Syfy: Face Off 2 with POP Culture Shock Toys' Jerry Macaluso

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Id be lying if I said I wasnt unhappy with my performance...even if the biggest problem with the turtle was Nix, this past episode was all my fault.

Next week is my favorite episode.

Matt and I work REALLY well together....

Hopefully Jerry pulls out on the top next week. Matt is just a talented individual.

Only judging by what's been presented on the shows, I can see Jerry lasting until the third to second to last show, so 5th or 4th best, but from what has transpired, his work is not that impressive. (and no I don't have any related skills to judge his work, other than to say that I love SFI-Horror films and love the work the artist do.)

That's it. He just needs to step it up.

Last edited:
completely different ball game in the movie business though. I don't think he is very good at coming up with great ideas quickly, and you have to be fast. He is a great artist, but it's obvious that he is better fit in the business he's in.

You have to keep in mind, Jerry hasn't done this type of "art" in almost 20 years. During that time, most of his work has been sculpting figures and statues and running his own businesses.

I do understand where your comments are coming from, however, it's not like he's this young kid with very little background to fall back on. Regardless of the the field of art. I mean he did tell someone that he had all this experience when he decided to redo the latex.
When they were looking at his work and the lights were mentioned it wasn't like they were all into the lights. They said it was interesting, yet Jerry got all flustered and now felt it had to be the focus. In the end, the latex sucked along with the lights.

When posting please keep in mind that Jerry is a member here.

I didn't watch the first season but I'm getting into this one. Although there seems to be a wide range of talent. And I rarely agree with the judges. I thought the Parasitophobia was far superior to the one that won.

When posting please keep in mind that Jerry is a member here.

Thats good to know Dave, however he is on a TV show that is a competition in FX make-up, so he is open(season) for critique. I have not read anything in this thread IMHO that is an attack on his character, just some feedback on his work that is shown on the show.

I hope he does well, but thus far, a couple others are better at FX art/sculpting/painting/application :wave

Jerry, I thought your rendition of the Wicked Witch was so much better than the women's team.

The loose skin under the chin and collapsed cheeks was a great way to show age. Your witch could easily be over 120 years old, at least.

The thinning skin around the mouth, exposing the teeth was brilliant.
I also think building around the orbits of the eyes to give them a sunken-in appearance and emphasizing the zygomatic (cheek bones) finishes off the look well and gives a lot of character for this old witch.
Perhaps more boney fingers would have complemented this.

I happen to really like the concept of taking children's stories/characters and re-telling them in a darker, more twisted presentation.
I would love to see this witch in Oz.

Jerry, I thought your rendition of the Wicked Witch was so much better than the women's team.

The loose skin under the chin and collapsed cheeks was a great way to show age. Your witch could easily be over 120 years old, at least.

The thinning skin around the mouth, exposing the teeth was brilliant.
I also think building around the orbits of the eyes to give them a sunken-in appearance and emphasizing the zygomatic (cheek bones) finishes off the look well and gives a lot of character for this old witch.
Perhaps more boney fingers would have complemented this.

I happen to really like the concept of taking children's stories/characters and re-telling them in a darker, more twisted presentation.
I would love to see this witch in Oz.

Thanks

I was really happy with the design and sculpt but I had a lot of problems with my model during the application. She was let go after the first episode for being too difficult to work with.

I wish I had had the chance to properly finish that witch makeup as I think it could have been cool.

Geez, this last episode was strange.
Having to meld an animal with a plant doesn't even sound appealing.

Makes me wonder who comes up with the subject matter that the contestants have to work with.

Having said that, the next episode is gonna rock!
Creating an old man/woman.
A previous client of mine was an absolute master at aging a person for the silver screen.
This one should be prosthetics galore, but I think the paint app will probably decide the winner.

It will be interesting to see the techniques and pieces the contestants come up with for this next challenge.

Geez, this last episode was strange.
Having to meld an animal with a plant doesn't even sound appealing.

Makes me wonder who comes up with the subject matter that the contestants have to work with.

Having said that, the next episode is gonna rock!
Creating an old man/woman.
A previous client of mine was an absolute master at aging a person for the silver screen.
This one should be prosthetics galore, but I think the paint app will probably decide the winner.

It will be interesting to see the techniques and pieces the contestants come up with for this next challenge.

Strange indeed. I find it comical when Glenn Hetrick was criticizing Becki and Sue's work when his work on Lady Gaga's wardrobe is laughable.

Vivica A. Fox was very annoying as a judge to me, I don't know why. The last time I saw her was on Kill Bill. What happened to her face? Botox?

Couldn't tell you why Vivica was a judge.
If SyFy wants people to take this show seriously, they should too.

