Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in 2017!

I forgot about all that borg infused stuff. Voyager towards the end was just so tedious. Once i saw 7 hooking up with chokotay i was done.

I think I stopped watching Voyager in season 6. While Seven of Nine and the Borg gave it a needed boost in season 4 it eventually all got very samey. The Borg lost all novelty and mystery.

I don't understand CBS reasoning when they say Star Trek isn't a good fit for television. Weren't FIVE previous Star Trek shows aired on television? Each one was successful in their own right. Enterprise had and has plenty of fans, of which I am one to this day. Enterprise went four seasons which is one whole season more than the original series did. Star Trek was born, lived and survived on television in first run and syndication practically non stop since 1966 but CBS says Star Trek Discovery wouldn't make it or survive on broadcast TV? I really can't get that. What crystal ball told them that?

I don't understand CBS reasoning when they say Star Trek isn't a good fit for television. Weren't FIVE previous Star Trek shows aired on television? Each one was successful in their own right. Enterprise had and has plenty of fans, of which I am one to this day. Enterprise went four seasons which is one whole season more than the original series did. Star Trek was born, lived and survived on television in first run and syndication practically non stop since 1966 but CBS says Star Trek Discovery wouldn't make it or survive on broadcast TV? I really can't get that. What crystal ball told them that?
I think they are right it would need to be seriously updated and need a higher production cost . In a world on game of thrones and west world TV show this thing better better be knocking out of the park and not just another run of the mill scfi channel show.

The older shows are fine for scfi fans like ourselves, but even when I watch them now I can tell how seriously out dated they are and I am not talking about the effects it's style of writing and a few good episodes, but in a post Nolan world the rest would come off as being outdated and cheesy. They realize if they want to reach a wider audience they would need to invest and update it similar to what they did to the movies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Like CW and ABC superhero shows, right? [emoji38]
Yes , for me at least they are so weak I can watch them but I am biased since I am fan of scfi, but as you can tell when super girl was on CBS it was about to get cancel do they saved it by moving it to cw were the audience is more to their liking .

Those show are heavy on the teen mellow drama and light on the story if you even compare it there cousins on net flicks it can't hold a candle to those shows. You can tell how biased fans are when they ask WB to cast these actors for their movies, when they are clearly average sure if you want sappy teen drama cast these guys but not for a movie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I realize it may be hard to discuss this new show with so little information being released to the public, but the lack of activity on this thread surprises me. The Barbie Movie thread has more page counts than this does and that thread was started only three days ago. Hmmm, CBS may be correct in their cautious approach to this new series, but I am really looking forward to new Star Trek stories in the prime universe.

I realize it may be hard to discuss this new show with so little information being released to the public, but the lack of activity on this thread surprises me. The Barbie Movie thread has more page counts than this does and that thread was started only three days ago. Hmmm, CBS may be correct in their cautious approach to this new series, but I am really looking forward to new Star Trek stories in the prime universe.

Barbie will have more posts because many posters here are more interested in memes and sarcastic quips than actual discussion.

The moment I heard the Captain is NOT the main character, I was immediately intrigued. If budget was no issue, I'd do a Star Trek show as an Anthology. Same ship but different crew member focus and story every week. With popular characters repeating a couple times

If it's related to the old series then I'll give it a try.
If it's related to the new Pseudo-Trek then they can kiss my arse.

It's related to the original trek, not the Kelvin Timeline Trek. That much has been verified.

I've never really been a fan of Michelle Yeoh, though I've only ever seen her in Tomorrow Never Dies (a film that she nearly single-handedly killed, despite an intriguing premise and great villian. Of course, "stunt-casting" actresses in Brosnan-era Bond films was more the norm than the exception, so you can't really single her out).

Doug Jones, though, intrigues me. He's such a GREAT prosthetic/CGI actor, I hope his character turns out good. I can't recall seeing Rapp in anything.

Honestly, the big things that kill my enthusiasm are 1) having to subscribe to this new CBS All Access for ONE show (ok, lots of shows, but most of those are already on Netflix), and 2) That ugly, UGLY ship design which I hope they completely trash and start over.

BUT I agree with the idea of focusing on lower ranking crew. There was a book trilogy back in the day called "Errand of Vengeance" that was about a Klingon agent placed inside Starfleet, as part of a program to replace low-ranking crew who wouldn't be noticed across the fleet (along the lines of what Arne Darvin was doing). The agent was a redshirt, and was one of the unnamed redshirts who went on away missions with Kirk et all. Each one of the books was set "behind the scenes" during an episode of TOS, with the plot of the episode being the "B" plot. Lower Decks was an awesome episode that I loved of TNG, which of course did the same thing. I wish they actually did that, at least in a miniseries...like "Trials and Tribble-ations" but over the course of multiple episodes. So I'm intrigued with the idea, but we'll see how they actually execute it.

Rapp was in the X-Files episode 'Detour' where Mulder and Scully are in the forest with Mothmen. He had an infrared gun showing where they were. He can do nerdy techie really well.

4. The idea of a post ds9 story was impossible.

Why exactly?

My problem with prequels is that they box you into an already established universe, limiting story ideas. Either that, or they seriously retcon some basics just to make things interesting.

A sequel has limitless possibilities. Seems to be a better way to go.

A prequel series also has the problem of making sure they don't contradict anything that is mentioned in any of the series that were created before it even though they happen afterwards in the timeline. The biggest issue within the Star Trek universe has always been how the Klingon's appearance changed from the original TV series to the Motion Picture and all the shows that retained that look thereafter. Since the Klingons have now been confirmed to have a large presence in Discovery, I wonder if they will keep the look introduced in TOS or go with the altered look & behavior that has been sustained since Star Trek The Motion Picture. Star Trek Enterprise did their best to explain the change and that show is now the prequel to Discovery.

For those that may not know here is the the "reason" for the changing look of the Klingons - (the following was copied from a wiki page):

A canonical explanation for the change was given in a two-part storyline on Star Trek: Enterprise, in the episodes "Affliction" and "Divergence" that aired in February 2005. Attempting to replicate experiments by humans to create augmented soldiers, Klingon scientists used genetic material from human test subjects on their own people, which resulted in a viral pandemic which caused Klingons to develop human-like physical characteristics. Dr. Phlox of the Enterprise formulated a cure for the virus, but the physical alterations remained in the populace and were inherited by offspring. Phlox indicated that "some day" the physical alterations could be reversed.

Star Trek has always endeavoured to be that way. Nothing new there.

Last edited:
Back