SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for you comment, Neehar, bro, and I'm very glad if you really thinking so. Also, will be awesome if my video could really be useful for someone who decided to make this mod and fix awful HotToys disaster with ED's rubber dome. :D

Two friend of mine already would like to buy ED's, so seems to me that it's not my first dome, LOL! XD

and have a soothing/calming voice, in a non gay way i mean.
Thanks for your comment Valfar and for your... khm... complement. :D Meanwhile, the best gay\gay joke that I can remember is from Mel Brooks' "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" when the Took thought that the wood-robbers are gay, but they was just gay, in it's "merry" meaning. :D Yap... Mel Brooks is a freaking genius of the comedy! :D

Boba Ben, I've just checked out y bank and find out that I can receive money, not via PayPal, but on my own bill. So, I think, that I will make the cast of this dome when will make it for my friend. So there is many chances that I will sell them if someone need. But it wont be cheap, there's only the materials for 40$ per one dome (acoustic fabric is pretty expensive). :( without my work billing.

EndIessRAlN 1/4 scale ED209 ya say, heh? OMG... :craving.gif:

D-CHAOS, thanks, mate! The 1\6 scale - is for customs, I think. It's very flexible and there is so much elements undone there. Only few 1\6 scale figures are perfect 100% on my memory, only few of them.

Climate control will do very little to prolong the life of rubber. It will deteriorate in time. Nothing you can do to stop it.

Sean

Since it was a rather humid day and I was bored, I started on making a replacement dome since I was tired of looking at the deteriorating rubber. I had been planning on doing this for awhile but kept putting it off.

Here is how far mine had deteriorated since I started this thread:

p1040184.jpg

Here is my first attempt at a replacement dome. I am not 100% happy with the first try as it is just a little too thick and there are some gaps around the sides where I trimmed too much off. I used a rolling pin to try and get an even thickness on the dome. I still need the fabric to cover it with which might help cover a little bit of the gaps. I will probably try it again to try get a better result.

p1040293.jpg

Why did they make that part rubber anyway? Couldn't they have just made it plastic?

I wish it was made of metal, but alas it was not. I wouldn't have sold mine if I wasn't constantly worrying about it peeling and not having the skills to fix it.

Climate control will do very little to prolong the life of rubber. It will deteriorate in time. Nothing you can do to stop it.

Sean

Not true, rubber can last VERY long in a good environment (humid/cold), ever heard of boglins (mine are still good)?

We will deteriorate in time aswell, doesn't mean you can't take precautions to last longer.

I can't believe that Hot Toys, to this day, has never addressed this nor have they ever offered a replacement dome solution for everyone who purchased this. Even if it was a nominal fee plus shipping for a resin-casted replacement dome.

Goes to show the effect of the environment. I'm in Ireland and the biggest problem on mine so far is dust making the dome look more grey than black. I mean it did start slightly peeling away from the borders in some areas and I just glued it back. Haven't noticed any further changes.

You know after looking at your problem I realize what the black material looks like. My daughter picked up a pair of Converse high top black canvas boots which would be a perfect replacement for the black rubber.
Just cut and glue in place.

The stuff reminds me of canvas like the old tennis shoes had that were made in the 60's.

Since it was a rather humid day and I was bored, I started on making a replacement dome since I was tired of looking at the deteriorating rubber. I had been planning on doing this for awhile but kept putting it off.

Here is how far mine had deteriorated since I started this thread:

p1040184.jpg

Here is my first attempt at a replacement dome. I am not 100% happy with the first try as it is just a little too thick and there are some gaps around the sides where I trimmed too much off. I used a rolling pin to try and get an even thickness on the dome. I still need the fabric to cover it with which might help cover a little bit of the gaps. I will probably try it again to try get a better result.

p1040293.jpg

Maybe we could get HT to issue a replacement dome if we could post it on their facebook page. If there were a lot of people asking for it I think HT would listen.

Thats a great job so far, Natrix. Once you've got the fabric perhaps using that fabric bonding glue so it sticks evenly to the dome? giving it the look as if it came from the factory.

Maybe we could get HT to issue a replacement dome if we could post it on their facebook page. If there were a lot of people asking for it I think HT would listen.

You sure they wouldn't just pull the excuse thats already on their customer service page and if not that just ignore?

Product that was released for more than ONE year will NOT be accepted. Replacement of any item is subject to its availability.

Look how hard it was to get replacements for the Batman DX bodies and it wasn't even 4 months old. Granted they did it and I'm thankful but what a job it was trying to get through.

Last edited:
Back