X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Untitled Sequel to X-Men First Class

Watchmen followed a comic storyline almost exactly save the changes for the end and it flopped. From that point on you are going to get executives who say "Straight Comic lines don't work".

Watchmen followed a comic storyline almost exactly save the changes for the end and it flopped. From that point on you are going to get executives who say "Straight Comic lines don't work".

I still think the reason Watchmen flopped is because they didn't have a ____ing clue what they had and advertised it as a standard Superhero flick.

I agree. Watchman was also a very adult movie... not for kids. A lot of the money made in the superhero/comic genre comes from families and young kids.

As fans of the genre and common sense adults we can figure that out but we're talking studio executives here. The same kind of executives who saw the first Green Lantern and said "It's all the director and editor's faults" yet hire the writers of the films for two more tentpoles.

The biggest things that came out after Watchmen was how a faithful comic adaptation wouldn't work and that came from somewhere.

The Avengers isn't a faithful comic adaptation though, it's a successful team movie that pulls from multiple sources.

The Avengers isn't a faithful comic adaptation though, it's a successful team movie that pulls from multiple sources.

As far as 100%, true. But it's the closest thing to a comic book I've ever seen on the big screen. :huh

I want to see Sentinels on the big screen.

And Apocalypse.

Me too :)

I honestly think Marvel has their hands full right now. They are going to be working hard pumping out two movies a year for the next six to eight years as it is. They don't need any more characters to deal with until the eventual end of the current generation of contracts.

:goodpost:

They aren't doing Iron Fist, Moon Knight or hundreds of other characters right now, to add Spider-Man and X-Men on top would mean years and years before they get made.

How about X-Men: First Classier. X-Men: Second Class? At this point they've impressed me so much with First Class I'm in for whatever they do.

Same here :hi5:

They aren't doing Iron Fist, Moon Knight or hundreds of other characters right now, to add Spider-Man and X-Men on top would mean years and years before they get made.

No what it'd mean is that all of those characters would get suddenly shuffled to the back. Marvel Studios would leapfrog an X-Men or a Spider-Man film over anything they have on tap past the Avengers roster. They would even toss out any talk of a Hawkeye, Black Widow or Hulk film I would imagine.

Uhuh... Sin City is :lecture

Same visual comic book art style translated to film oerfectly and an almost exact adaption of the source material :lecture

If you enjoyed it, I guess. I don't necessarily view that as the a-typical "comic book" though. It was serious, not fun.

I really liked First Class, and if im 100% honest comic book movies im not usually huge on. However it balanced it well, even if you're like me and have never properly read an X-Men comic in your life.

If handled well, consider this ticket already sold ;)

I still think the reason Watchmen flopped is because they didn't have a ____ing clue what they had and advertised it as a standard Superhero flick.

They had to know what they had. How could they not? It flopped because the average moviegoer just didn't get the film and all they could focus on was a big blue dong.

I actually agree with Logan. Watchmen isn't a story that is going to appeal to a mass of moviegoers. It is subversive, complex, and extremely dark. If you stick Batman in there, sure, folks will see it. But based on characters who only exist in that storyline, that can't appeal to young kids at all, and that has themes of graphic violence, rape, and mass death, yet focuses on colorful superheroes? You're restricting yourself to a pretty limited audience from the get-go.

I actually agree with Logan. Watchmen isn't a story that is going to appeal to a mass of moviegoers. It is subversive, complex, and extremely dark. If you stick Batman in there, sure, folks will see it. But based on characters who only exist in that storyline, that can't appeal to young kids at all, and that has themes of graphic violence, rape, and mass death, yet focuses on colorful superheroes? You're restricting yourself to a pretty limited audience from the get-go.

:exactly:

I can't tell you how many adults who told me Watchmen that was stupid. When I asked them why they couldn't give me a reason other than the blue dong.

I actually think a Terry Gilliam Watchmen (he wanted to do it many years ago, but could never make it work) could have been more appealing to a broader movie-going crowd, because of the stylistic flair and attitude that his movies have. But even there you're restricting yourself to folks who like Terry Gilliam movies, or adult comic stories, so you can't expect a mega blockbuster.

I actually think a Terry Gilliam Watchmen (he wanted to do it many years ago, but could never make it work) could have been more appealing to a broader movie-going crowd, because of the stylistic flair and attitude that his movies have. But even there you're restricting yourself to folks who like Terry Gilliam movies, or adult comic stories, so you can't expect a mega blockbuster.

Maybe, I loved what we got though.

What we got was perfection. The Birth of Dr. Manhattan is one of the best sequences I've seen in not only comic films but films in general and one that I love to watch over and over.

What we got was perfection. The Birth of Dr. Manhattan is one of the best sequences I've seen in not only comic films but films in general and one that I love to watch over and over.

:exactly::goodpost:

The whole film was perfection.

I enjoyed it, but like I've posted elsewhere, a direct, shot-by-shot translation of a comic property to film has less value to me than something that is a new creation, more inspired by the spirit and purpose of the original source. I felt the same way about the animated Batman: Year One, which I thought was inferior to the Superman/Doomsday just because there was nothing really new and I didn't feel that I had a new experience watching it. I had seen it all before, albeit reading it on a comic's pages. Of course, there were a few exceptions with Watchmen, but it was about as faithful a movie version of a comic as I can imagine being made.

Back