Star trek: Strange new worlds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.

As far as I'm concerned, Discovery, Prodigy & Lower Decks can disappear into a black hole, never to be seen again . . . but THIS on the other hand :bow

Aww... I kinda like Prodigy. The first few episodes were rough (like almost every other Trek show out there) but once they got into the Protostar and the story starts moving, it was actually pretty good. I might be biased though because I am a Voyager fan.

Lower Decks is growing on me. It's fun and I don't mind watching it to pass some time.

Discovery is solidly on the meh pile. :lol

Aww... I kinda like Prodigy. The first few episodes were rough (like almost every other Trek show out there) but once they got into the Protostar and the story starts moving, it was actually pretty good. I might be biased though because I am a Voyager fan.

Lower Decks is growing on me. It's fun and I don't mind watching it to pass some time.

Discovery is solidly on the meh pile. :lol

I guess that's one of the many advantages of a VERY long-standing franchise with multiple branches . . . something for everyone :) (y)

Well the eps scored really highly on Trekbbs, which is the longest running Trek forum I'm aware of. But obviously it's not an easy thing to guage, and this insistence that you can't be a "true Star Trek fan" and enjoy the new shows is something I always find tiresome and idiotic anyway.
People love to hate.

Like I said previously, I applaud the fact the writers are doing all these weird and wonderful episodes. My mother is a huge TNG fan, and I finally convinced her to watch SNW yesterday. Only two episodes in, but it's put a smile on her face. Can't ask for better. Next up for her: The Expanse :lol

About 5 episodes into this and absolutely loving it. I’m not sold on Peck’s Spock but Anson Mount is just crushing it so hard, he’s brilliant. The writing is so far above the last few ST shows and it has a great balance between classic ST and modern ST. And it looks gorgeous, they have clearly spent money on this. I’m happily staggered that Paramount are still investing in this franchise and keeping it alive and fresh. I wish the same could be said of a lot of other franchises.

About 5 episodes into this and absolutely loving it. I’m not sold on Peck’s Spock but Anson Mount is just crushing it so hard, he’s brilliant. The writing is so far above the last few ST shows and it has a great balance between classic ST and modern ST. And it looks gorgeous, they have clearly spent money on this. I’m happily staggered that Paramount are still investing in this franchise and keeping it alive and fresh. I wish the same could be said of a lot of other franchises.

Season 1 or 2? If it's S01, the main character I couldn't accept (for the first 2 episodes anyways) was the lass playing Uhura, but she now SHINES in that role.

Quoting part of the post above by @e30ernest, but for SNW rather than Prodigy - "like almost every other Trek show out there" - I found the 1st couple of episodes of S01 to be a bit dodgy (in fact, bad enough that it made me stop watching for MONTHS, until folks here informed me it got a LOT better from S01E03 onwards).

Also, as many have stated here - they could probably have canned S01E08 without much complaint from viewers - but pretty much every other episode has been incredible.

For me, it's the best Trek since DS9 (even more so than Picard S03), and could end up rivaling DS9 if the quality continues.

I finally finished the season, overall I found it to be a mixed bag on the quality front. I don’t see it as an improvement over season 1 which I thought was fairly strong.

On the plus side, M’Benga was the main shining star this season IMO. Any episode that was centred around him I found to be a success. As a character, he seems to have more dimension and depth, Episode 8 was the highlight of the season for me and I like the background shared with Chapel.

I didn’t care for the crossover at all but didn’t mind the musical (Jess Bush rocked it). One is enough though for me.

At times this show can come off a little juvenile for a command setting compared to more realistic depictions in the legacy series’. Some of the dialogue is teen-like and just comes off as dumbed down. I always liked the more cerebral exchanges between characters in the legacy shows and the “techno-babble”.

At least this show manages to score some wins every so often unlike Discovery which I could not stand.

I was digging the finale, it’s crazy that we have to wait 2025 for part 2, brutal.

For me, it's the best Trek since DS9 (even more so than Picard S03), and could end up rivaling DS9 if the quality continues.

Bold statement my friend! I hope we get there one day because I miss that level of storytelling. I think they’re a ways away as it stands, hoping season 3 leads the charge.

