Lord of the Rings Premium Format - Finish the Fellowship

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:nono No on general principal. Nobody helped the 1:6 collectors when the 12" line got tanked. I say take your medicine like good little boys and girls and just hope they get around to it in some future line (which it's fairly obvious, they won't).

:nono No on general principal. Nobody helped the 1:6 collectors when the 12" line got tanked. I say take your medicine like good little boys and girls and just hope they get around to it in some future line (which it's fairly obvious, they won't).

Someone hand me a Kleenex :lol You're are right however...nobody bought the SS dolls....because most of us don't collect dolls. :slap

Yeah, that's really gonna get people to join your cause! :clap:clap:clap :cuckoo:

By "people" I assume you are referring to collectors other than yourself.....correct? Because I think we both know you're pretty well the last guy on earth who is concerned for, or supports our cause. Unless of course I have you mixed up with the pathetically bitter guy responsible for a string of infantile posts last year who seemingly got a perverse thrill at the notion of SS not completing the fellowship in PF. If that's the case, then please accept my apology in advance. :wave

By "people" I assume you are referring to collectors other than yourself.....correct? Because I think we both know you're pretty well the last guy on earth who is concerned for, or supports our cause. Unless of course I have you mixed up with the pathetically bitter guy responsible for a string of infantile posts last year who seemingly got a perverse thrill at the notion of SS not completing the fellowship in PF. If that's the case, then please accept my apology in advance. :wave

Nope, that was me...

:moon:moon:moon :nana: :moon:moon:moon

Given their license history, I have yet to see a license they followed through on. Every single one has at least one glaring headscratcher of a hole. The 1:6 Fellowship was probably the worst blow of all considering we're talking a measly 3 figures. If they wouldn't go that far, and are posting condescending remarks to their own customers, like "Build a Gimli out of elbow noodles and we might consider," I have little faith in their commitment to finish the Fellowship in ANY format. It's because of that remark that I ditched my LOTR PF's preferring the smaller disappointment of looking at an incomplete 12" Fellowship than seeing the larger PF's and realizing that regardless of how much we beg and plead, they just don't care to the point where they openly poke fun at us in Q&A's for asking for it. So if my teasing and playful banter to make light of what I personally consider an EPIC ____ING FAIL on Sideshow's part bothers you, please understand it's not meant that way, not at all. :wave

Nope, that was me...

:moon:moon :nana: :moon:moon

Given their license history, I have yet to see a license they followed through on. Every single one has at least one glaring headscratcher of a hole. The 1:6 Fellowship was probably the worst blow of all considering we're talking a measly 3 figures. If they wouldn't go that far, and are posting condescending remarks to their own customers, like "Build a Gimli out of elbow noodles and we might consider," I have little faith in their commitment to finish the Fellowship in ANY format. It's because of that remark that I ditched my LOTR PF's preferring the smaller disappointment of looking at an incomplete 12" Fellowship than seeing the larger PF's and realizing that regardless of how much we beg and plead, they just don't care to the point where they openly poke fun at us in Q&A's for asking for it. So if my teasing and playful banter to make light of what I personally consider an EPIC ____ING FAIL on Sideshow's part bothers you, please understand it's not meant that way, not at all. :wave

If that was your intend then please accept my apology as I did not feel that "playful/teasing" vibe whatsoever when you posted the following :

Some of you guys are like psycho ex girlfriends thinking we'll see LOTR's 12" line come back. As for the PF line, there's already a thread about it. Deservedly so, you guys won't see a complete Fellowship either.

Deservedly so? :confused: What exactly have we, as PF collectors, done to not deserve the fellowship in PF?

I think his point was that the most likely line to get a complete Fellowship was the 1:6 line and a lot of the same collectors who put their noses up at the 1:6 line are now clamoring for it since its obvious there will be no Sideshow LOTR line in current existence which will see a complete Fellowship.

