Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont really care if Sideshows 3PO isnt 100% perfect because he isnt really even a character that I like honestly. Im jumping on WL for this since I can basically get it for nothing thanks to RP and a code I have. I doubt I would be willing to pay for whatever HT tries to charge since I dont even like the character. But R2 is looking a little lonely.

Haha I understand that, however I actually do like him enough. He?s not a top 5 or even 10 but he?s still a character I like. Having gone through multiple collection downsizes over the years, I no longer have the desire to get any character I don?t like just for the sake of the franchise it?s in. The reason I?m coming around to SS versions lately is that I?ve been really liking and pleasantly surprised by the few items I?ve picked up recently (granted for below retail) but to me, with a few mods, they?ve been good enough for my collection.

Haha I understand that, however I actually do like him enough. He?s not a top 5 or even 10 but he?s still a character I like. Having gone through multiple collection downsizes over the years, I no longer have the desire to get any character I don?t like just for the sake of the franchise it?s in. The reason I?m coming around to SS versions lately is that I?ve been really liking and pleasantly surprised by the few items I?ve picked up recently (granted for below retail) but to me, with a few mods, they?ve been good enough for my collection.

Whether you like 3PO or not, he's a bit like Luke X-wing - adds much-needed color and brightness to any SW 1/6 display. He's so unique looking and eye-catching.

It never even crossed my mind until the age of internet forums that anyone could not like C-3P0. It's so weird to me as 3P0 is just part of the gang, he's like family, it just isn't the same without him. This is OT 3P0 of course, I can totally understand not liking PT C-3P0.

It never even crossed my mind until the age of internet forums that anyone could not like C-3P0. It's so weird to me as 3P0 is just part of the gang, he's like family, it just isn't the same without him. This is OT 3P0 of course, I can totally understand not liking PT C-3P0.

He is that one friend in the group that nobody actually likes, but he is just always there anyway.

3PO and R2 were my favourite characters as a kid. I never wondered why and I'm not sure I want to start.

Whether you like 3PO or not, he's a bit like Luke X-wing - adds much-needed color and brightness to any SW 1/6 display. He's so unique looking and eye-catching.

Haha I totally understand that feeling, but I guess I?m just wired differently now. Old me for sure felt that way: ?gotta have it for the collection to be complete!? From Nolan Bats, Sideshow SW, LOTR etc just all the franchises I liked I had to get every character developed. But now I only get characters I actually like. I don?t take pics or show off my collection to anyone, so no reason for me to go out of my way and spend money to get a character I don?t even like. For awhile I felt like I HAD to have Boba Fett, but I never liked him even as a kid. 3PO on the other hand, I actually got sad in ROS when he was taking one for the team and saying his goodbye to everyone. We all like what we like and collect the way we do for various reasons which is part of what makes this hobby so great. Lots of diversity.

3PO and R2 were my favourite characters as a kid. I never wondered why and I'm not sure I want to start.

I probably can't quite remember with accuracy now how I reacted to Star Wars as a kid, but I distinctly recall Princess Leia was my second on-screen crush; I must've liked 3PO and R2 best though, because they were *robots* and that was super cool.

I can't say 3PO was ever a favorite character of mine, but of course I've always loved the design and grown to become even more impressed by Daniel's performance in the costume and the cool and unique way he moved in it.

The thing that made 3PO great for me was just his functionality. Being an interpreter and bridging the gap between Jawa, other droids, Jabba, Ewoks and the humans made the galaxy so much larger.

Sure K2 is a cooler modern example of a droid, but mostly just for the sake of being a droid.

Since the OT, we've barely seen any other droid provide that level of interpreter functionality that 3PO did. The result is everyone just happens to speak English (DO, Ello Asty, Nute Gunray, and plenty of other PT/ST characters) or magically understands aliens (Rey-Chewy). There should be more 3POs and use of subtitles for Greedo-like characters, IMO. Mando sort of went for this with the sign language but an interpreter might still be preferable (if he can get over his droid hatred).

But I think what Tali was getting at is that 3PO just looks aesthetically great on the shelf, cause he's this brilliant gold robot amid a bunch of drab Star Wars browns and blacks and whites. I have the Tama so he's extra shiny, but the character really does stand out the way X-Wing Luke, Royal Guard, and Boba Fett (to a degree) do.

Yeah my Tama 3PO is still probably in the Top 3 of the 50 or so SW figures I own, and looks absolutely amazing in the collection. I was originally planning to weather him up, but never had the heart to mess with it and I'm glad now that I didn't.

Maybe you felt like being made to suffer was your lot in life.:dunno

That's a pretty decent appraisal. I was also a fan of Marvin the Paranoid Android and Bomb #20.

I probably can't quite remember with accuracy now how I reacted to Star Wars as a kid, but I distinctly recall Princess Leia was my second on-screen crush; I must've liked 3PO and R2 best though, because they were *robots* and that was super cool.

I wanted Princess Leia for a wet nurse

Re: Sideshow 1/6 C-3

But I think what Tali was getting at is that 3PO just looks aesthetically great on the shelf, cause he's this brilliant gold robot amid a bunch of drab Star Wars browns and blacks and whites. I have the Tama so he's extra shiny, but the character really does stand out the way X-Wing Luke, Royal Guard, and Boba Fett (to a degree) do.

Yeah, this is why a lot of the reason I like my Chris Reeve Superman. The bright red, blue and yellow costume really stands out next to the monochrome colours of my other figures .

Did anyone have problem with his eyes not working properly, even with fresh batteries?

Yeah, my light-up eyes stopped working after a while on my first SSC 3PO (I bought a second one for super cheap.) It's a pity because the figure doesn't really look as good without the eyes lit up.

The Tama 3PO looks almost as good with eyes unlit as it does with them lit, but the SSC 3PO isn't like that.

My IG-88 light-up feature also seems to be fading. It still works but seems to be having a mechanical problem where it doesn't fully light up even with new batteries.

Mine was okay, but I really hated the design of the battery compartment.

Is yours not working anymore? Or is it a new figure that was DOA?

Yeah good luck trying to change the batteries - the necks on mine were so tight you really had to use a lot of force to pull it out, onto a joint area that's quite delicate (where head meets neck.) Really dumb design, like many electronic features on SSC products (Probe droid another good example.)

I tested it once and removed the batteries but have never tried it again. Did the light just die out over time?

I typically never use the light up features so I can't speak to their longevity, but they never seemed particularly robust.

And you're absolutely right about bad designs for electronics from Sideshow. Probe Droid is bad but C-3PO is next level bad. I never want to touch that battery compartment again.

Back