Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly I can also see what put people off it...all hyperbole aside even as I was watching and enjoying it I could immediately see where it was going to be losing folks...

If I had main gripes i think it would be

1: all the political and underlining statements
2: The humor was too much
3: choice of Luke's character
4: the story ended where it began
5: there was no continuation from TFA

not in any order

giphy.gif

:lol :lol :lol

I still liked it lol

It looms like a shadow over everything they've built here.

:lol :lol :lol :lecture

Yes it does a-dev.

Hangover jye agrees.

If I had main gripes i think it would be

1: all the political and underlining statements
2: The humor was too much
3: choice of Luke's character
4: the story ended where it began
5: there was no continuation from TFA

not in any order

Your # 1 is so not a problem for me in this movie.

Female Holdo sacrificed her life so that the white male could live and be a mighty hero and leader so that crap about her is debunked.

Rose didn’t rescue the slave kids because that wasn’t her mission the rescuing of the animals was a byproduct of them needing a diversion so that crap about her is debunked.

Like I said a non issue for me in a movie with one real major issue, the wheel spinning.

Have a good day though lol

So apparently people don't enjoy the third week-end as much as Rian Johnson does, TLJ is going to make about $3 million more than Rogue One on the same week-end.

sgrrgs.jpg

Bro stop rubbing it in , guess what ? I am a white middle class, middle aged American cowboy that lives on a farm in Deadwood.

Can you please show me in writing where it states that an episode numbered SW movie has to perform exactly like TFA did?

Where does it say that if it makes only 3 million more than RO on its 3rd weekend that it is now considered a failure?

NO MOVIE HAS EARNED MORE THAN AVATAR (keep inflation out of it don’t care) so does that make ALL MOVIES that earned over a billion but didn’t beat Avatar failures?

The narrative behind the hatred of Kennedy SW is irrationally comical lol

Can you please show me in writing where it states that an episode numbered SW movie has to perform exactly like TFA did?

Where does it say that if it makes only 3 million more than RO on its 3rd weekend that it is now considered a failure?

Page 1004, Article 7, Item 42:

shopping

NO MOVIE HAS EARNED MORE THAN AVATAR (keep inflation out of it don’t care) so does that make ALL MOVIES that earned over a billion but didn’t beat Avatar failures?

The narrative behind the hatred of Kennedy SW is irrationally comical lol

This has been discussed at length. No one is calling it a failure. The word failure is nowhere in my post. It is, however, underperforming by a huge margin.
It's not about making the same as TFA, that's not gonna happen. But it COULD have been in the 1.7 billion range at the end of its run, easily, had the movie been more widely appreciated.

And yes, common sense dictates that a trilogy movie should outperform RO in terms of box office (which it is doing, just really not as much as expected) for many reasons. Far more expectations story-wise, beloved, legendary characters returning, grander scale, etc...

Have you thought that maybe RO over performed?

Where is it law that ALL SW movies from now on need to earn 2B?

I bet Disney knew as soon as TFA made over 2B that everything else that comes afterwards would be viewed as failures.

Last edited:

I bet Disney knew as soon as TFA made over 2B that everything else that comes afterwards would be viewed as failures.

Again, no one is saying it should make 2 billion. 1.7 billion isn't 2 billion. What it is, is what TLJ could have made with a wider acclaim from general audiences. Still a roughly 20% decrease compared to TFA which made 2.1, so a reasonable expectation for Disney.
The split in the fanbase, that's what's missing from its box office. All those repeat viewings that could have happened but didn't, all the word of mouth (which has a far bigger impact on numbers than critic reviews) that made people not go see the movie instead of going to see it.

And again, you are using the word failure when no one else is. Underperforming and failure aren't the same thing. In TLJ's case, a failure would be $700 million, it's already far past that.

@klwn

Please stop with the semantics it is being sold as a complete failure and a clear referendum on Kennedy’s position of power over a white male dominated franchise and a push back towards her relinquishing control back to Lucas.

Actually you can use semantics all you want I can’t stop you but I did say please lol

Last edited:
Neither. I don't think it's anything diabolical or sinister.