Like Pix said, several PF collectors bailed on the 12" line, or turned their snotty noses up at it. So again, deservedly so. Maybe I should buy stock in Kleenex...:lol

Look, I have every SS collectible from three different lines [UM and LOTR dio's, and LOTR LSB's], all of which SS axed, so I am well aware of SS's pathetic track record when it comes to "line completion". And to make matters worse, I find it extremely frustrating that SS rarely listens to it's collecting fanbase, certainly where LOTR is concerned. The fact of the matter is there are many LOTR fans/collectors on this board that are more knowledgeable and passionate about LOTR than anyone at SS making the decisions for us.....and the only instance I can ever recall where SS actually listened to us was concerning the Galadriel PF hair issue. It was amazing to me how many bad decisions SS made, in particular, concerning the LOTR LSB and dio. lines. All the while never considering the product/character selections submitted continually by those of us around here who actually have our finger on the pulse of what LOTR collectors want. So yeah, I know where you are coming from.....I also know I will never blame collectors for the failure of any line, that honour belongs to SS and SS alone.

You are speaking to the choir in regard to SS's nasty habit of beginning and abruptly cancelling lines. This disturbing trend will eventually lead to their downfall....and the "fruits of their labour" have already begun, with many LOTR and UM collectors refusing to "get hooked" on the new maquette lines until they see some kind of long-term commitment from SS. Unfortunately, SS has lost alot of credibility with their fanbase and if they keep heading down this road they might as well change their name to Marvel and Star Wars Collectibles because those are the only licences they will have left. :lecture

Last edited:
Yeah, all those posts are tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Fact is, while we hear a lot of talk about how LOTR is a favorite license, blah, blah, blah, talk is cheaper than a Ukranian crack whore (and they run pretty cheap :lol). I absolutely refuse to commit to another line until I see the Fellowship completed in one. I'd rather chase crazy ebay prices to get a complete Fellowship, picking up pieces I missed by avoiding the new lines, than sit here and wait, continually taking the bait and throwing cash in support of SSC's format ADD, only to get slapped again and again when it comes to Gimli, Merry and Pippin.

Yeah, all those posts are tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Fact is, while we hear a lot of talk about how LOTR is a favorite license, blah, blah, blah, talk is cheaper than a Ukranian crack whore (and they run pretty cheap :lol). I absolutely refuse to commit to another line until I see the Fellowship completed in one. I'd rather chase crazy ebay prices to get a complete Fellowship, picking up pieces I missed by avoiding the new lines, than sit here and wait, continually taking the bait and throwing cash in support of SSC's format ADD, only to get slapped again and again when it comes to Gimli, Merry and Pippin.

:lol Yeah, I commented in my "coming shortly after Comic Con" Legolas maquette thread :ohbfrank: that "if I hear another SS representative tell me again how "cherished" the LOTR licence is, I think I'm going to throw up" I'm sure the fine folks at SS don't want to hear things like that, but I'm tired of their cheap lipservice in regard to LOTR. The fact is we've gotten one lousy pre-order [Gollum PF] since July. And not only have we gone over 5 months without a single maquette pre-order, we haven't received a single piece of information from SS in regard to this new line since July 22nd....not exactly the method I would have used to generate or restore confidence amongst LOTR collectors. :cuckoo:

I too was really bummed when the 1:6 scale LOTR figures tanked. I used to be a huge 1:6 collector, and I guess the reason that I didn't mount a similar campaign when that line folded was that it simply was unceremoniously killed and when the announcement came, it felt like a lost cause. It is still amusing/depressing to see people come to the board and ask if Sideshow has plans to make Gimli any time soon. :(
The Premium Format line is still ongoing, but Sideshow has expressed reluctance to finish the fellowship.

