X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The time travel thing in this film could really act as a reboot in the same way that it did for Star Trek. And I suspect it really will, with Jackman possibly being the only holdover.

I'm sensing that people here want more than that. A Star Trek type reboot by way of a time travel plot really should still mean the same universe, with all the same rules and limits as determined by Singer's take on the X-men, just with things playing out slightly differently (Cyclops not dying maybe)

Seems more like people want that left behind completely as was the Burton Batverse and Donner Superverse. They want the comics looked at again and adhered to much more closely, new universe entirely, no carry overs.

In all fairness he didnt direct X-3 but it didn't help that Singer made him uninteresting

What it is about X3 that certain fans hate so much I do understand the some of the complaints like the number of mutants introduced who only really were present for the sake of some one liners or how they dealt with the phoenix saga, but apart from that I don't really see anything else it still is today the highest grossing x men movie of all time.

If you compare the Xmen movies in general to other comic book adaptations made around the same time you will find that they hold up pretty well. If you compare Fantastic Four or Spiderman for example they follow the comic book to closely as though they are the comic brought to life while the Xmen is a general adaptation.

I think in the post Dark Knight movie world you would need to make the movie more grounded to give it a more broader appeal and maybe that is what Green Lantern suffered from among other things trying to be copy the comic rather then adapting it.

The Amazing Spiderman does a nice job with this transition while still holding on the essence of Spiderman while grounding the movie I think that is what gave it a similar feel like that of the Nolan batman movies .

I am not sure if this new X men movie will do that but I guess we will have to see.

I'm sensing that people here want more than that. A Star Trek type reboot by way of a time travel plot really should still mean the same universe, with all the same rules and limits as determined by Singer's take on the X-men, just with things playing out slightly differently (Cyclops not dying maybe)

Seems more like people want that left behind completely as was the Burton Batverse and Donner Superverse. They want the comics looked at again and adhered to much more closely, new universe entirely, no carry overs.

I see that too, and I'd be okay with that just for the sake of having people stop complaining about Singer!

I was perfectly happy with X1, X2 and FC, and I think DOFP looks pretty good too. X3 was horrendous beyond words so I hardly pay it any attention as far as cannon.

What it is about X3 that certain fans hate so much I do understand the some of the complaints like the number of mutants introduced who only really were present for the sake of some one liners or how they dealt with the phoenix saga, but apart from that I don't really see anything else it still is today the highest grossing x men movie of all time.

If you compare the Xmen movies in general to other comic book adaptations made around the same time you will find that they hold up pretty well. If you compare Fantastic Four or Spiderman for example they follow the comic book to closely as though they are the comic brought to life while the Xmen is a general adaptation.

I think in the post Dark Knight movie world you would need to make the movie more grounded to give it a more broader appeal and maybe that is what Green Lantern suffered from among other things trying to be copy the comic rather then adapting it.

The Amazing Spiderman does a nice job with this transition while still holding on the essence of Spiderman while grounding the movie I think that is what gave it a similar feel like that of the Nolan batman movies .

I am not sure if this new X men movie will do that but I guess we will have to see.

These two posts probably sums up everything. I probably like first class the most because it had no ties what so ever to the others, besides wolverines cameo, and just felt completely fresh and new

These two posts probably sums up everything. I probably like first class the most because it had no ties what so ever to the others, besides wolverines cameo, and just felt completely fresh and new

The appeal of First Class for me was the relationship between Eric and Charles it really was the essence of that movie and their performance was done very well. I am at least hoping that X men apocalypse will be exactly as they have been describing so far as a disaster movie imagery as that is what apocalypse is the humans worst nightmare the Mutants have finally taken over and the they are now being hunted while the Xmen find themselves again protect the innocent only this time humans from mutants

No ties? The whole first sequence is almost exactly the same as X1, and Rebecca Romijn also had a cameo.

What it is about X3 that certain fans hate so much. . .
Only speaking for myself, I hate it because it's a terrible movie. Story, direction/pacing/mood, cinematography, special effects, acting (due, no doubt, to the Rat's direction), none of it worked for me. I didn't care about anything going on, because I didn't care about any of the characters. Which was weird, coming off of X2, which I feel is one of the best comic movies ever made, and starred many of the same actors. Just felt like a DTV-quality movie, that just so happened to be a major theatrical release of a major franchise with big-time actors attached.