Look, I knew it wouldn't be an easy pill for you to swallow. I know you, you love tracking the totals for these things like the good little wanna be bookie you are. I'm merely suggesting that the numbers you're seeing may be exaggerated, the highs and the lows. Your favorite teams might not be hot **** you thought they were. This just isn't the profits being fluffed up, but the alleged budgets that supposedly went into the making of them as well. Everything from the moment a film is announced to the end of it's theatrical run and push to homevideo is carefully arranged. Those involved with these Star Wars movies certainly have enough clout to put out any information they want to paint the positive picture they need. It's not just the studio, but other forces that have their jobs riding on the success of something like a Star Wars picture. Think of all the advertising and PR. These headlines and BO Returns are just as much a apart of that as a trailer, or a movie poster, or a licensed polished porg.

I think it's telling that the sales of the toys and merchandising, the main source of profit for Star Wars since day one as you know, is spiraling downward to a slowdown and brand fatigue, and yet people claim that the box office for the actual movies is all hunky dorky. It doesn't make sense. I think there's more to the picture than meets the eye. I don't think any of us really can know whether or not these huge movies are actual financial success or failures because not everything is being disclosed to us. I most definitely think the numbers we're seeing aren't accurate, I mean, how could they be?

You're just as skeptical as I am about the world we live in Jye, perhaps more so. With a couple of key words, I could get you into a full blown rant about Gal Gadot that would make people on here think a lot worse than a tin foil hat wearing conspiracist! Remember, this was the very thread in which I brought up the seedy, corrupt side of Hollywood with it's casting couches, it's desperate actors and lecherous producers and I was banned for it. This was 6 months before actual allegations about these kind of dealings started flooding in.

If those things can be swept under the rug for so many years, why can't something as rudimentary as "muh box office monies". Forget the big lies that people make up for whatever reason, how about all the small ones. Have you looked at boxofficemojo's outdated looking site or read some of the blog tier articles from these news outlets like Forbes? Not exactly what I'd call the gatekeepers of truth.

Yeah i’m pretty much always just a few midichlorians away from being an Anakin youngling meet and greet lol

Did you use “muh” you know how much that makes my day right lol

Nobody knows me like Master D with the mic he’s right it’s true all of it.

I do have a very nasty darkside that i’m always fearful of unleashing.

My wife has spent the better part of 16 years trying to convince me not to elope into the Andes for good.

I am a Jedi like my father before me so I guess I have to stick around lol

lol @ Junkion always arriving at the same time like clock work.

Someone even said in the Xmen thread that a photo of a beat up Magneto was a metaphor for Disney I was like wut :slap

Last edited:

you talk sense green one..

No SW is going to make more than TFA (well until future generations with $40 tickets and adjusted inflation etc)
TLJ is a freakin success- if the brand name is hurt well that's that. SW is not ruined- heck even SOLO might prove to be a big surprise and be good..
The Kennedy hate is over-the-top garbage. It's all meaningless-90% of the audience aren't crazed fan boys of the type on these boards. They pay their money and watch the movie.
To those of you who say they refuse to see Solo and Ep 9- who are you fooling? Not me...

No SW is going to make more than TFA (well until future generations with $40 tickets and adjusted inflation etc)
TLJ is a freakin success- if the brand name is hurt well that's that. SW is not ruined- heck even SOLO might prove to be a big surprise and be good..
The Kennedy hate is over-the-top garbage. It's all meaningless-90% of the audience aren't crazed fan boys of the type on these boards. They pay their money and watch the movie.
To those of you who say they refuse to see Solo and Ep 9- who are you fooling? Not me...

In the year 2789 a movie ticket will be $10,000 :lol

Actually look at VHS movies from the late 80s and early 90s they were $100 and 4K blurays were on sale Black Friday for $10-$15! :lol

And here we have spindrift. An interesting, peculiar fellow. His life on this board is a sad story, for the DCEU so broke him and he turned to and found solace in the gaping, hairy, rancid maw of Disney Star Wars.

Pity him but do not follow, for there is no escape.

:lol :lol :lol

D

I bought you the new Rey BS that facial scanning tech is a game changer for that price point give me your address so that I can send her to you she is excellent I promise that you will enjoy it!

CFA88EF2-C73E-42BA-AD85-CF768284318A.jpg
D27749CE-99FD-486A-B381-E05913050DF6.jpg

Hasbro even included the title of ownership of the Falcon and Chewie and an instructional booklet on how to shoot the Falcon canons as good as Rey can lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back