Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG by Bioware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They really needed to do 3 tiers. 1 for free folk, 1 for people who bought the software, 1 for current subscribers.

They kind of did it that way but it should have been a bit more of a spread.

Exactly.

I don't think you need an active subscription as some of the perks you can use cartel coins to buy are for non subscriber things like space combat and flashpoints and stuff that subscribers have access to free.

That's what I'm saying. For me it defeats the whole point of CP.

But I checked in the bug report page in game and it says you need an active sub through either normal sub, gametime card and such.
Some people have even bought gametime cards and still don't have access to their CP.

It looks like they just nerfed slicing. Before the update, I spent 95 credits on a mission, and got back 125-225, usually 165-175. Now I get back 75. 20 less than I paid.

Was given this as a gift when it first came out, but just got around to installing it today. I haven't really played it yet, but first impressions are kinda rough. No ingame manual really hurts....Don't see myself committing to this one but we shall see

If you're experienced with MMORPGs, you'll love this game for the first 15-30 levels. Then you'll uninstall it and trash it. :lol

If you're experienced with MMORPGs, you'll love this game for the first 15-30 levels. Then you'll uninstall it and trash it. :lol

Whoa, I am not, actually. This would be my first.....! I hear Guild Wars 2 is awesome. That is more my style. If my COMP can handle it, I shall give the Skyrim universe one a chance

From what I've seen, most people who have had no past experiences with MMOs really enjoy SWTOR. It is a poorly made MMO though.

I haven't tried Guild Wars 2 but I have played a few different MMOs and always end up coming back to World of Warcraft. I don't care much for it's story but it has the most comfortable play style IMO.

I'm looking forward to the Elder Scrolls MMO as well. The first thing I thought when playing Skyrim was that it would make the perfect MMO.

I don't think it's much of a stretch really. Just about everyone who wanted in the SWTOR beta got in eventually (including myself). I think if you've signed up early enough you'll probably get in at some point. We'll see.

Regarding swtor, you might try out the Imperial Agent class. They have the most compelling and well-written story (for a computer game).

I don't think it's much of a stretch really. Just about everyone who wanted in the SWTOR beta got in eventually (including myself). I think if you've signed up early enough you'll probably get in at some point. We'll see.

Regarding swtor, you might try out the Imperial Agent class. They have the most compelling and well-written story (for a computer game).

Thanks, yeah, may restart the game with that class...the Jedi class I am using seems 'ok'

Maybe badguy is the way to go; will give it a fair shake, of course...

Gave this game a solid TRY again this past weekend. Loaded it up, tried to get into it.
Took me a little over an hour to get my settings in a way that felt comfortable. though the in-game text on everything is still so small as to be borderline unreadable.

I find that specific problem in Diablo III as well. there, it's tolerable, becuase i find the game enjoyable.

After an hour of futzing with the UI, and an hour of playing... i can honestly say that even with the "changes" they've made....
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA[/ame]

From what I've seen, most people who have had no past experiences with MMOs really enjoy SWTOR. It is a poorly made MMO though.

I haven't tried Guild Wars 2 but I have played a few different MMOs and always end up coming back to World of Warcraft. I don't care much for it's story but it has the most comfortable play style IMO.

I'm looking forward to the Elder Scrolls MMO as well. The first thing I thought when playing Skyrim was that it would make the perfect MMO.

My brother from an other mother! :1-1:

I've played WoW, SWTOR and GW2.
SWTOR is a great MMO for the atmosphere, the story and the voice acting. However it REALLY lacks in the sense of place and overall world. The game mechanics are very MMO basic and the UI can be annoying if you're an addon freak like me but that's fairly marginal.

GW2 is a really fun MMO as well and it's a plus you don't pay subscription. Much more user friendly for beginners, it can even feel like a single player game often. 'Grouping' is easy as pie and super fun.... though that was at launch and I'm not sure how dynamic events are doing nowadays. The issue I had with it is the story and the involvement with characters, the lore is not bad but it's pretty basic and I didn't really care about my character's story. Very nice sense of place and world though.

Really SWTOR and GW2 are 2 very opposite MMO and you may like one or he other for different reasons.
The bottom line is that I've played both and right now I've been back in WoW for a few months and having a blast. WoW has the best sense of place and world, I LOVE the WoW lore, it has become pretty darn user friendly for beginners and with server mergers the population is always at least decent. WoW is simply a very FUN MMO.

i dont play the game for the story much but, for game play i like it though im not that far in the game and havent been on it in like 2 weeks but thats for other reasons.

