Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in 2017!

Looks like the cast of Discovery is finally heading in front of the cameras!

Some new information from Screenrant:

An updated production list from the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees local 873 in Toronto has listed Star Trek: Discovery among their current productions. Listed under the working title of Green Harvest, the series is set to begin production next week on January 24 and continue through September 17.

Still, with what little we know about the series so far, it certainly seems like a worthwhile investment. Set ten years before the original Star Trek series, Discovery is taking us into a period often discussed by the various shows, though never portrayed. Last year, Fuller revealed that the episode “Balance of Terror” would be a “touchstone” for the new series, which suggests that the oft-mentioned Romulan war would be presented for the first time.

We also know that the series will focus on Martin-Green’s Lt. Commander Rainsford, with Yeoh’s Captain playing a supporting role in the context of the arc. That’s an interesting departure for a series to take. While individual episodes of the various Star Trek series have focused on subordinate characters, each series tends to revolve around its respective captain. For context, it would be as if The Next Generation had been told primarily through the eyes of Data or La Forge, with Picard playing a lesser role.

That conceit allows for new narrative potential, allowing us to see the operations of a Starfleet ship from an entirely different angle than we’re used to. This presents an opportunity to explore the chain of command and the balance of power of a vessel in a new light, which would be especially interesting if, indeed, the series is set within the Romulan war.

There's a new promo that shows a bit of the sets, some of the costumes, and little of some of the ships:

Never liked the idea of a female captain. Don't like it here.

I always thought Captain Janeway was awesome. She was tenacious and really into the role. It went 7 seasons. I have my doubts with this one and the feeling of a SJW crew.

Janeway had her moments but I feel a male captain would have been great here. It feels ike they're trying way too hard to appeal to LGBT and gender equality masses.

A chick commander? That takes place before TOS?

:lol

Maybe commander of the laundry room.

I'm not sure if you guys know, but we've actually, already, had women generals in the U.S. military! We live in a crazy, crazy world.

Do they let them carry guns?

How about asians?

I'm all for it, and certainly looking forward to some new trek. for what its worth, I think that the majority of folk questioning the female captain, aren't doing it for a sexist reason, its the fact that I think its fairly established in canon that there weren't any female captains in starfleet until after the time of TOS. There's actually a line in Turnabout Intruder, "your world of starship captains doesn't include women"

Back