Sideshow / Arsham Studio: Star Wars - C-3PO / R2-D2 / Han Solo in Carbonite - Crystallized Relic Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing that stood out to me was the CEO describing himself as a 'devotee' of this designer - Odd hyperbole for such an underwhelming release.

I get the sense that the vast majority of the collecting community is mostly interested in screen accuracy when it comes to statues and such. I feel that pieces such as these, the Mythos line from Sideshow, the metallic Hot Toys Storm Troopers/Neon Iron Man, etc., they are only appealing to a relatively small subset of collectors who enjoy artist's takes on the original. So I really don't think something like this is supposed to appeal to the masses; I think it's for a small niche market. I'm one of those niche collectors who does see something like this and appreciate the oddness of it, the fact that it's not 'correct', or screen accurate, etc. One of my favorite Alien statues to date is the Sideshow Mythos Alien Warrior, painted in brown tones, with hands for feet, an oddly shaped head, short back tubes, and extra set of arms, etc. I like the Midas (gold) Mark VI repaint, etc. Maybe I'll pick this up and stick it in an acrylic case, just for something different to look at, kind of thing. But I think trying to "make sense" of it or make it somehow fit isn't the right way to approach this. I think it's merely supposed to be appreciated for a unique artist's interpretation of the original.

I get the sense that the vast majority of the collecting community is mostly interested in screen accuracy when it comes to statues and such. I feel that pieces such as these, the Mythos line from Sideshow, the metallic Hot Toys Storm Troopers/Neon Iron Man, etc., they are only appealing to a relatively small subset of collectors who enjoy artist's takes on the original. So I really don't think something like this is supposed to appeal to the masses; I think it's for a small niche market. I'm one of those niche collectors who does see something like this and appreciate the oddness of it, the fact that it's not 'correct', or screen accurate, etc. One of my favorite Alien statues to date is the Sideshow Mythos Alien Warrior, painted in brown tones, with hands for feet, an oddly shaped head, short back tubes, and extra set of arms, etc. I like the Midas (gold) Mark VI repaint, etc. Maybe I'll pick this up and stick it in an acrylic case, just for something different to look at, kind of thing. But I think trying to "make sense" of it or make it somehow fit isn't the right way to approach this. I think it's merely supposed to be appreciated for a unique artist's interpretation of the original.
I agree, it's trying to cater for the discerning collectors who want high brow art from a real artist. However, it's neither priced high enough for that, nor made of expensive enough materials, nor unique and interesting enough to warrant a purchase from most of us. We just want realistic interpretations, as accurate as possible, not some mass produced half realistic, half abstract art

LOL...when I said I don't get it, I meant that I don't get the appeal. I know what they were supposed to represent...I just don't understand the tie-in to Star Wars. Feels very forced.
To me it feels like "we are out of ideas, so we are going to do something really simple we don't have to paint, and milk that license". Don't remember who did the all white statue of Wonder Woman but it feels like that.

I finally get it - it has to be April 1st surely? Look at the name of the studio...

Ars Ham!

They are supposed to look like ancient stone carvings with a bit of damage.
They look like being made of chalk, with some chalk noodles inside. Real ancient stone carvings with damages look different. Kudos for those who like them, but they are not for me.

Holding out for the next wave of these, I definitely need me a Vader and stormtrooper. I’m a really big fan of Arshams artworks

I'll probably pick up the 3PO as well. And definitely a Stormtrooper. Beyond those two, I'm not sure what else I'd be interested in.

I'll probably pick up the 3PO as well. And definitely a Stormtrooper. Beyond those two, I'm not sure what else I'd be interested in.
I’ll just stick with Vader and a stormtrooper but we’ll see if I break when I see a boba fett too 😂

IMG_3310.jpeg

Some quick shots of this piece, with Sano Alien and Prime 1 Alien 3 bust for reference.

Attachments

• HipstamaticPhoto-724552104.588898.jpeg
    HipstamaticPhoto-724552104.588898.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-724559996.797567.jpeg
    HipstamaticPhoto-724559996.797567.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-724560008.913637.jpeg
    HipstamaticPhoto-724560008.913637.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-724560013.296802.jpeg
    HipstamaticPhoto-724560013.296802.jpeg