My brother from an other mother! :1-1:

I've played WoW, SWTOR and GW2.
SWTOR is a great MMO for the atmosphere, the story and the voice acting. However it REALLY lacks in the sense of place and overall world. The game mechanics are very MMO basic and the UI can be annoying if you're an addon freak like me but that's fairly marginal.
It's basically a single-player game disguised as an MMO.

The stories were fun, the voice acting was awesome, the designs were cool...but there was no real immersion. You never felt like you were actually out in a real world doing your own thing. You're boxed in and being told where to go next.

It's just like completing levels on a single player game.

GW2 is a really fun MMO as well and it's a plus you don't pay subscription. Much more user friendly for beginners, it can even feel like a single player game often. 'Grouping' is easy as pie and super fun.... though that was at launch and I'm not sure how dynamic events are doing nowadays. The issue I had with it is the story and the involvement with characters, the lore is not bad but it's pretty basic and I didn't really care about my character's story. Very nice sense of place and world though.

Really SWTOR and GW2 are 2 very opposite MMO and you may like one or he other for different reasons.
The bottom line is that I've played both and right now I've been back in WoW for a few months and having a blast. WoW has the best sense of place and world, I LOVE the WoW lore, it has become pretty darn user friendly for beginners and with server mergers the population is always at least decent. WoW is simply a very FUN MMO.
Didn't know GW2 was free-to-play. I'll have to try that out sometime.

I just started playing WoW again a few weeks ago. I'm enjoying it so far. Much better than Catacrap. There are some changes I don't like...but more that I do like. The new battle pet system for example is a feature I absolutely love. The fact that you can now capture virtually any "critter" in Azeroth really adds a whole new level of realism and, well, fun to the game IMO.

I'm all about customization. It took me eight days to come up with a name for one of my new characters, and two days to name a single battle pet. :lol

One thing I'm disappointed with is the fact that your achievements, companion pets and mounts are now account bound. That starts to take away what makes a character unique.

GW2 is buy and play or atleast it was when i played it.

Correct. You have to buy the game but there is no subscription.

It's basically a single-player game disguised as an MMO.

The stories were fun, the voice acting was awesome, the designs were cool...but there was no real immersion. You never felt like you were actually out in a real world doing your own thing. You're boxed in and being told where to go next.

It's just like completing levels on a single player game.

Didn't know GW2 was free-to-play. I'll have to try that out sometime.

I just started playing WoW again a few weeks ago. I'm enjoying it so far. Much better than Catacrap. There are some changes I don't like...but more that I do like. The new battle pet system for example is a feature I absolutely love. The fact that you can now capture virtually any "critter" in Azeroth really adds a whole new level of realism and, well, fun to the game IMO.

I'm all about customization. It took me eight days to come up with a name for one of my new characters, and two days to name a single battle pet. :lol

One thing I'm disappointed with is the fact that your achievements, companion pets and mounts are now account bound. That starts to take away what makes a character unique.

Yeah I'm really enjoying my time back in WoW. Leveling a DK right now almost 85. It's fun for me because I've never experienced content past WotLK so it's all new. I haven't touched the pets yet because I'm focused on leveling and doing the holidays.
I'm actually glad the achievements are now account-bound because I can't play as much as I used too and I'm glad I don't have to camp the Time-Lost Proto Drake or Aeonaxx with each characters. I feel like Achievements are more what you experienced as a player than as the character.

Appearently a mass exodus of the remaining subscribers, and many of the F2P players started today.

This is why

So, several months ago, Bioware announced they would be adding in Cathar ( humans with cat ears) as a playable race to the game in a free update.
This never happend

THEN he game went F2P, and they promised Cathar would be included in the Just recently launched Expansion, rise of the Hutt Cartel.
This did not happen.

Cathar were just added today, in an update.
Regardless of whither or not you have purchased the subscription already.
Regardless if you are a F2P player, or a monthly subscriber, the only way to unlock Cathar is to buy them from the cartel store.

Way to go EA.
Way to go.

It's S*** like this that wins you Worst company in america 2 years running, and gets you nominated for a third term.

Who would want to be yet another crappy race that's just a cat like human?
Ridiculous idea anyways.

But still, I'm actually surprised it's not doing as bad as I thought (unless there is actually a lot of people leaving today).
I'm still hoping they'll scrap it by cutting out the multiplayer portion (which is entirely unnecessary for the game) and sell it as a single player game. Otherwise I think they could end up having to shut it down too early and that would be such a waste of content.

Back