Well I also feel that First Class was essentially like a reboot, in that we had the same universe, but totally different actors in a totally different time and context, and it did feel fresh and new. With Singer potentially still at the helm instead of Vaughn or another director, you probably will get more of an aesthetic similarity to X1 and X2, but there's opportunity to go into wholly new places with those films. But stepping back a minute, the X-franchise was so over the map, with Origins going back to (I guess?) the early '80s, First Class going to the '60s, and Wolverine and DOFP apparently going to the '70s, that it's hard to think of the franchise as a single, traditional franchise in the way that most are. Particularly when you consider all the different creative teams at work, and continuity problems that already started popping up (like Emma Frost and Sabretooth twice in very different roles/personas). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well I guess the Schumacher movies are worse if you look at them in a vacuum, but at least they were trying to be a cheesy, over the top, fairly idiotic, absurd spectacle. In that sense, they kind of succeeded, even though they were terrible films :lol X3 was trying to be a serious comic film, and was totally mediocre IMO. I'm not sure which is the worst sin.

No ties? The whole first sequence is almost exactly the same as X1, and Rebecca Romijn also had a cameo.

I take it storywise, the cameos are great and all, shows some level of respect for the first 3. As for the sequence, to me that IS Magneto's story. The fact it was shot shot-for-shot, as someone else earlier pointed out, is another shout out to the first film

No ties, to me anyways, meaning no story has been laid down. First Class made its own way not relying on previous installments.

Well I guess the Schumacher movies are worse if you look at them in a vacuum, but at least they were trying to be a cheesy, over the top, fairly idiotic, absurd spectacle. In that sense, they kind of succeeded, even though they were terrible films :lol X3 was trying to be a serious comic film, and was totally mediocre IMO. I'm not sure which is the worst sin.

Agreed 100%.

Batman and Robin was seeing a clown walking out of a bathroom with toilet paper hanging out his waist.
It may not have been their intent 100%, but you kind of went into it knowing this isn't Keaton Batman. I was definitely expecting more for the closer to the X trilogy. Sad thing is, I've rewatched it quite a few times, some of the ideas they had were pretty good, but the whole of the film, as you stated, seemed almost direct to vid quality.

I though it looked cool when Juggernaut was chasing Kitty through the walls and that one Matrix shot of all the soldiers disintegrating at the end and that's about it. When a whimpering Cyclops went off and then just randomly died off-screen I realized that the filmmakers truly had no clue of what they were doing in X3.

Haven't kept up with this thread really but the final trailer for this is great. I have loved the marketing for it. But I do expect to be disappointed with the final product. I don't know why. Maybe I just want to have that mentality because if I expect awesomeness like the trailers it'll be tough to meet.

When a whimpering Cyclops went off and then just randomly died off-screen I realized that the filmmakers truly had no clue of what they were doing in X3.
That part actually made a bit of sense to me, considering how little attention and importance he really received in the first two films. It just punctuated how useless and unimportant he was to the franchise. Turning Cyclops into an unnecessary background character is one decision I really can't agree with Singer on.

That part actually made a bit of sense to me, considering how little attention and importance he really received in the first two films. It just punctuated how useless and unimportant he was to the franchise. Turning Cyclops into an unnecessary background character is one decision I really can't agree with Singer on.

that and turning Rogue into Jubilee, I know we talked about it before but those are two main mutants that became useless. I hate that so much

that and turning Rogue into Jubilee, I know we talked about it before but those are two main mutants that became useless. I hate that so much

I would chalk making Bobby into the serious kid up as another miscalculation on Singer's part. Iceman should never be that serious.

X3 other than being outright garbage, also wasted one of my fav mutants in Angel. Did he even have 2 lines?

Haven't kept up with this thread really but the final trailer for this is great. I have loved the marketing for it. But I do expect to be disappointed with the final product. I don't know why. Maybe I just want to have that mentality because if I expect awesomeness like the trailers it'll be tough to meet.

Funny, that's the exact opposite of my situation. Although I did like trailer 3, overall the marketing for this film, imo, is outright terrible. It slavishly tries to hit beats from preceding CB movies that succeeded.

I genuinely hope the film is a LOT better than its marketing.:lol

Also, Cyclops was dead to begin with. Utterly empty character in this film series and nothing but a **** block so Wolverine could stay angry.

Go back and watch them, these films have always had Wolverine as the centre and Singer initiated that. He created an environment in which Cyclops honestly didn't really have any room to begin with. Wolverine was the main character with the main arc to make the audience connect with. Everyone was engaged from his POV.

I will go into DoFP open minded and I might like it as a film, but at the core I will always be pro an entire reboot without question. Cyclops to me is the real X-men leader in the field and deserves at the very least as much engaging screen time and character arcs as Wolverine.

As far as I've concerned I've never seen Cyclops on the cinema screen and it's still the number 1 marvel character I wanna see (done well) for once.

EDIT: Look back at the promo images for X1 and 2, there's absolutely no question that Wolverine has been the central character in this franchise from the very first film onward. Yes X3 was a debacle, but honestly it's ridiculous that a setup from 2000 still rules this franchise. It's literally retarded.

Back