SS SW Figure price increase Upset or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you upset by the recent SW figure price increase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"I can stop anytime I want!" :lol

It's possible that Sideshow is trying to reposition itself as a higher-end toy maker like Hot Toys or Medicom, but I'm not sure that's such as good idea. They fill a nice niche at the moment. And I personally would actually spend a lot more more buying $50-$60 figures than I would buying $130-$150 figures. People aren't going to be buying Bib Fortunas or Commander Prajis at that price point, which likely means that SS would have to concentrate only on the fan favorites, as the higher-priced companies have done. I think that would be a shame.

I'm upset.
The price is going up and I don't see the quality improving at the same rate.
Bespin Luke is a great figure, but there are no major improvements or design changes to warrant any increase (I'm not saying BL was more expensive, can't even remember how much he was!) in the price point.
The improvements I've seen in BL are what I was expecting from SST in the first place, i.e. better fitting clothing, softer boots, better QC on the paint apps...
For an increase in pricing I would expect a better body, more accessories, that kind of thing.

if the price increases, the subject most wanted from the public should follow. chewy, lando, c3p0, r2d2, vader, grevious...all are wanted by the collector yet we get 3 lukes, 2 leias, 2 hans. how about giving the peeps more of what they want? ss has already listened with the emporer/palpatine 2 pack. i'd like to see more of that.

Now you know that you don't speak for everyone don't you?

Personally I'd like to see more Lukes and Leias. I know they're working on the droids and Vader and I'm okay with that.

Id also wager the reason we probably won't see ANH Luke any time soon is because Bespin Luke was asked for more often than ANH Luke and we got him this year. I really wish people would give up on Chewie for now though as it's been stated numerous times its either all fur or nothing and so it will be a while away. Same with Grevious, and he would probably be a large ticket, very Jabba-esque. So while "the collector" may want it you also have to be patient.

Actually those were the 2 I'm thinking of. With all the ANH figures, we have to have farmboy Luke. And with the Jabba display we have to have slave Leia.

But also Hoth versions of both and maybe an Ewok village Leia...and then I'm done.

Well, maybe a Bespin dress Leia. But that's it.

Actually those were the 2 I'm thinking of. With all the ANH figures, we have to have farmboy Luke. And with the Jabba display we have to have slave Leia.

Agreed! :duff

And while I am just about Luked-out, I wouldn't mind if they announced Farmboy Luke tomorrow. He's absolutely essential. I want all of the "core 9" in 1/6 form. That list is:

Farmboy Luke
Darth Vader
Smuggler Han
Princess Leia
Old Obi-Wan
Chewbacca
R2-D2
C-3P0
Stormtrooper

I'd even consider the following in this category:

Tusken Raider
Jawa
Tarkin and/or Death Star Commander

I know it sounds crazy... but if the line continues long enough I'd buy a 1/6 figure for each of the vintage Kenners if they made them. And while I'm pretty sure I'll never see a Barada or Warock... I can dream :rolleyes:

I'd only be remotely interested in a Slave Leia if HT could develop a "rubber" torso and limbs as they did with their Rocky figures. An outfit like that is obliterated by exposed joints. I would sacrifice poseability for an esthetically pleasing figure.

That said, Slave Leia is far from one of my top choices as a figure.

The price doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm more pissed about spending $5 more each week to fill up on a tank of gas, than some small price increase on a action figure.

I dont care. I am paying $3.49 for gas, that pisses me off because I HAVE to have it.

Paying more for a toy doesnt bother me one bit.

EVILFACE said:
The price doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm more pissed about spending $5 more each week to fill up on a tank of gas, than some small price increase on a action figure.

:D :D :D :D

Bingo! I think some people feel they MUST have these. Which shows where they have their priorities at IMO.

I can't speak for everyone else, but that isn't how I feel at all.

Thats the way the world works, and I think we all know that, but it doesn't have to be something you accept silently, especially when it doesn't have to happen.

That's how I feel. If Sideshow wants to keep arbitrarily raising prices, so be it. I'll just drop out of the game. I'm just about at my pain threshold right now, and seeing a nearly 20% price increase within a six month period leads me to believe that they are testing the waters, trying to find out exactly where peoples' thresholds are.

Once my threshold is crossed, my only option is to cut back and/or stop collecting. But, that doesn't mean that I can't let Sideshow know why I'm doing so.

I am a little upset with the sudden price increase, especially with no apparent reason. I wouldn't mind so if SSC were to throw in more accessories, in fact that would be a most welcome move to me.

With the new price tag, I will definitely not be getting extra pieces of the same figure as I have done so before.

With troops building arriving next year, this will be a major concern.

Last edited:
Thank the gods for DC Direct - look at their $90 Joker! I'm just going to keep bringing that up. I don't think the price increase is "arbitrary". I outlined a number of possible/likely reasons in the other thread. The Joker increase seems arbitrary though.

Did I mention that DCD raised their prices on 13" figures by $20 in the course of 2 months?

Back