X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27, 2016

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched this again On Demand last type, only my second viewing after seeing it once in the theater. So much of it is just eye-rolling and poorly done, all the hand to hand combat basically sucks and Weapon X is a joke. Apocalypse looks silly and is basically a big dope. But just as with my first viewing I just couldn't bring myself to hate it when all was said and done, the 90's style cheese ended up growing on me and the main emotional beats all pretty much delivered when it counted.

One thing that I really liked in this movie that you almost never see in cbm's are the overlapping threads that indicate there is more going on in the world than just "Title bad guy against title good guys." If Apocalypse hadn't shown up you'd still have an entire movie's worth of stories with the X-Men dealing with Magneto, new recruits being trained, etc. Now I know that Apoc caused the earthquake which led to Magneto's identity being revealed but really any unrelated accident could have led to the same showdown between Magento and the cops, fellow workers, etc. In fact when Apoc shows up at the steel mill he basically ends one complete storyline that could have been all about Magneto on his own and commandeers it to be his own story. Having multiple characters with multiple and overlapping but otherwise unique agendas was actually really cool.

Too bad sum of the parts were greater than the whole in most instances (or was it the other way around, I'm still not sure, lol) with the exception of Wolverine which SHOULD have been this massive transcendent crowd pleaser but was just weak all around.

The way Magneto was brought into Apoc's fold, which prompted QS to go to the mansion, which organically allowed him to arrive just in time to save everyone from the explosion, pretty neat and clever stuff.

I still like the new kids the most and Jean's calvary moment was still really cool. I could have done with fewer moments of people screaming while wielding their powers though.

I really liked the mental/telepathic battle between Charles and Apoc while he was physically fighting the other X Men. I've never seen that before.

I'll just repost...

Civil War is a good film despite bein' far from the comic book. (thank God for that)
With Crapocalypse FOX just threw a bunch of comicbooky stuff in one poorly written story and gave it to the director who doesn't now how to direct comicbooky stuff.
"Crapocalypse", like "Da Farce Awakens", is an expensive fan film.
It's First Class, Weapon X, Apocalypse, Phoenix Saga and probably more CB stories rashly and very poorly mixed together.
Outside of Peter's and Logan's scenes it's not fun, drags a lot and feels cheap.
what was so confusing about apocalypse's end goal?
He had none.
At least not untill he was awakend in 80s.
Eh, even after that it was foggy.
So if Apoc is so powerful why even bother recruiting just do your stuff and vaporize
That's a very stupid part of the script indeed.
I'd understand it if there was a hint at him actually bein' afraid of other powerful mutants.
But nope, only da Phoenix could defeat him. Which brings the Q... If he was controlin' Charles he'd know of Jean's hidden power and would try to make her one of his horsemen. But nope, he died with "OH S***" face on.
Young untrained mutants infiltrated Stryker's secret base, freed Weapon X, stole some kind of prototype military aircraft, rescued Xavier from two Horsemen yet couldn't defeat Apocalypse with the help of all powerful Magneto and Storm 'till the out-of-nowhere Phoenix... Sorry but this is WAAAY TOO MUCH for a team origin, not to mention 100% redundant after "First Class".
X2000 is still the most beautifully lookin' and soundin' film of this poor franchise.
Hard to believe that the same director and cinematographer made "Crapocalypse".

... and add that there are some good scenes, like the "you can never strike God" one for exmpl.
Some cool ideas, like Apoc fightin' Charles mentaly and X-Men phisicaly at the same time.
But overall the movie is just crap, no two ways about it.

3e57fe40-6a0f-0133-9000-0e17bac22e39.gif

I could barely make it through the first viewing of this- talk about awful. I love BvS and this film is inferior in EVERY category of film you can come up with (well maybe the caterer was OK:lol )- yet BvS gets all the razzies and attacks. Go figure as they say

Back