The Plastic Fett POLL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does a Plastic Boba Fett Bother You?

• Yes, Boba Fett being made out of plastic will most likely lead to a cancellation.

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • No, I am sure everything will turn out fine and am not worried about it.

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • I am Josh so you already know my answer.

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • It bothers me, but I'm not cancelling.

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Roranous

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. This poll is about the Boba Fett Premium Format figure being made of plastic and whether or not it bothers you. Kookie would like you all to be informed before voting so if you are not in the know here is the link.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?p=2738&source=030107news

Edit. It has been brought to my attention that this poll would work better with simple yes or no choices. So if you guys want to, you can disregard the cancellation quote and just vote on if it bothers you or not.:D

Last edited:
El Roranous said:
Ok, I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. This poll is about the Boba Fett Premium Format figure being made of plastic and whether or not it bothers you. Kookie would like you all to be informed before voting so if you are not in the know here is the link.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?p=2738&source=030107news

Boba Fett Minimum Format figure more like :rolleyes:

love option 3 :D

Need another choice. Yes, it bothers me, but I won't cancel. I want to see it in hand before deciding if I will keep it.

KitFisto said:
Need another choice. Yes, it bothers me, but I won't cancel. I want to see it in hand before deciding if I will keep it.
Can I add this? If a mod can do it, please go ahead and do so because I think that it is a valid choice.

I can live with the plastic body armour but not the plastic body under the clothing. A PF should be heavy IMO.

I can live with this if they lower the price point.

Otherwise, consider my order CANCELLED.

KitFisto said:

Yeah, I voted No, I am sure everything will turn out fine and am not worried about it. since it was my closest option...But my feeling is more like Kit's...Yes, it bothers me, but I won't cancel. I want to see it in hand.

I definitely am a little disappointed about the 'plastic' part of the description...but just what do they mean by plastic? I figured the armor would not have been made of polystone (I was actually hoping for some sort of 'metal' type treatment for the armor...since it's a PF...thought it would be made of some TOPNOTCH material...Guess that was WAY off! :rolleyes:)

The fact that the body UNDERNEATH all the clothes and gear isn't polystone doesn't bother me though...since ther's no face/sculpt to be concerned about...I'm more concerned about what the feel of the plastic helmet/armor/jet-pack will be...I hope it's of a MUCH HIGHER quality than what we would expect from a 1/6 figure...for $325 it better be!!! :google

Karma said:
Boba Fett Minimum Format figure more like :rolleyes:

love option 3 :D

I voted option three.

Again you realize Polystone is plastic too right?

jlcmsu said:
I voted option three.

Again you realize Polystone is plastic too right?
I realize that what Sideshow is referring to is a change from the original materials to a "new" plastic. My gripe is that I feel like it was a bait and switch and that I will miss the poly feel and smell.

Glad you liked option 3. :D

Polystone and ABS are completely different, Josh. ABS is a pretty standard "cheap" type of plastic. Trust me, I know... as I've worked with the stuff.

The design & production reasons behind this decision I can live with. But I know for a FACT that ABS costs much less than polystone, so for SSC to solicit a mixed-media statue with polystone parts all of this time and then let this cat out of the bag at this point without adjusting the price accordingly is a load of horse crap.

KitFisto said:

That would be my vote as well. Or, will cancel and get it for $200 a month later.

El Roranous said:
I realize that what Sideshow is referring to is a change from the original materials to a "new" plastic. My gripe is that I feel like it was a bait and switch and that I will miss the poly feel and smell.

Glad you liked option 3. :D

It's not a bait and switch. :rolleyes:

denoting a deceptive method of selling, by which customers, attracted to a store by sale items, are told either that the advertised bargain item is out of stock or is inferior to a higher-priced item that is available.

I did like option 3. :) I can take a joke. :)

IrishJedi said:
Polystone and ABS are completely different, Josh. ABS is a pretty standard "cheap" type of plastic. Trust me, I know... as I've worked with the stuff.

Well, according to what I'm reading on the net it's not a cheap plastic.
So I'd say you're getting a lower grade ABS.
ABS Plastic

IrishJedi said:
But I know for a FACT that ABS costs much less than polystone, so for SSC to solicit a mixed-media statue with polystone parts all of this time and then let this cat out of the bag at this point without adjusting the price accordingly is a load of horse crap.

Please tell me how you know it cost more. I'd like to see your data that proves this. You realize plastic is another type of media right and that the price is also based on other factors not just the polystone. :rolleyes:

KitFisto said:
Jesus Josh, what do you need? A receipt?

I'm good but not that good. :lol

No, I don't need a recipt but I would like to know exactly how he knows its cheaper.

jlcmsu said:
I'm good but not that good. :lol

No, I don't need a recipt but I would like to know exactly how he knows its cheaper.

The cost of manufacturing ABS plastic is considered to be mid-range between commodity-grade plastics (cheaper plastics, like polystyrene and PVC) and higher-grade engineering plastics like polyurethane.

The fact that ABS plastic is what LEGOs are made from because of it's toughness and durability, I can see how collectors would be upset that they feel that are not getting high-enough quality materials in the product they are buying for the price point.

At the 2 plastics supply companies I buy materials from for costumes and props that I build UHMWPE (the same Polystone material SSC uses) costs about 3-4 times more than .90/3mm ABS (which is almost as thick and solid as you will want to work with in ABS) at the same weight.

Anything else?

choopie said:
The fact that ABS plastic is what LEGOs are made from because of it's toughness and durability, I can see how collectors would be upset that they feel that are not getting high-enough quality materials in the product they are buying for the price point.

It's not the quality, it's the PRICE.

Fact 1. SSC solicited a PF Boba Fett made of polystone pieces. And it was priced at $325

Fact 2. Less than one month before the item's release, SSC lets everyone know that in fact polystone was not used but instead ABS was used.

Fact 3. ABS costs less than polystone.

Fact 4. SSC has not adjusted the cost of the item accordingly.

Pretty simple, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back