I hope that we get a ton of different characters still in the Premium Format line, but if we can use the Ask Sideshow feature as an opportunity to let them know how important it would be to make Gimli, Boromir, Sam, Merry and Pippin not only for us as fans but to help make the line a continued success. I hope that Sideshow does develop these characters and commits to the full fellowship, but I do understand that the hobbit characters in particular offer certain economic challenges. I just hope that Sideshow can find creative solutions to some of the challenges and support the LOTR license in the way that it deserves. Since the Premium Format line hasn't been placed on hiatus yet, I don't see the harm in continuing to make our voice heard on this issue! Again, thanks to everyone that has been posting their own questions to Sideshow, and I hope that we see some positive responses before long!

Anything you do would fall on deaf ears:

Wednesday, July 7th, 2010
Q: Just wondering; would it be at all possible for Sideshow to complete 1 or 2 lines in you’re “The Lord of the Rings” range? There are so many different lines in production, some active, some stalled – it’s a nightmare for me as a collector, as I have bits and pieces of all the lines but don’t seem to ever get a complete set! By the rate Sideshow is going, I be dead before I ever complete a single LOTR product line. So my question, why is it so hard for Sideshow to finish one line (at least The Fellowship members) before releasing another line? I love all the LOTR products you guys have made so far, but I have to be honest, it seems to me that Sideshow is in a big mess, and you’re only digging yourselves deeper by releasing yet another LOTR line.

A: Fair enough, and as LOTR fans, we understand where you’re coming from. Many factors influence our decision making, including fan feedback, sales support, design quality, developer availability, and sometimes even resource competition from other licenses. In our LOTR history, all of these factors have contributed to the untimely ‘pauses’ or demises of lines before we’re able to complete the Fellowship. We’ve been eager for a fresh start, and a format in which we’re most likely to be able to make good on the potential of a full Fellowship, and believe the new statue line IS that opportunity. Gimli is sort of a mascot for the potential of the line, as the complexity of the character & costume design poses significant challenges in other formats (especially 12-inch and PF), but he was the first design approved for the new statue line.

Now, I'm not gonna go back and find it, but if I remember correctly, when they canceled the 1:6 line, they hinted that the Fellowship would likely be completed in the PF line (or was that actually an SSC rep telling us that during a Spook chat?). Now they're saying essentially "no" to the PF line, but "we're looking to complete it in our new 1:6 statue line." No concrete yes or no, just continual bull____ and redirection to yet another format. Notice a trend? It's called, "bait and switch."

:slap:pfft:

In my opinion, the PF line deserves to continue. Although Gandalf not selling out is not a good sign, because that one was a home run. If Gandalf is still available, then the problematically posed Morgul Lord is going to be sitting in the warehouse forever. Even Galadriel is still around.

The real pressure and incentive to continue this (or any) line comes from selling out of the existing releases. That clearly didn't happen with the 12" line, and it's not happening with the PFs either--despite their remarkable quality. If there aren't enough fans to follow through with a purchase of a central iconic character like Gandalf, they aren't going to give a green light to Boromir. I would be willing to write a letter to Sideshow and ask them to continue the line, but it would be more effective to get all my friends and neighbors to purchase a Gandalf PF directly from Sideshow.

Nam,

I hear you about the bait and switch feeling that this line feels to have from Sideshow. I've felt a similar feeling with other lines too in the 1:6 ranges. Until a line cancellation is actually announced, or a definitive "No" is stated regarding certain characters, I will continue to hope and try. I felt like I didn't make a similar effort with the 1:6 line, but it takes all of a couple of minutes a week, and some little effort directed at the manufacturer is better than all kinds of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth here. I guess I'd rather continue to be an optimist about this, however foolish that may be!

It is disappointing to see that Gandalf is still available, as he is really one of the nicest statues I have and he is so iconic and representative of Lord of the Rings as a whole. I sometimes wonder about LOTR as a license, and while the books have been around for ages, the films are relatively new. I think a lot of collectors that are into the SW, Marvel stuff, etc... are into those lines partly because of nostalgia from childhood. Since the kids who grew up with LOTR are just now getting to be of that age that they look back fondly on the films, there may be some resurgence in interest. The die-hards will never go away, but I think some of the younger/newer interest in LOTR has yet to surface (or have expendable income!), but we are coming up on the 10th anniversary, and with the Hobbit coming out, I hope that some people come back to the LOTR lines.

