Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in 2017!

Cbs all access launches in jan of 17 i think. I give cbs credit for venturing out with something new. Usually network tv follows, not leads. This would be the first network subscription channel. But to tie this show to the launch of their subscrip deal sucks. And if they set it in the JJ universe you can forget it.

I always thought the section 31 stuff from ds9 was cool. The federation shows it's not so squeaky clean after all. Plus sci fi espionage is a gold mine imo.

I thought a lot of the stuff from DS9 was cool. I was very surprised to find myself liking it more than TNG. It was a lot better than I had expected it to be, though that pilot was tough to get through. :thud:

I was elated the other day when I heard the original CSI show had ended. I already knew that CSI New York and Miami were finished. Alas my joy was shortlived as I discovered one that escaped the cull - CSI cyber or something, with James Van Der Beek. So close!

The other one of course is NCIS. I think there's at least 3 of those ****ers.

My mother watches every single one. Over and over. :lol

At least the stories and characters are pretty good. I don't watch it though. I just watch a handful of shows and most aren't on the main networks.

Last edited:

I think the worst bit about the whole "buy this channel online" thing is that the implication is there that the show won't have enough of a fan base to get advertisers on a major channel. "We'd put this on CBS, but it's only you nerds who want it, and you're desperate enough to pay for it yourselves!" It's frustrating. :mad:
Sadly, I think there's some truth in that line of thinking. Enterprise wasn't a success, and we had a minor sci-fi hit with Battlestar Galactica, but otherwise, following TNG and DS9, I don't think there's been a reasonably popular sci-fi TV show. Firefly didn't even last a full season, Sarah Connor Chronicles didn't last, etc. Even with movies, geek comic franchises are ruling the earth right now, but that's not the more thoughtful, less mass-pleasing geek sci-fi. Even Star Trek at the movies has transformed into an action movie franchise.

I thought a lot of the stuff from DS9 was cool. I was very surprised to find myself liking it more than TNG. It was a lot better than I had expected it to be, though that pilot was tough to get through. :thud:
Same here. I never cared for DS9 when it first came out. And I never gave it much thought until a few years back. I started giving it more of a chance, and pretty soon I was totally hooked and watched the whole series. Definitely up there with TNG as among the best Star Trek ever made IMO.

Sadly, I think there's some truth in that line of thinking. Enterprise wasn't a success, and we had a minor sci-fi hit with Battlestar Galactica, but otherwise, following TNG and DS9, I don't think there's been a reasonably popular sci-fi TV show. Firefly didn't even last a full season, Sarah Connor Chronicles didn't last, etc. Even with movies, geek comic franchises are ruling the earth right now, but that's not the more thoughtful, less mass-pleasing geek sci-fi. Even Star Trek at the movies has transformed into an action movie franchise.

Because thinking hurts! :slap Where's all the 'splosions and chicks in their underwear, bro? :rock

yPd3ooC.gif

Deep Space Nine grew into, honestly, the best of them all. Story, setting, characters, it really trumped everything. It just started sluggish. It also didn't have any of those "iconic" characters that people think of when they think Trek, unfortunately, at least until Worf joined.

Deep Space Nine grew into, honestly, the best of them all. Story, setting, characters, it really trumped everything. It just started sluggish. It also didn't have any of those "iconic" characters that people think of when they think Trek, unfortunately, at least until Worf joined.

I've seen all the Star Trek series' apart from DS9 and Enterprise. I even liked Voyager. A lot. But, I tried to get into DS9 and couldn't. Now, years later, I really need to have another go at it. Even my girlfriend has seen them all and enjoyed them, and she's not a huge sci-fi fan.

It will be my new mission. Although, I'm currently going back through TOS. . .

DS9 was my least favorite. Not that it didn't have great episodes, but I always enjoyed starships out exploring as opposed to a space station sitting there in the middle of a political scene between Bajor and Cardassia. The Dominion war was really good and led to a lot more action, but I didn't really care for the series finale much either.

