Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG by Bioware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in my mid 30's, and I'm just wondering. is anyone else getting kinda bored with the game?

I'm not bored with the story at all. My problem is it just don't feel like a regular MMO.

In LOTRO i am engaged in the world atmosphere it feels like im in ME. Same with SWG, i felt i was there exploring. I don't feel that here for some reason. I am big on immersion and i don't feel that with TOR. They don't even have day/night cycles. It's like they sacrificed a lot of this stuff for STORY. I actually went back to LOTRO for a bit and am going back and forth. It's a single player game with an online component. (great story and good no doubt, but i think they missed the ball on what a MMO truly is...So hopefully.....PATCHES!)

But i am playing this for story alone and while that's good, It's not why i wanted to play SW in an MMO setting.

Last edited:
I'm not bored with the story at all. My problem is it just don't feel like a regular MMO.

In LOTRO i am engaged in the world atmosphere it feels like im in ME. Same with SWG, i felt i was there exploring. I don't feel that here for some reason. I am big on immersion and i don't feel that with TOR. They don't even have day/night cycles. It's like they sacrificed a lot of this stuff for STORY. I actually went back to LOTRO for a bit and am going back and forth. It's a single player game with an online component. (great story and good no doubt, but i think they missed the ball on what a MMO truly is...So hopefully.....PATCHES!)

But i am playing this for story alone and while that's good, It's not why i wanted to play SW in an MMO setting.
I agree..the story is just awesome, but the game doesn't feel..it's difficult to explain. It's not as...random? Realistic I guess? I mean, the story part of it, the decisions you have to make, that part is realistic and very appealing..but the exploring, that real "mmo" experience just really isn't there I guess. It feels like there's just not much to do other than missions..you can't run around and find all of these interesting things you didn't expect like in WoW.

I think if they took that bit from WoW and added it in here, the game would be perfect for me.

But, you gotta remember..it's only been what, two months since the release? I only have one character, level 18 Chiss IA, and I am loving the story so much. I plan on making SEVERAL different classes after my IA gets a little higher..trying out the different classes' stories should keep me entertained until they can increase the MMO experience quality of the game...I have faith in Bioware.

..would also like to say, level 15 Imperial Agent missions.. ____ING INCREDIBLE! The whole terrorist incident, amazing.. Also love the ship more than I thought I would, as well as space battles.

It's not the story I'm bored with, That's really the ONLY thing keeping me coming back at the moment. It's just.... I don't know.

It's missing something. something about it is just NOT resonating with me.

It's not the story I'm bored with, That's really the ONLY thing keeping me coming back at the moment. It's just.... I don't know.

I agree..the story is just awesome, but the game doesn't feel..it's difficult to explain. It's not as...random? Realistic I guess? I mean, the story part of it, the decisions you have to make, that part is realistic and very appealing..but the exploring, that real "mmo" experience just really isn't there I guess. It feels like there's just not much to do other than missions..you can't run around and find all of these interesting things you didn't expect like in WoW.

X2

because you played it all before..in wow..in lotro...in warhammer. It's just a hand-railed theme park mmorpg to the extreme. It only satisfy certain type of gamers...the type who like to get led by the nose following a big red x on the map for 12 hours straight and has an organism everytime a kill x quest is completed. The type who can run the exact same raid 100 times...without getting bored.

There is no more innovation in mmorpg anymore, wow killed the genre. The lone exception is eve-online who dared to show not all mmorpg gamers are retarded. But that's a whole different topic.

The saddest day is when soe tried to turn swg into a wow-clone and killed the game, instead of fixing the game. SWG was the last game that tried to innovate despite its bugs and issues.

Then you look at a game like the old republic with a $100mil+ development budget and almost unlimited resources, yet those p***ies are scared _____less to deviate even slightly from the wow formula. What a sad state of affairs.

because you played it all before..in wow..in lotro...in warhammer. It's just a hand-railed theme park mmorpg to the extreme. It only satisfy certain type of gamers...the type who like to get led by the nose following a big red x on the map for 12 hours straight and has an organism everytime a kill x quest is completed. The type who can run the exact same raid 100 times...without getting bored.

There is no more innovation in mmorpg anymore, wow killed the genre. The lone exception is eve-online who dared to show not all mmorpg gamers are retarded. But that's a whole different topic.

The saddest day is when soe tried to turn swg into a wow-clone and killed the game, instead of fixing the game. SWG was the last game that tried to innovate despite its bugs and issues.

Then you look at a game like the old republic with a $100mil+ development budget and almost unlimited resources, yet those p***ies are scared _____less to deviate even slightly from the wow formula. What a sad state of affairs.

I've got to agree. I find myself REALLY wanting something else to do. Something personal I guess.

..would also like to say, level 15 Imperial Agent missions.. ____ING INCREDIBLE! The whole terrorist incident, amazing.. Also love the ship more than I thought I would, as well as space battles.