At times this show can come off a little juvenile for a command setting compared to more realistic depictions in the legacy series’. Some of the dialogue is teen-like and just comes off as dumbed down. I always liked the more cerebral exchanges between characters in the legacy shows and the “techno-babble”.
Yeah that would be my biggest issue as well. They certainly know how to tell fun stories with these characters, but it kinda feels like that's their only mission statement with this show. And I really miss watching a professional group of Starfleet officers in action, who have serious conversations with each other and who take threats seriously. And who aren't constantly making wisecracks every 5 minutes to the point where it makes it hard to buy this as a real world anymore.

If there's a singular reason I don't consider this show canon with 70s/80s/90s/00s Trek its what you guys have just highlighted. The very much present day manner in which the characters talk to eachother.

I enjoy the show however so I'm not writing it off either - I just consider it a remake. Doesn't really matter what you change when you're doing a remake.

Last edited:
I have no problem considering SNW canon, and accepting this as just a modern interpretation of 60s Trek, but yeah I do wish the characters didn't act quite so casual and present day.

Of course I could easily live with all that if we could get more episodes like 8.

Yeah that would be my biggest issue as well. They certainly know how to tell fun stories with these characters, but it kinda feels like that's their only mission statement with this show. And I really miss watching a professional group of Starfleet officers in action, who have serious conversations with each other and who take threats seriously. And who aren't constantly making wisecracks every 5 minutes to the point where it makes it hard to buy this as a real world anymore.

Obviously every Captain & crew have their own personalities, and I guess I buy into this mob PARTLY for the same reason I enjoyed She-Hulk - it's refreshing, and has the right amount of humour to brighten my day when I want a nice bit of cheerful escapism. They balance it nicely with the "heavy stuff" which (shock horror!) I also love.

I hope it continues in the same vein. I enjoy this and the characters enough that I'll eagerly snap up all/most SNW-related EXO-6 releases, whereas I haven't (and won't) bother with anything from TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, the movies, Discovery, Lower Decks or Prodigy.

I haven't (and won't) bother with anything from TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, the movies, Discovery, Lower Decks or Prodigy.
Them be fighting words!

1693526376720.gif

I watched Season One, could just tolerate the way the crew behave to senior officers, with Season Two I watched the first episode only and gave up. Seeing the Doctor and Nurse beat up so many Klingons just seemed................. The casual way that people in this professional service speak to each other is just insane.

Will just stick with TOS, far superior in my opinion.

I had hoped this show might actually be normal Star Trek like we used to get but sadly not.

As for canon there is no way this in the same universe as TOS or TNG. I could not imagine Kirk, Picard, Sisko or Janeway tolerating the way this crew act, not to mention the original Captain Pike, he always seemed very formal.

Is there a regular mess hall in this series or does everyone just eat and hang out at the club? That is one thing I have found a bit odd is that they are all drinking and hanging out at a bar at the end of the day. The other shows seem a lot more strict.

I watched Season One, could just tolerate the way the crew behave to senior officers, with Season Two I watched the first episode only and gave up. Seeing the Doctor and Nurse beat up so many Klingons just seemed................. The casual way that people in this professional service speak to each other is just insane.

Will just stick with TOS, far superior in my opinion.

I had hoped this show might actually be normal Star Trek like we used to get but sadly not.

As for canon there is no way this in the same universe as TOS or TNG. I could not imagine Kirk, Picard, Sisko or Janeway tolerating the way this crew act, not to mention the original Captain Pike, he always seemed very formal.
The events in episode 1 (the extraordinary strength, stamina, and the ability to absorb punishment) are explained in episode 8, which IMO is the best episode of the season and carried a good plot. I would recommend you watch that one.

These newer interpretations of Star Trek are definitely different from what we were accustomed to under Roddenberry and Berman. I do think they are “dumbed down” which is a shame as the earlier shows always strived to deliver a thought provoking element or message which frankly made those episodes timeless.

We’ll never have Trek of the past but if they focus on making episodes like “A Quality of Mercy” and “Under the Cloak of War” it’s an interpretation that is more recognizable.

Is there a regular mess hall in this series or does everyone just eat and hang out at the club? That is one thing I have found a bit odd is that they are all drinking and hanging out at a bar at the end of the day. The other shows seem a lot more strict.

I think that club is their interpretation of the mess hall. The visual aesthetics of this show are beautiful, I’ll give them that. I’d hang out there!

I’m on episode 3 of S2. Does every Star Trek series have an obligatory modern day time travel episode in order to save budget?

As a Lower Decks fan I thought the crossover episode was pretty well done. Still not quite sure how time travel turned them from animated into live action though :lol

Back