SS SW Figure price increase Upset or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you upset by the recent SW figure price increase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if Sideshow would take the time to explain (in detail) how these stark price increases within a line happen seemingly overnight it would go a LONG way toward making this topic go away.

Until then, the only facts we have to go on are these:

Bespin Luke: $54.99 | ANH Han: $64.99 That's an unseemly 18% increase in price that I would personally like to see justified.

Note: I still pre-ordered the figure, and most know that I'm not a "hater". I just refuse to be either naive or pragmatic about this stuff. As Brodie in MALLRATS once said, "I want answers!".

I think what bothers people the most is the perception of price gouging. This comes from a lack of understanding of what goes into a product development and the costs incurred at each phase. They obviously can't give specifics about how much licensing costs and actual dollar figures. They are a business and I'm sure there are companies that would love to take aim at undercutting them.
A short film, even crudely animated that shows the back and forth between licensor and creative teams, the steps to and from production facilities etc. What clearly hurts the rationale is when the SW prices have increased disproportionately to other lines. Every company that makes things figures has similar production costs, but often we don't see differences in quality. A photo sampling of Hasbro or Mattel clothing compared to SSC compared to HT. Its a difference between Doll clothes and actual miniatures.

The thing that bugs me the most is that when the first increase happened there was a guy at RS, who, very trollishly insisted the price would keep creeping up and up and up. Regardless of the justification, it irks me he was right that the price would go up significantly in a short period of time.

In the end, Sideshow produces nice figures for a reasonable price, reaching collectors who simply cannot or will not pay HT prices. I would hate to see that end.

I think there are a lot of people that don't complain about the price increase now but once the price hits the special spot where it is finally too much they will quit and then SSC will have to do something drastic.

I voted thjat I did not like the price increase. I can see incremntal increases over time, but this was a large leap. Luke Bespin was $54.99 and is an equally complex outfit as Han's.

I'm more bothered by the precedent this is setting, rather than this specific increase. If they will stick with this price point for a long period of time, then I'm more or less fine with it. If they keep steadily jacking up the prices, there's no way I'll be buying figures like Praji. I'll keep it to the ones I truly want and need.

I gave it that final option. I'm bothered by it, but not yet to the point where it would mean I have to discontinue collecting. I think that the quality continues to improve in small doses, and the price tends to reflect that, which is fine. But I'm still just a poor photojournalist (with a sweet valet parking side gig). :( If the upward trend continues, I'll first have to limit my purchases of this line, then, eventually, give it up altogether.

To sum it up: There's a reason that I don't collect Hot Toys figures, and it's not because they suck. It's because I can't afford to collect several of them. And, with toys like these, several of them is what I want. Just like when I was a kid. (You know. Yesterday. :rolleyes: :lol )

Mind you, I don't find this unacceptable. Not everyone can afford these things, and I accept that I may soon be a part of the crowd that can't. I'm just sayin'.

I think there are a lot of people that don't complain about the price increase now but once the price hits the special spot where it is finally too much they will quit and then SSC will have to do something drastic.

Thanks Captain Obvious. :lecture :lol

;)

Mind you, I don't find this unacceptable. Not everyone can afford these things, and I accept that I may soon be a part of the crowd that can't. I'm just sayin'.

Thats the way the world works, and I think we all know that, but it doesn't have to be something you accept silently, especially when it doesn't have to happen.

If the prices are going up for quality purposes, I think eventually SSC needs to evaluate whether they want to be the highpriced superquality provider or a good midrange provider.

If they want to become the high quality/high price provider then hopefully someone can fill in at the $40-$50 range because thats where I want to be.

I like the occassional $100+ figure but I can't make a big collection out of them like I could at $50.

I dont care. I am paying $3.49 for gas, that pisses me off because I HAVE to have it.

Paying more for a toy doesnt bother me one bit.

I dont care. I am paying $3.49 for gas, that pisses me off because I HAVE to have it.

Paying more for a toy doesnt bother me one bit.

Bingo! I think some people feel they MUST have these. Which shows where they have their priorities at IMO.

Bingo! I think some people feel they MUST have these. Which shows where they have their priorities at IMO.

You don't consider yourself in there? I mean, if anything, you are even more on that extreme "MUST HAVE" priority because you are not complaining about the additional price.

You don't consider yourself in there? I mean, if anything, you are even more on that extreme "MUST HAVE" priority because you are not complaining about the additional price.

No, I don't. I don't HAVE to have them. I choose to have/buy them at their current or possibly future prices, but I can drop them whenever I choose.

Back