SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That does indeed look better than the rubber. Am I right to observe that all those angles on the dome (which I'm not sure were ever accurate) are gone or at least reduced?

Well, I've tried to keep the original shape when I was making the base for the replacement. But when the fabric was stretched on some of the angles were gone indeed, but for me it's not the big problem. But it could be for someone's else's opinion.

I will be happy to make it for sale (I'm even pretty sure that the second dome will be better that mine), but I'm non the recaster and I have no idea where I could multiply them. Also, the PayPal doesn't allow to send money to Russia yet :( And it's really takes me down.

Just few more pic:

Last edited:
It looks great, I like that I can't see those angles.

The dome on my ED hasn't deteriorated any more than it had when I first thought I could see negative signs quite a while ago. However it is dusty and as a result looks more grey than I'd like right now. Would it be safe to give it a rinse?

Also I wonder what will become of the other rubber parts on the figure, remember its not just the dome.

It looks great, I like that I can't see those angles.

The dome on my ED hasn't deteriorated any more than it had when I first thought I could see negative signs quite a while ago. However it is dusty and as a result looks more grey than I'd like right now. Would it be safe to give it a rinse?

Also I wonder what will become of the other rubber parts on the figure, remember its not just the dome.

I actually used one of those roller brushes for clothes to pick up the dust on my dome. So far it hasn't damaged my ED yet.

Thanks, mates! I think that my mod is not bad at all :D

Dev, I think that nothing will happen to them for a long-long time, coz, as I said before, the dome is under-glued in the permanently outstretched condition and that's the cause of our problem. Other parts are just in there, without any "stressing" stretching.

Last edited:
wow! v-raptor could you share to us how you did the dome? a step-by-step maybe? :D

Yap, I've filmed all work in progress and will share this video with you guys on the youtube. But I need time to film one more part (about under-gluing the fabric) and to take all this vid into 1 piece. But, yet, the instruction will be available, just check out this thread from time to time.

Necessity is the mother of invention. You rock V-raptor! My ED-209 is still in top condition (still unassembled in box), but one day, I might need to replace that rubber dome also... .Then your invention will come in very handy. Keep on rocking!

Great solution to this problem... luckily mine is still w/o damage, but it does seem like its only a matter of time.

If you go into production I'd be interested in buying one just to have as an eventual back-up. I'm sure someone here would be able to help out with casting duties if you weren't able to do it yourself.

i also started to see this problem after having it displayed for bout a year or so. decided it was best to box it up and sell it while the value was still up and before it deteriorated any further. wish sideshow would release a 1/4 scale version of this guy.

Thanks for your comments, mates! I guess that if I'll run with it again - I will copy the dome's replacement plate, so I will be able to multiply them. Few friends of mine are planing to buy ED-209 with corrupt domes and force me to go through this mod one more time. :D

And here is the video that I've promised to share with you:

V-Raptor's step-by-step guide how to make
the new fabric dome for your HT Ed-209

>> PART 1 << & >> PART 2 <<

Hope that it will be useful. Sorry for the low quality, but the video is very long and I would spend Forever if downloading it there in my common hi-quality. Any way, it should be enough to get how to make it.

You welcome. ;)

Last edited:
Iliya, those videos are awesome. You have some serious talent, and are really good with explaining exactly what you did. Maybe one day I'll try this mod. Looks amazing.

Great tutorial man, you explained everything well in great detail and have a soothing/calming voice, in a non gay way i mean. :D

This is fantastic. If I ever reaquire an ED-209 and someone in the states has successfully done this mod, I'd be very interested in sending it off for this fix. I'm sure I'd screw it up if I tried to do it.

i also started to see this problem after having it displayed for bout a year or so. decided it was best to box it up and sell it while the value was still up and before it deteriorated any further. wish sideshow would release a 1/4 scale version of this guy.

OMG that would be SIIIIIICK!!! And it would be the perfect size too!

Sorry to hear that there is another failure on the HT products.
Maybe, we could send these kind off problems over to HT.
So they can do something about there flaws in future projects.
I dont own the Ed-209
But luckely for those who do,
there are guys like V-raptor who got the perfect solution for this kind off trouble.:banana

Back