Wait till you reach the level 30ish quests :p

But I agree with all of you, SWTOR lacks that sense of 'world'. The best way I can explain it is that in other MMOs (and even games like Skyrim or Diablo) I always have the urge to explore the whole map, uncover the fog of war and see what's around the corner.
Two of my first and most vivid memories from WoW was just fishing near Goldshire during beta and when I was in Duskwood exploring a bit and getting into Deadwind Pass, seeing Karazhan in the back with level 55 mobs when I was around lvl 18. I just heightened my senses entirely and I was very cautious but enthralled at the same time.

There is nothing like this in SWTOR. I couldn't care less about the fog of war except maybe when I'm 50 and hunting Holocrons...

And Re: something else to do there isn't much.
Crafting is interesting but its numbers and economy is messed up right now so it's useless mostly till cap and even then....
WoW's crafting was very basic but the economy was well balanced and to me the best crafting that I've played was in Vanguard.
The space missions are fun distraction (and with the severe lack of space games lately it's very welcome even though basic) but it's a bit too repetitious.
PvP is.... a joke? I'm level 40 and I've seen maybe 4 republic scum since I've started. 4!! :dunno

So yes SWTOR is very much a story game and I now believe what Bioware has been saying all along that SWTOR is actually KotOR 3-8. It just feels like a solo game that's online as opposed to an actual online game.

I'm going to finish my IA story then do a Jugg and a Sorcerer but after that I'm not entirely sure I'll keep playing.
I do want to try LotRO though.

My only gripe with SWTOR right now is that I was hoping it would be a tad more like Galaxies was. I was hoping the planets would be much bigger and not limited to one region. Maybe have a republic and empire region on each planet with neutral ground in the middle where some PVP can happen.

Also I would have liked more class specific content. Like if you are a bounty hunter there would be a place you could go to get hired for generic bounty hunting missions. Like a cantina where bounties are posted and you choose one and you have to go hunt the target on whatever planet they are on. Like more generic missions for each class. Something that would keep you busy.

I'm in my mid 30's, and I'm just wondering. is anyone else getting kinda bored with the game?

I'm getting frustrated. At level 50 with all my powers, I still can't solo some level 46s WITH my companion. That's TWO 50s vs one 46 and it's not possible?? Something is seriously wrong with that. MAYBE not being able without a companion would make sense unless you had all of the very best equipment, for those players who want a greater challenge. The difficulty was perfect on Tython, but when I reached Hoth, it began to get too difficult to solo some parts, even non heroics. Parts of Voss are impossible to solo, even on solo missions. It's really messed up. The enemies levels are messed up. In City Of Heroes, the enemies levels are right. However, why even have qualifiers like strong, Champion, ect? Why not just increase the level displayed for them to be accurate? Just up their displayed level by 5 or whatever, because that's what they are.
Plus, repairing equipment can be like 30k each time. You can't accumulate credits that way, so I simply never repair my stuff.I still don't even have enough for my level 2 speeder license. Interestingly, my companion's equipment hardly gets damaged. Still, I cant heal her well enough to keep her alive on some enemies, just one of them. Again, so wrong.

So I need a guild so I can get the pink saber crystal....Just a buddy and I aren't strong enough to get it ourselves :monkey2

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho8Yuxxq40I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho8Yuxxq40I[/ame]

Except it doesn't FEEL like an MMO.. playing this game, i find myself WANTING to play World of warcraft, or the original Everquest.
I don't know, there is just something about it that's.... off.

My issue is that the worlds are very closed, and there's no feeling that the characters and animals could actually live there, especially since they're all hanging out in groups and so you can look off in the distance and see all these groups of enemies dotted around the road.

So I need a guild so I can get the pink saber crystal....Just a buddy and I aren't strong enough to get it ourselves :monkey2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho8Yuxxq40I

damn i want a magenta crystal :monkey2 and my server has guilds recruiting all the time too.

on another note, last night about 10 minutes before the servers were going to go down for maintenance a group i had was doing a heroic on Hoth where we had to kill 10 elite Jedi and pick up sith artifacts they had. it looked like we werent going to make it since we needed 2 more Jedi's and have one minute left but somehow we pulled it off :rock

damn i want a magenta crystal :monkey2 and my server has guilds recruiting all the time too.

on another note, last night about 10 minutes before the servers were going to go down for maintenance a group i had was doing a heroic on Hoth where we had to kill 10 elite Jedi and pick up sith artifacts they had. it looked like we werent going to make it since we needed 2 more Jedi's and have one minute left but somehow we pulled it off :rock

NICE :rock:rock:rock:rock

I will agree with some of you that it doesn't FEEL like a true mmorpg (with the day changes and the life-styleish planets), but it's Star Wars and I can't help but love it :lol

since this is my first MMORPG i dont have anything to compare it too so im thinking they did a great job but like i said i had no idea what to expect from a MMO

The one thing that is very hard going back to MMOs after playing SWTOR is you realize how much you miss the voice acting.

Back