SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's worth a shot and we've got nothing to lose anyway. If only every ED-209 owner post photos of their deteriorating dome the possibilities are:

1. HT thinking it would affect their future sales and avoid negative feedback they issue a dome fix. I wouldn't mind paying for a new plastic dome if they offered one.
2. HT would think twice about using rubber or use rubber that last longer and is durable.
3. Ignore us.

Hello,
i'm getting a damaged dome ED209 from a friend and been wondering if someone is willing to sell me a home made replacement dome?
V-Raptor maybe?
Thanks

It's worth a shot and we've got nothing to lose anyway. If only every ED-209 owner post photos of their deteriorating dome the possibilities are:

1. HT thinking it would affect their future sales and avoid negative feedback they issue a dome fix. I wouldn't mind paying for a new plastic dome if they offered one.
2. HT would think twice about using rubber or use rubber that last longer and is durable.
3. Ignore us.

I would sadly think that the third would be the most likely. This is an old product and unlike DX Batman it has no affect on their sales. The DC Direct batch hadn't even shipped at the time of deterating rubber on the DX 02 so that was a lot of pre-orders lost if they did not address that issue. HT seem to be going the plastic/PVC route now so they are listening at leat.

If anyone is looking for an ED-209 Battle Damaged version with some dome deterioration, Im selling mine for $120 shipped. Loose.

3. Ignore us.

The problem wasn't that they used rubber but the rubber piece was too small and it was stretched to much then glued into place. If the rubber piece was larger and not have as much stress on it, it would have been fine.

It should have been cast on the plastic...period. HT just tried to cut a corner and get a better effect with the rubber. I recently coated my ED with silicone spray to help protect it. The rubber is not as bad on mine as others, but it's definitely gotten worse in the last 6 months. I'll post pics. Looks like it moistened the rubber and also protected it, but only time will tell.

I think it's also interesting to note that this isn't consistent with ALL EDs, some have not had any problems. I think we should put together a list of all the owners on here that 1.) Have an ED-209 (either version) 2.) Have one that is deteriorating 3.) Accompanying pic

Finally--acoustic fabric over a mold looks like the way to go in the end. The problem is you hafta remove the rubber, which I guess I'd only be willing to do if it got horrible. But if that's the best option, I'd be down for one in the future.

Well, here are some progress shots on attempt number one for a home made dome replacement. The fabric is not permanently attached to the dome yet so it is a little bunched along the front and the dome is just sitting loose on top of ED for now. The final version will have to be attached with a couple spots of rubber cement or something similar. I am about 90% happy with this dome. It is obviously a huge improvement over the deteriorating rubber though! I slightly over sanded the edges so it is about 1/8" off and I noticed that I need to sand more off of the thickness of the points on top of the dome so it looks more flush to the body with the fabric on it. Also, I am not happy with the lack of sharper points of the dome so it doesn't match up with the cut out for the dome on the body.

I will probably give it another attempt but look forward to everyone's comments/criticisms.

p1040297.jpg

p1040300v.jpg

p1040303f.jpg

Here is a link to a rebuild custom job of HT ED 209 by Keith from UK.
https://robocoparchive.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1848&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture014-2.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture016-2.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture018-2.jpg

The work he's doing to make a screen accurate model is awesome.
I really like the resin dome idea.
The fabric option is nice but there's the fitting and dust.
Also a recast would easier to produe multiple dome fast.

I'm sure with all the talents among this forum someone could help us with a recast of the dome.
I'm putting a thread for it.

Last edited:
I contacted him in the past and he is not offering casts of his dome which is why I made my own.

Bummer that isn't offered... I'd buy one just to have as a back up.

And AWESOME work Natrix!!! That is looking better than the original... not sure why HT chose rubber on the dome, seems like a wtf move.

I used V-Raptors videos from earlier in the thread as a starting point. I did a few things differently but that is the basic tutorial.

I might be willing to offer up making some replacement domes if there is enough interest but since each one would be made individually it would be very time consuming for me. I would not offer them up until I am done working on mine and happy with it.

Back