Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in 2017!

Will it be on Netflix???? It's on a different paid service. I don't know how that all works.

What continuity will this series take place in? The original one or the JJ-verse? What era is it set? I had heard something about between Star Trek 6 and TNG? Can't we get this series to move FORWARD in time? Enterprise is a prequel. The JJ-verse is an alternate universe prequel. And setting it between the movies and TNG would make this a sequel/prequel depending on what your point of reference is.

I also heard this series is going to be an anthology instead of one set crew. Is that speculation or what? All I see is that dumb non-teaser teaser they've created.

Rumor is the "Lost Years" between STVI and TNG, yeah. But nothing's been set in stone as far as we know. CBS doesn't have rights to the JJ-verse, only the prime universe, so it's probably safe to say it's set there, unless they decide to do their OWN reboot (which would probably be waaaaay too confusing for most folks).

The teaser does seems to confirm - at least KINDA - that this is going to be an anthology show like you said...it says new CREWS not new crew. Just noticed that. It would be interesting if there was an overarching story that touches different time periods. Might get to see some cameos from previous Trek eras too in that case.

But yeah, CBS is keeping this one really close to the chest. We don't know anything at this point.

As to whether it shows up on Netflix, I think that's going to depend on how successful the show is vs. how successful this new All Access service is. If the show is popular, but the service is as a whole not profitable, I wouldn't be surprised to see it transition to one of the more established paid services. It's also possible that if it's struggling a bit, they'll pull the "Yup, it's on Netflix, but it's a season behind" kindof thing.

I really do worry if they're putting the nail in the coffin before the first episode with this All Access thing. How many people are willing to pay for yet another service, especially one that really has only ONE original show to start with? There's supposedly a Good Wife spinoff coming at some point, but Trek's the only one at the beginning. I'm willing to, but I'm a huge Trek fan. I already have Netflix that I use every day and has a ton of really good original programming...if I had to chose one, then kicking or screaming, I'd pick Netflix, I have no doubt. I'm sure others who love Hulu or Amazon would say the same.

Last edited:

Without knowing much about that channel, unless they add something really appealing like fairly new movies other channels don't have, or even a more extensive back catalog of old movies/TV shows than others, they better not charge more than $5 a month or so.

I’m curious about the show too but there is no way in hell that I’m going to pay for freakin CBS. I don’t really like streaming services to begin with, so I’ll wait til it’s on DVD and watch it then, I suppose.

Sadly, some streaming shows take forever to go on DVD. I’m still waiting for Daredevil season 1 to be on DVD. I actually have Netflix but not the streaming—just the DVD service.

I fought streaming for a long time too, Lu. But nowadays it's hard to avoid it, with so many great shows and back catalogs on there...and it's pretty cheap too. Honestly, if it wasn't for sports, I would probably ditch my regular Cable box by now.

It’s more the logistics of streaming for me at the moment. I have a long train commute and have a DVD player to watch Netflix rentals. I don’t have enough time when I’m actually home to watch much TV or streaming. Free WiFi is spotty on the train, so I couldn’t stream unless I got some kind of unlimited data plan on my phone which would be crazy expensive.

My wife and I had been occasionally signing up with Hulu for a month or so at a time for a couple of years, just to watch Moone Boy (great show, BTW!), and we’ll probably get Netflix streaming this summer for maybe a month to watch Kimmy Schmidt. I hope to squeeze in Daredevil then!

I'm not opposed to an anthology series. Covering multiple eras and having some overarching story that connected the crews and times would actually be kind of neat. I guess. It's not a deal breaker and it beats setting this inbetween the generations. The paid service is a deal breaker. I am a casual Trek fan. I will watch the pilot and hope it becomes available elsewhere.

I fought streaming for a long time too, Lu. But nowadays it's hard to avoid it, with so many great shows and back catalogs on there...and it's pretty cheap too. Honestly, if it wasn't for sports, I would probably ditch my regular Cable box by now.
I don't even need cable for sports. I have a digital receiver for the network channels and Fox, and during Football season I spring for Sling (streaming channel) for the ESPNs.

I don't even need cable for sports. I have a digital receiver for the network channels and Fox, and during Football season I spring for Sling (streaming channel) for the ESPNs.

Yeah...I'm a baseball and hockey fan. Local football just plays on the network channels, so that's fine. But if I want to watch my other sports, I need access to the various local sports cable outlets (which are different in every area, but mine would be MASN, MASN2, CSN-MA, and NBCSN).

Lu - totally get you. I know how annoying that commute can be without good streaming. Here we are a decade into the 21st Century and I STILL can't get a decent data signal between stations on the DC Metro. Ugh.

Not digging the Phase 2 concept by Ralph Mcquarrie, too many hard edges.
image.jpeg

Don't like the ship. Looks like a cross between a klingon battle cruiser and a federation ship.

Underwhelmed by the ship design. Pretty obvious someone went in and cribbed the Mcquarrie design but other than the saucer section it doesn't look like a Federation starship. The copperish color starts off badly and it just goes downhill from there. But will have to wait to learn more about the storyline. Could be some kind of a Federation-Klingon-(possibly) Romulan alliance to "discover" some new region of space, galaxy, parallel universe; or react to some threat, which is why the ship has a hybrid look. If it's something like that, it could end up being cool. I think they plan to make these anthology series, so each season might follow a different ship, crew and story arc. I do like that as opposed to following yet another crew for 4, 5, 6 seasons.

I created this from the video to give us a better look at the ship:
USS Discovery 001.jpg

I still don't like it.

EDIT:
Here's another angle:
USS Discovery 002.jpg

Yep, I still don't like it.

Last edited:

I don't like the ship at all personally. Never did like that concept.

R.I.P. "Star Trek: Discovery". We barely knew you.

the nacelles are really bad- i can deal with the rest of the ship...

Back