Really looking forward to the old man/old lady challenge coming up. From what I understand, this is 'very' difficult to pull off, at least, convincingly. :yess:

I didn't really care for the last challenge. I don't think anyone really pulled off the plant/animal/insect hybrid well - though the ones that won, did have the best attempt. Just a weird concept, imo.

I was glad to see Athena go...I thought she should have gone the week before. Have not been that impressed with any of her work.

Next weeks challenge should be interesting. Everyone always says doing old makeup and making it look realistic is one of the hardest things to accomplish.

I didn't really care for the last challenge. I don't think anyone really pulled off the plant/animal/insect hybrid well - though the ones that won, did have the best attempt. Just a weird concept, imo.

I was glad to see Athena go...I thought she should have gone the week before. Have not been that impressed with any of her work.

Next weeks challenge should be interesting. Everyone always says doing old makeup and making it look realistic is one of the hardest things to accomplish.

Athena was out of her league, but considering how limited her background in MUFX is, she did amazingly well.

They dont say it, but Athena had never even made or applied a prosthetic until her audition 4 months before we filmed.

To go from that level of inexperience to sculpting/molding/casting/applying pieces was phenomenal..i was in awe of her natural talent.

Plus she is one of the sweetest, most genuine people I have ever met.

Hey Jerry,

I remember you mentioning that the industry views the show as a joke and it may be detrimental for some contestants to be on it but say in Athena's situation, it seemed she was able to gain some friends/networking and valuable skills from being on the show. In your opinion, do you think the benefits outweigh the costs of being on the show especially for people just starting out in the industry?

Appreciate your inputs by the way; thanks for chiming in :rock

Athena was out of her league, but considering how limited her background in MUFX is, she did amazingly well.

They dont say it, but Athena had never even made or applied a prosthetic until her audition 4 months before we filmed.

To go from that level of inexperience to sculpting/molding/casting/applying pieces was phenomenal..i was in awe of her natural talent.

Plus she is one of the sweetest, most genuine people I have ever met.

It really seems that it would be more fair of a competition if most of the people were at similar skill levels. The winner of season one, had tons of experience and he was just leagues ahead of everyone else. It was pretty obvious from early on that he would win. This season seems a little more fair with no single individual so far ahead of everyone else...but it still seems there is a huge gap between a couple people and the rest.

Curious if you feel the same way Jerry, or if this has a lot to do with the way they are editing the show.

I will agree the show makes it impossible for viewers to really get to know any of the contestants or truly see how much they have learned over the course of the competition. I was just not impressed at all with the horror piece Athena did a couple weeks ago. I felt that was worthy of being sent home and was surprised she stayed a week longer. She does seem like a nice person and seemed to get along well with everyone else on the show. Hopefully she made some good contacts and can use her experience to further her career.

Hey Jerry,

I remember you mentioning that the industry views the show as a joke and it may be detrimental for some contestants to be on it but say in Athena's situation, it seemed she was able to gain some friends/networking and valuable skills from being on the show. In your opinion, do you think the benefits outweigh the costs of being on the show especially for people just starting out in the industry?

Appreciate your inputs by the way; thanks for chiming in :rock

I think for someone like Athena the show is a win/win. She wasnt in the MUFX field before the show and as far as I know, she doesnt really want to be in it. She is a well known body painter/celebrity impersonator and she did the show because she loves to learn new techniques and challenge herself.

It really seems that it would be more fair of a competition if most of the people were at similar skill levels. The winner of season one, had tons of experience and he was just leagues ahead of everyone else. It was pretty obvious from early on that he would win. This season seems a little more fair with no single individual so far ahead of everyone else...but it still seems there is a huge gap between a couple people and the rest.

Curious if you feel the same way Jerry, or if this has a lot to do with the way they are editing the show.

I will agree the show makes it impossible for viewers to really get to know any of the contestants or truly see how much they have learned over the course of the competition. I was just not impressed at all with the horror piece Athena did a couple weeks ago. I felt that was worthy of being sent home and was surprised she stayed a week longer. She does seem like a nice person and seemed to get along well with everyone else on the show. Hopefully she made some good contacts and can use her experience to further her career.

I think they learned a lot first season. I dont think they realized how much better Conor was than everyone else as the casting producers are not trained artists.

In season 2 what they did was create circumstances to level the playing field more. This means someone like Athena, who had almost no experience, could directly compete with someone like myself.

They did this by not making it a makeup competition anymore. Its a 'character' competition now, where your design skills and costuming skills count just as much as your makeup skills.

They also started to judge us based on a curve. The more experienced you are/better your portfolio going into it, the harder they are going to judge you.

Thanks for the response Jerry. Now that I think about it, I do remember reading somewhere (in fact I think you had posted it) about them grading on a curve.

Glad they realized the mistakes that were made in season 1 and that they have made this season a more level playing field for everyone. Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's episode. :duff

Back