who was the guy who played Cyclops anyway? Did it have to be like that? No. First Class kind of showed that years later. But obviously Fox thought they only needed one main lead a-lister. And they finally tried First Class after Wolverine Origins was received so negatively (and they still made a sequel or prequel).

If Chris Evans had a top-market following, Cap would likely still been the leader of the Avengers on screen like in the comics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wolverine sells. Cyclops doesnt. Hollywood and Marvel both know Wolverine is generally in the top five of Marvel's most popular characters. It's why he's so overexposed because general audiences love him so and do not get the exposure of the other characters that the comic readers get.

You're right. Wolverine has always been "the man" in the comics while Cyclops has always been a character fans love to hate. I remember how disliked he used to be back in the 90's, not sure how much that has changed over the years though. It doesn't help that they portrayed the character so badly in the first movie... he was a complete ass. I feel his only purpose in that movie was to clash with Logan.

Wolverines sells cause they give no other characters a chance they just said here take this and ran with it for years .

@ Godzilla Wrongo man, nobody knew who Hugh Jackman was, he often says so himself, Singer gave him his first break and Wolverine was why he moved to America in the first place.

I'm willing to bet Cyclops has a bigger fanbase than Thor had before Marvel Studios came in. If they reboot this and cast Cyclops and Wolverine with two guys who work great together a la Cap A and IM respectively, I swear to you they will outgross most of Marvel Studios' films.

We've never seen X-men as good as it can get on screen, because we've never seen the main players in this age of more true cb films.

The sole reason these films continue is Hugh effin Jackman (who I love, great guy, great actor) but I swear if you drop a poster of Wolverine and Cyclops together, both in yellow and blue, you have the best competition for BatmanvsSuperman Fox could want.

40 years of generations who're dying to see the real effin x-men in this modern day of CB films. And Fox keeps giving them the finger because they just don't dare let go of Jackman. I get it, but it's not what I'd do.

The only real problem I see against rebooting is who can be a new Wolverine!? What made the films great and revolutionary back in the day, has become the very thing that keeps them from moving on to the present and it SUCKS.

Exactly what Krec9 said. Fox is playing it safe and it's the exact old attitude that never got us real true cb films. People like Nolan and Favreau and studios like WB and Marvel, they take risks and that makes the properties evolve. Only real road to improvement.

No matter how good his films are, the era of Singer is over. Adaptations need room to evolve in order to take advantage of new tendencies and possibilities. This franchise is trapped in trenches dug by old material. Nothing at this point can outweigh the possibilities of starting anew. All assuming a new version will be done right.

I admit, when I see what Fox is doing to FF that does make me scared how they might screw up a reboot.

Exactly what Krec9 said. Fox is playing it safe and it's the exact old attitude that never got us real true cb films. People like Nolan and Favreau and studios like WB and Marvel, they take risks and that makes the properties evolve. Only real road to improvement.

No matter how good his films are, the era of Singer is over. Adaptations need room to evolve in order to take advantage of new tendencies and possibilities. This franchise is trapped in trenches dug by old material. It just doesn't outweigh the possibilities of starting anew.

Exactly everyone besides wolverine was treated right Colossus one of best Xmen does nothing in the movies he hardly has any lines .Storm great in the CB annoying as he'll in the movies .Rogue is a jubilee rip off Jean was uninteresting Cycolps was misused sabertooth was stupid magneto was ok prefer fassbender can we get better villains besides magneto and mystique and that phony ass toad.

Wow I never realized Hugh jackass first big film was x-men. My mistake.

Back