Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG by Bioware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After this new update, my game crashes to desktop when loading. Great. Was playing the last month, now the update prevents me from playing.

After this new update, my game crashes to desktop when loading. Great. Was playing the last month, now the update prevents me from playing.

I played this game starting at launch up until the first forced server mergers. After that end game content stagnated for too long and you ended up sitting in the fleet doing nothing. You would think adding more dungeons would have been a priority. Who wants to run the same endgame dungeons over and over. Our whole raid group was completely geared out with nothing left to do but sit in the fleet. Its a shame too because at one point this game had alot of potential, but all of it wasted by terrible management and piss poor in game customer service. EA managed to screw up a star wars branded mmorpg so fast which isn't easy to do. Swg wasn't great by any stretch but that game lasted a lot longer then this one on license alone.

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense unless your only goal is money.

If you're going to build a Star Wars MMORPG, you need to have more than just the human look-alike races.

Waiting for my Nautolan, Kel dor, Iktotchi, Togruta, Kaleesh, Wookie, Mon Cal, Aqualish, Bith, Bothan, Cerean, Chagrian, Devaronian, Neimoidian, Gamorrean, Gungan, Ithorian, Quarren, Rodian, Sullustan, Talz, Trandoshan, Utapaun, Weequay, etc.

This game can best be described as "Wasted Opportunity".

It doesn't make sense unless your only goal is money.

If you're going to build a Star Wars MMORPG, you need to have more than just the human look-alike races.

Waiting for my Nautolan, Kel dor, Iktotchi, Togruta, Kaleesh, Wookie, Mon Cal, Aqualish, Bith, Bothan, Cerean, Chagrian, Devaronian, Neimoidian, Gamorrean, Gungan, Ithorian, Quarren, Rodian, Sullustan, Talz, Trandoshan, Utapaun, Weequay, etc.

This game can best be described as "Wasted Opportunity".
who wouldever do that? Only goal is money?

oh.. yeah.. I forgot..

greedy-EA.jpg

victims-of-ea.png

The reason Bioware gave for the not using non-humanoid races, is they don't think Players can really "RELATE to the story of something that isn't basicly human. or something that is so dramaticly Alien"

Wow has Tauren, Wolf people, Space Goats, And Kung-fu pandas. and people play the crap out of them. Yup, sure seems to be some disconnect there.

Guess there is a reason that TOR only has 500K subscribers to WoW's 8 Million.

Yeah I know. :lol

I don't think I've ever made a human character on WoW. Kinda ruins the fun of playing a fantasy adventure IMO. :dunno

That's over dramatic, most of those studios are still around and have made games that people like since EA bought them.

Yeah, they really did great things with Ultima which was a great series and a huge MMO at one time. :slap

Everything people posted is pretty spot on. SWToR had the ability to be great, it was wasted on a company with a business agenda that had no clue what players wanted.

I guess opinion are likes *******s though.

I'll give you that, however, I'll not say that "MOST " of the sdesign decisions were made by bioware. This game has very little in common, visualy , with the other bioware star wars games.

it ddoes, however, share a great deal, visualy, with the then mega-popular clone wars series. Which is something, I'll wager, that was pushed by Lucasfilm, in an effort to make it "jive with" the productimage of the then contemporarty media that was clone wars.

Again, YES, I'll also agree that most, if not all of the Non-art design decisions, as far as the actual feel and design of the game is concerned were made in-house by Bioware. Even the bad ones, and the things they chose to leave out for whatever stuipd reason.

We know this, becuase we know the game framework was being laid out as "generic add any flavor Setting MMO". They ( Bioware) had a list of properties they wanted to use i nthe MMO. Star Wars was top of the list, followed By Westeros ( game of thrones) and several others, eventualy dropping down to in-house properties.

We know this becuase Bioware told us.

https://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/21/star-wars-the-old-republic-could-have-been-a-game-of-thrones-mmo/

The Blane that comes from EA, is their history of cutting corners, and taking shortcuts, and releasing unfinished product ( And I'm fairlycertain we can agre that TOR wasn't finished at lauch) just to make a release date, instead of trying to release a polished, "finished" ( insofar as an MMO can ever be considered to be finished) product.

I think because of the size of the game it would have cost too much to have the graphics at the quality of today's games so instead of doing a poor job on trying to get something that looked more realistic they went with something more stylized so that people would accept it. Production would have started before the Clone Wars show so I doubt they were influenced by that.

I think they released it too soon since there were too many bugs in the first 30 levels or so of the missions

Back