Of all the properties that should be talking about "connected universe" Trek should top the list. I would think it will take it cues from the new Trek movies as opposed to the old series, which could be refreshing as long as they don't change up things too much. I was not a fan of the Klingon redesign, and it could end up moving even further away from the 90s/2000s designs. Getting back to connected universe, however, they could easily do a Trek Series as the core, then a couple of spinoff limited 10- to 13-episode series that could focus on Klingons, Romulans, Andorians, Cadets, a Space Station, even an Earth-based series. I'm sure if the series is a hit CBS/Paramount will be mining it for all its worth.

DS9 was my least favorite. Not that it didn't have great episodes, but I always enjoyed starships out exploring as opposed to a space station sitting there in the middle of a political scene between Bajor and Cardassia. The Dominion war was really good and led to a lot more action, but I didn't really care for the series finale much either.

I'll give you that the series finale sucked. It tried to wrap up too much too quickly. I won't spoil it for our friends who haven't seen it. Honestly, I thought season 7 in general was a bit lacking...but that's pretty par for the course for Trek. All Good Things was amazing, but the rest of TNG season 7 was pretty meh.

I think DS9 is...just DIFFERENT from every other Trek series, and that's why it's so divisive. I agree that it's not exploring new worlds. But man, it relates today maybe even more than it did then. Rampant terrorism, fascist states...it's like a modern history course in a nutshell. And isn't that what Trek was about, really? Social commentary? DS9 has that in droves.

In it's totality ds9 was the best series. The dominion war was outstanding. I never thought they could rival the Borg but the dominion was just awesome.

Dumar had a great character arc I thought. On the other hand I wasn't overly fond of the direction Dukat went.

My mother watches every single one. Over and over. :lol

At least the stories and characters are pretty good. I don't watch it though. I just watch a handful of shows and most aren't on the main networks.

As does mine, over and over. I told her today that of all her shows I'd be most inclined to watch The Mentalist if I had to pick one. ''Criminal'' I believe was her word. :lol She likes Mentalist but she loves her NCIS's above all else.

It did start slow, yeah. Any time I've rewatched it I've tended to skip the first 2 or even 3 seasons (even though the Dominion started in season 3).

For me it got great with Worf coming in and the start of the new Klingon war.

Agreed. Damar really had an arc that had heart. Dukat was like the same jerk the entire time, only to completely change his character into....a jerk.

Dumar had a great character arc I thought. On the other hand I wasn't overly fond of the direction Dukat went.

I'm just the opposite. I tolerated the Dumar's thread but I loved how Dukat was a blind cardasian street begger who slept who the Kai.

I think the biggest strength of DS9 is the politics. But I love international relations (which is the primary form of politics explored in DS9), so when we see war, the impact of leaders with different skills, motivations, and personalities, shifting alliances affected by a galactic balance of power, diplomacy, spies and intrigue, insurgency and terrorism, the role that history plays (with the Klingons, Cardassians, Bajorans, humans, etc.) all done is such a thoughtful way, informed by real-life politics and history, I really get into it.

Dukat was a bit frustrating, because you would hate his guts as a viewer, then develop some sympathy for him, then hate his guts again. It's as if the writers enjoyed toying with the viewers. But in a sense, his arc really did mirror what you would see of some despicable political leaders in history. Guys like Hitler, Stalin and Mao were able to use their charisma and manipulative skills to garner support from people domestically.

As does mine, over and over. I told her today that of all her shows I'd be most inclined to watch The Mentalist if I had to pick one. ''Criminal'' I believe was her word. :lol She likes Mentalist but she loves her NCIS's above all else.
Must be a universal thing. My parents also both love NCIS, and also watch the Mentalist. Another one they really like is the new network Sherlock Holmes show. I can't stomach any of them.

They posted a teaser trailer, but I won't even bother to post it since there's nothing there. I will watch the first one on CBS, but after than I won't pay to see it. I'll have to wait till I can see it for free.

Back