VTS TOYS 1/6 WASTELAND RANGER - Furiosa

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah , she was going on about film roles for women over 40.....having to gain then loose weight for a role.

There are plenty of roles for women over 40. The problem is these woman are used to having a starring role of the attractive young women .....and at 40 , that’s not going to happen.

Men do get these roles a bit longer, but only by a bit. Bruce Willis is still playing action roles, and Sam Jackson, but they are starting to look silly at it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I guess she’s pretty much an expert on the subject... plenty of roles for women over 40? You must be kidding or know something I don’t. And if you were close to cancellation because of the actor voicing her opinion... well then the subject must mean quite a lot to you.

I think it's definitely true that women have a shorter lifespan for being in movies. The one issue I have with that argument is that the young women who first get in typically do because they are gorgeous. If you are initially selling yourself for your looks, and then lose work because you lose your looks, well. . .

If you are an actress who gets work purely based on acting skill. Maybe a Meryl Streep or whatever, then you end up getting work for longer. But then, the skill you initially were hired for is still the skill you have at a later age.

But there are double standards with gender, that I think reflect society. I thought she had said something more outrageous, about hating certain groups of Americans or something.

I think it's definitely true that women have a shorter lifespan for being in movies. The one issue I have with that argument is that the young women who first get in typically do because they are gorgeous. If you are initially selling yourself for your looks, and then lose work because you lose your looks, well. . .

If you are an actress who gets work purely based on acting skill. Maybe a Meryl Streep or whatever, then you end up getting work for longer. But then, the skill you initially were hired for is still the skill you have at a later age.

But there are double standards with gender, that I think reflect society. I thought she had said something more outrageous, about hating certain groups of Americans or something.

“Selling yourself on your looks” is a pretty narrow view on what happens. Maybe sometimes people get bought for their looks. But look matters for both male and female actors. Besides, if you actually watch mainstream movies, notice how few roles there actually are for middle aged women.

It's true that it works both ways, but just look at the evidence. Theron, Scarlett Johannsen, Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, etc. These are gorgeous women when they get hired on. If they weren't, they wouldn't be hired to start. So, what about the millions of more plain looking women out there who never get their opportunities to start?

I feel a level of entitlement here, where actresses feel they deserve continued work, and so I think we're only allowing ourselves to see part of the story if we focus on the gender inequality piece. But at the same time, of course gender inequality does exist. Josh Brolin is a guy getting a lot of attention now. He was a pretty young guy, but now is grizzled and handsome, so he keeps getting work. Where is Julia Roberts? IMDB says she is doing Smurfs movies and TV.

It's true that it works both ways, but just look at the evidence. Theron, Scarlett Johannsen, Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, etc. These are gorgeous women when they get hired on. If they weren't, they wouldn't be hired to start. So, what about the millions of more plain looking women out there who never get their opportunities to start?

I feel a level of entitlement here, where actresses feel they deserve continued work, and so I think we're only allowing ourselves to see part of the story if we focus on the gender inequality piece. But at the same time, of course gender inequality does exist. Josh Brolin is a guy getting a lot of attention now. He was a pretty young guy, but now is grizzled and handsome, so he keeps getting work. Where is Julia Roberts? IMDB says she is doing Smurfs movies and TV.

The actresses you name are all great actors and prove the point. The men might not all be handsome, but they have some sort of charisma. Looks.

Oh boy...thanks Xipo....did not see the Furiosa thread ever going down this Road (pun kind of intended)!

Oh boy...thanks Xipo....did not see the Furiosa thread ever going down this Road (pun kind of intended)!

LOL....it was really a joke....I do not base my decisions on what character to buy based on an actress or actors political or social statements...

I was a bit off out by the interview because she has worked pretty consistently , and the character in question for this thread was not beautiful , was older and very atypical.

So I think she was complaining about other actresses....but as we said , if your just a pretty face, male or female , you probably won’t last.

What I found most disturbing was her taking about how hard it was to lose weight...and how millions of women struggle with it without anyone congratulating them for it...

Which sorta is exactly what she was complaint about with Hollywood...???

Shouldn’t they hire women based on talent ? Not age OR weight? But she seems to think weight loss was important enough to her career.....

LOL....it was really a joke....I do not base my decisions on what character to buy based on an actress or actors political or social statements...

I was a bit off out by the interview because she has worked pretty consistently , and the character in question for this thread was not beautiful , was older and very atypical.

So I think she was complaining about other actresses....but as we said , if your just a pretty face, male or female , you probably won’t last.

What I found most disturbing was her taking about how hard it was to lose weight...and how millions of women struggle with it without anyone congratulating them for it...

Shouldn’t they hire women based on talent ? Not age OR weight? But she seems to think weight loss was important enough to her career.....

Consider the possibility that actresses are asked to loose weight in order to get a role. No matter how talented they are. Just sayin...
On a different note, can’t wait to get a notice from KG Hobby [emoji51]

too bad Tom Hardy didn't lose much weight. consider the setting of the movie, makes us wonder where he got all his proteins from since he doesn't belong to any resourceful faction.

Desert Lizards for Dessert?

too bad Tom Hardy didn't lose much weight. consider the setting of the movie, makes us wonder where he got all his proteins from since he doesn't belong to any resourceful faction.

Desert Lizards for Dessert?

You should have seen him before hell broke loose [emoji6]

Yep...the irony that she won and Academy Award and became a serious actor as a result of the film Monster, where she was radically transformed into having a less than flattering physical appearance...

I didn’t catch the npr interview, but I did read about it. She just put on 50 pounds for her upcoming film Tully, and was talking about how hard it was to lose the weight. She went on to mention that people say “how brave” it is of her, then she shoots that down and says that the women who struggle with weight outside of Hollywood should be the ones commended for it. Maybe I missed something by not actually listening to the interview, but it seems to me she was just empowering other women with her comments. Not sure what there is to be “disturbed” by. Also, I didn’t feel she was complaining. Just stating some truths. I imagine it is harder for women over 40 to find satisfying roles. Sure, not all women over 40, but the majority. I don’t know, I don’t work in Hollywood.

Anyway, I’ve been stoked for this figure for over a year and am really looking forward to May!

She's says on one hand, that no one is congratulating average women for losing weight (like she did)
....then complains Hollywood for not casting women beyond their prime....

Which to me implied that BOTH should happen....the average woman should be told they are brave for losing weight (and thereby improving their appearance) , but women in Hollywood should not be cast based on appearance....

Which is it?

I like CT...but this interview was very preachy.

tumblr_inline_mly77brreS1qz4rgp.gif

I didn’t catch the npr interview, but I did read about it. She just put on 50 pounds for her upcoming film Tully, and was talking about how hard it was to lose the weight. She went on to mention that people say “how brave” it is of her, then she shoots that down and says that the women who struggle with weight outside of Hollywood should be the ones commended for it. Maybe I missed something by not actually listening to the interview, but it seems to me she was just empowering other women with her comments. Not sure what there is to be “disturbed” by. Also, I didn’t feel she was complaining. Just stating some truths. I imagine it is harder for women over 40 to find satisfying roles. Sure, not all women over 40, but the majority. I don’t know, I don’t work in Hollywood.

Anyway, I’ve been stoked for this figure for over a year and am really looking forward to May!

yeah i read his post like 5 times and not sure what his complaint is.

personally i think charliez is the best actress on the planet. i’ve seen lots of interviews with her and she seems pretty down to earth and caring person. but interviews are just interviews. we don’t get know them in real life with interviews. i love her movies and characters she’s played. that’s all that matters to me.

so i can’t wait to get this figure!!!! :) it’s my #1 want of any figure out there right now :)

Back