Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
0ROed16.gif

you just know he got freaky with that thing.... onl lonely nights

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD

If Rian must absolutely take the character in this direction and put Luke in the scenario where he seriously questions killing his apprentice —a direction I’ve made pretty clear I disagree with, it only further adds insult to injury to debate doing it in such a cowardly way that further takes away from his already compromised character.

What did you want to see out of the character in this trilogy?

I was pondering that about now, Disney wants to introduce disney nostalgia by tying in characters that are familiar and selling the brand, if anyone here still believes Kathleen never cared for fans this was the movie to prove it, SW just became mainstream, keep pushing the fans to the side and with the way things are even the new generation won’t even want star wars, these last movies are an insult to everyone, i get the EU is too much for the movies, but do the screenwriters even watch the old movies?

Is it hard to rerun all the movies and figure where to go from there? Everything obviously talks about episode Ix and forgot about the han movie because that’s what it is? Nothing to look forward to...

The merchandise is dead got it, Disney wants to create locations for their Star wars land and we all know we all want to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All about the money. And the OT characters were the bait. Don't matter if the content is relevant to Star Wars, it's a great platform for Kathleen Kennedy to push her feminist agenda on the industry...at the cost of Star Wars. It's easier to control one individual like Rian or J.J. Feige for Marvel is great that he has many minds on a script and approach to the film. J.J. and Rian just wrote their own scripts and they both were terrible. To say anyone creating TFA or TLJ scripts are fans of Star Wars is an unforgivable joke.

No, because just like he stopped himself from murdering his father, he obviously also stopped himself from murdering his nephew as well for whatever reason. So the premise of "he tried to find the good in his father" is actually moot because he was on the verge of killing both his father and nephew but didn't go through with it, regardless of the circumstances. Perhaps he also tried to find the good in his nephew.

Based on what you're saying, you're essentially saying if he's going to kill someone, at least kill them when they're awake/fighting, not asleep.

Luke started first with an attempt to redeem his Dad despite many warning that it was impossible and only switched to being aggressive after being provoked with threats on his friends and family.

With Kylo, his first thought at seeing just the potential for darkness in him was to murder him in his sleep.

Space leia had better get a release. If not, I guess I can just toss a black series in the freezer

This movie was terrible. Everything about it was wrong on so many levels. I take back everything negative I ever said about George Lucas and the prequels.

Luke started first with an attempt to redeem his Dad despite many warning that it was impossible and only switched to being aggressive after being provoked with threats on his friends and family.

With Kylo, his first thought at seeing just the potential for darkness in him was to murder him in his sleep.

Perhaps that's because at that point, Luke was starting to become the jaded, broken down man that we were first introduced to in TFA as a result of Ben Ren turning evil and Luke blaming himself and questioning the Jedi.

I haven't seen the film yet but from what I hear, some additional backstory to this might have been informative to which led Luke to that point.

I cannot believe the hate this movie is getting. The same people who complained about TFA and saying the next will be repackaged Empire are now saying " Last Jedi isn't what I wanted out of a middle chapter of a Star Wars movie" and "Rian Johnson didn't do what I wanted!"

Boo hoo. Jeez....Johnson took the characters and the story in an unexpected and new direction. I personally don't agree with every decision he made, but I also think Anakin's turn to the dark side was poorly executed and I still love ROTS. I hate how the Empire were defeated by dang Ewoks. For everything there is to complain about, there is the handling of Kylo Ren's story. How he viewed his Master/Uncle turning on him and almost murdered him in his sleep. There is the opening space battle and the handling of Poe Dameron's character and his rise to being a leader. There is Rey's revelation (or accepting) that she came from nowhere which is an unexpected and welcome twist for me. This movie was about pushing these characters in ways that challenge and change them.

Now I don't care for Canto Bight, the stupid bacta suit gag, honestly the handling of Finn all around. And I would have liked backstory for Snoke. Maybe just a brief section where he explains how he learned the dark side or explained how he even contacted young Ben Solo to seduce him. I didn't care Luke milking the stupid ant eater creature.

But man I cannot believe the absolute hate from fans crying they didn't do what you wanted them to do. Talk about self entitled and impossible to please. My oldest brother came with me last night and he is the one who got me into SW at such an early age I can't remember not being a fan. He hated it also, but he just said "these movies are no longer made for me. This is Disney wanting to broaden the story so they can keep making SW movies. But I'm out and will just hold onto the originals". He wasn't angry or loudly complaining, he just realized he's almost 50 and new SW movies are going to expand beyond the Skywalker's eventually.

Kudos to you and your brother. He nailed it. I got there this morning. It was the feeling of exclusion - the realization that after 40 years (I’m 43 and my parents took me to Star Wars at 3 years old so I count from there) of being a fan and bringing my son into it full throttle- that Disney, Kathleen, JJ and Johnson don’t give a crap about me.

Once I reconciled that idea with how I am feeling I got to a better place - all that’s left is for me to sit on this rock and let the force take me. Hopefully before episode 9 arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you want to see out of the character in this trilogy?

I was perfectly okay with him being an old hermit, but I believe in their effort to round out his second arc in this new trilogy (the first arc bring 4,5,6) they mishandled the motivation for him being disenfranchised, compromising the character in the process. I enjoyed Hamill’s acting and Luke’s dialogue in the film. I enjoyed his Force Projection sacrifice. I’m not sure it was the right move to kill him in this film, but he can always force-ghost around in the next one I suppose. When you’re reintroducing familiar characters into a new trilogy, especially ones as loved as these, it can be tricky. I acknowledge that, and I also acknowledge I have an emotional bias towards these characters that makes any mishandling more personal. But I hold to the character mishandle being an objective mishandle in Luke’s case.

Harsh review but I kind of agree with him in some way. Never been this conflicted about a film before. :dunno

I can say after watching the movie I have zero interest in owning Snoke. What a chump.

Seriously, what a waste of a character, while we're on the topic of wastes of characters and Hot Toys releases, why the hell are they releasing another Phasma??

Seriously, what a waste of a character, while we're on the topic of wastes of characters and Hot Toys releases, why the hell are they releasing another Phasma??

How does she compare to Boba Fett and his total screen time and number of toys?

I was perfectly okay with him being an old hermit, but I believe in their effort to round out his second arc in this new trilogy (the first arc bring 4,5,6) they mishandled the motivation for him being disenfranchised, compromising the character in the process. I enjoyed Hamill’s acting and Luke’s dialogue in the film. I enjoyed his Force Projection sacrifice. I’m not sure it was the right move to kill him in this film, but he can always force-ghost around in the next one I suppose. When you’re reintroducing familiar characters into a new trilogy, especially ones as loved as these, it can be tricky. I acknowledge that, and I also acknowledge I have an emotional bias towards these characters that makes any mishandling more personal. But I hold to the character mishandle being an objective mishandle in Luke’s case.

Yeah, after last seeing a childhood hero be victorious in the face of adversity, it can be a bit shocking that the next major first time we see him (not including TFA), he's contemplating murdering someone in their sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back