SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine appart a couple of times with no breakage, however that was within 6 months of getting it, but it's been together ever since, not sure I'd risk it again now I've read this.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding ED-209.

I just bought one off of a great seller here on the boards. I was wondering if there are any ways to reduce the probability that the rubber on his head will deteriorate.

I want ED-209 there guarding me when I'm on my death bed.

:blissysmi this is the closest emoticon I could find to represent death. I hope I don't go that way.

we're still trying to figure out how to do that. no response from hot toys on this issue. I'm still hoping to build a screen for him by getting something from home depot or something, but haven't had time to tackle that project yet.

Well, you guys can cast the rubber screen in silicone.
Then take off the one provided by hot toys and replace it with the cast. This way, the screen will remain flexible, but won't deteriorate.

I would try this myself, but of course I don't have one.

we're still trying to figure out how to do that. no response from hot toys on this issue. I'm still hoping to build a screen for him by getting something from home depot or something, but haven't had time to tackle that project yet.

That's an awesome idea. If you figure out a good material that would work for ED could you let me know? Maybe I'll stop by the Home Depot too and take a look around.

I wonder why they made the screen with rubber when it could have easily been made from plastic in the first place.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't already jumped on this and offered resin castings on ebay. They would sell. I'd buy that for a dollar. :D

I'm really surprised someone hasn't already jumped on this and offered resin castings on ebay. They would sell. I'd buy that for a dollar. :D

Great line, but this is my favorite part:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/tjEdLuqK1RQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/tjEdLuqK1RQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DON'T TOUCH ME MAN!!!!!!!

I've got a ed-209 on ebay for parts if anyone is interested under user name onehothemi :) cheers

Sorry if someone mentioned this - I read the first 10 pages & people were mentioning dry air as a possible cause.

I believe this problem has been caused by the contact adhesive that secures the mesh reacting with the rubberised product it has been made from. A lot of glues can be quite corrosive when put in contact with polymer based compounds - instantly or very slowly, as looks like the case here.

Although, this could just be a bad batch of the glue that may only effect a number of units. (the glue manufacturers added too much of component "A" into the mix. The most likely cause.

Rubberised compounds only have a limited lifespan, that lifespan will be reduced by a number of things, stress (expansion & contraction in the form of stretching), UV light, heat, cold, etc.

I fear these "rubber" components will not stand the test of time... 5, 10, 20, 30 years? We will see, I guess.

I checked my battle damaged ed209 today,
it's been up in my loft for months,
and it's still fine with no rubber rot. :chew

In my opinion we have this problem coz of the permanent "stress" condition of the rubber. It's outstretched for an half of inch to cover all the head. That's why it's starting to corrupt, epitaxially in the damp climate (near the sea or ocean).

Here is my milliput\acoustic-fabric custom replacement.
Yap, that's fabric now, and it won't corrupt never-ever.

In my opinion we have this problem coz of the permanent "stress" condition of the rubber. It's outstretched for an half of inch to cover all the head. That's why it's starting to corrupt, epitaxially in the damp climate (near the sea or ocean).

Here is my milliput\acoustic-fabric custom replacement.
Yap, that's fabric now, and it won't corrupt never-ever.

That looks really good. Even better than the original. You should make more and sell them here. It would be a hot item since a lot of people were getting the "torn rubber" issue with their EDs. And as time goes on it's only gonna get worse. I think I shoudl go check mine. :lol

Yes, fantastic mod V-Raptor.

Looks like the perfect remedy.

Back