Nam,

I hear you about the bait and switch feeling that this line feels to have from Sideshow. I've felt a similar feeling with other lines too in the 1:6 ranges. Until a line cancellation is actually announced, or a definitive "No" is stated regarding certain characters, I will continue to hope and try. I felt like I didn't make a similar effort with the 1:6 line, but it takes all of a couple of minutes a week, and some little effort directed at the manufacturer is better than all kinds of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth here. I guess I'd rather continue to be an optimist about this, however foolish that may be!

It is disappointing to see that Gandalf is still available, as he is really one of the nicest statues I have and he is so iconic and representative of Lord of the Rings as a whole. I sometimes wonder about LOTR as a license, and while the books have been around for ages, the films are relatively new. I think a lot of collectors that are into the SW, Marvel stuff, etc... are into those lines partly because of nostalgia from childhood. Since the kids who grew up with LOTR are just now getting to be of that age that they look back fondly on the films, there may be some resurgence in interest. The die-hards will never go away, but I think some of the younger/newer interest in LOTR has yet to surface (or have expendable income!), but we are coming up on the 10th anniversary, and with the Hobbit coming out, I hope that some people come back to the LOTR lines.

Odd thing is, that's exactly what happened with the 1:6. The Hobbits came out, which weren't bad at all, not compared to a lot of the other stuff they were putting out. It seemed like collectors were just making excuses not to buy them. And then Gandalf came out, one of the best 1:6 Sideshow has ever put out. And Sideshow made it seem like nobody bit. Then they said "we won't consider doing more until the current stock sells through." And it did, but they didn't and only after cornering them in chat did they admit that the line was over. So whether or not Gandalf sells out in PF, I'm fairly certain they've already written off the Fellowship in PF form. They're even making excuses (see my last post) as to Gimli being too difficult to do in PF.

I'd like to say the new 1:6 statue line needs to sell out if we expect to see a complete Fellowship in that line, but I have absolutely no faith in Sideshow to keep any form of commitment there whatsoever. As we've seen, they'd rather sculpt another Aragorn or KotD statue. :huh

I would love to see a continuation of the Premium LOTR line. I think LOTR is a MUCH better fit for the premium line then Marvel for example. Look at Wolverine and Sabertooth in particular. Mixed media doesn't always work! For LOTR AT LEAST do a GIMLI! You could even do something with the other 3 hobbits together. Although I'm sure that would be tough!

If the Gollum PF is any indication, the PF line is doing just fine. Produce a top quality product, and keep the ES reasonable....and SS will never have to worry about unsold product sitting in their warehouse. No matter how outstanding the Gandalf PF is, a combined ES of 1650 in this economic climate is not my idea of reasonable. And let's keep in mind, the days of ordering something, and cancelling, without fear of penalty are over....and that will go a long way to ensuring SS isn't stuck with unsold product, whether that be Marvel, SW, or LOTR.

As for Hobbit PF's, the solution seems simple to me. Commission Trevor to do the headsculpts, keep the ES's reasonable, and space them out. Oh, and let's hope SS hasn't seen the results of this poll because based on the numbers so far the chances of ever getting the remaining Hobbits in PF are slim and none. :lecture

If the Gollum PF is any indication, the PF line is doing just fine. Produce a top quality product, and keep the ES reasonable....and SS will never have to worry about unsold product sitting in their warehouse. No matter how outstanding the Gandalf PF is, a combined ES of 1650 in this economic climate is not my idea of reasonable. And let's keep in mind, the days of ordering something, and cancelling, without fear of penalty are over....and that will go a long way to ensuring SS isn't stuck with unsold product, whether that be Marvel, SW, or LOTR.

:goodpost::hi5:

Indeed! I've been saying for a while keep the ES especially combined ES reasonable and lines like LOTR, The Dead, and Indy would be just fine.

Back