Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s crazy to me that Hot Toys have released so many Star Wars characters including two R2 figures, but have yet to make 3PO. Hopefully he’s on the way soon.

I've given up hope that HT will even do a 3PO. They teased several different versions in the past but still no PO yet. Personally I just don't get it. HT seems to have the time to pump out 50 billion versions of Ironman(dicast and plastic) but can't give us one f'ing 3PO. I mean WTF Hot Toys! He is literally the last of the main characters and they still haven't given us one. :mad::gah::impatient:

I've given up hope that HT will even do a 3PO. They teased several different versions in the past but still no PO yet. Personally I just don't get it. HT seems to have the time to pump out 50 billion versions of Ironman(dicast and plastic) but can't give us one f'ing 3PO. I mean WTF Hot Toys! He is literally the last of the main characters and they still haven't given us one. :mad::gah::impatient:
Especially because 3P0 and R2 are the only characters in all 9 main movies!

3PO is a cool design and one half of an iconic duo but I do think he's further down the list for many collectors. And maybe that's why HT hasn't taken the plunge with a PO. They must have spent a ton of money on that TFA 3PO proto (and it looked like they did a new headsculpt for the PT version they previewed) but maybe actually manufacturing was too expensive of a gamble.

There's this idea - that Howard himself mentioned - that they use previews to gauge excitement/interest (by what metric I have no idea) and myabe both 3POs they showed just didn't move the needle.

It probably doesn't help that Sideshow's version - most of which (I'm not a fan of the face or the hand size) is really very acurate and well done - is still available for sale years later. It's technically a re-release (ie the earlier release "sold out",) but there were rumors that Sideshow were doing batches of figs as needed rather than one huge run that then sold out for good.

One final point - the TFA version most want does have some ST-specific aspects that don't make it quite a perfect match to an OT 3PO, other than minor suit differences the main one the chunkier proportions of the torso, where the ST suit was made slightly more chunky for a heavier Daniels. And HT matched that a bit too much imo.

Yeah, I can see him being lower on the totem pole for some collectors but that being said, R2 would also be there and HT still made two of those. Not really sure why Howard chose either of those two renditions of 3PO over the ANH version but they could've at least released the TFA version of 3PO, like they did R2. At least they were going to give you a swap out gold arm to replace the red one.

Yeah, I can see him being lower on the totem pole for some collectors but that being said, R2 would also be there and HT still made two of those. Not really sure why Howard chose either of those two renditions of 3PO over the ANH version but they could've at least released the TFA version of 3PO, like they did R2. At least they were going to give you a swap out gold arm to replace the red one.

One major question that's going to come up IF the 3PO TFA version does go up for PO soon.... should you wait for the "inevitable" HT OT version of 3PO? I mean an ANH version would be a must-have.

It's a bit like the HT Mando Speeder Bike. Just like the HT TFA 3PO, the HT Mando bike is about 90% similar to the OT version but has enough minor differences that it might not be worth HT's effort to make a ROTJ version, especially with Sideshow's OT bike still available (just as the Sideshow OT 3PO is also still available.)

So do spend $250+ on a TFA 3PO - with the slight differences - or wait in hope of a HT ANH version PO less than a year later?

One major question that's going to come up IF the 3PO TFA version does go up for PO soon.... should you wait for the "inevitable" HT OT version of 3PO? I mean an ANH version would be a must-have.

It's a bit like the HT Mando Speeder Bike. Just like the HT TFA 3PO, the HT Mando bike is about 90% similar to the OT version but has enough minor differences that it might not be worth HT's effort to make a ROTJ version, especially with Sideshow's OT bike still available (just as the Sideshow OT 3PO is also still available.)

So do spend $250+ on a TFA 3PO - with the slight differences - or wait in hope of a HT ANH version PO less than a year later?

Honestly I've been tossing around the idea of just diving into the deep end and buying a Tomashii Nations Chogokin 3PO. I just don't care for the SSC 3PO and I highly doubt HT will preview him on Monday, so it's either continue waiting, as usual, for HT to PO hi or just buy the Chogokin one.

No way they go with TFA version. It'll be generic/OT. That said they might take the TFA version that was shown, not include the red arm, and just call it a generic 3PO. Maybe that's what you mean.

Agreed. Even though a TFA C-3PO was shown, I highly doubt they’ll go back and actually make it a TFA version given the way interest in the ST waned with each subsequent film. It’s more likely they take that body and give it a repaint to turn it into a generic 3PO or make it specific to an OT film. Either ANH or ESB I’d say.

Then again the last time we saw a 3PO on display wasn’t it a version from Attack of the Clones? No idea why they’d start with that version but weirder things have happened. I have to think 3PO will sell to Star Wars collectors, especially those of us who lean more towards the Original Trilogy. Sideshow’s figure is probably sitting because it’s not that great. It does the job for now but he’ll be going away after the Hot a Toys version comes out. The Hot Toys R2 blows the Sideshow version out of the water by a long shot.

No way they go with TFA version. It'll be generic/OT. That said they might take the TFA version that was shown, not include the red arm, and just call it a generic 3PO. Maybe that's what you mean.

Agreed. Even though a TFA C-3PO was shown, I highly doubt they’ll go back and actually make it a TFA version given the way interest in the ST waned with each subsequent film. It’s more likely they take that body and give it a repaint to turn it into a generic 3PO or make it specific to an OT film. Either ANH or ESB I’d say.

I don't mean what it's called or how its sold, I mean the sculpt itself - the one they showed I called the "TFAT" 3PO - because his torso looks a bit fatter to match how Daniels was heavier in the ST. I assume the suit was 3D printed and HT then got the file so that quite specific detail showed up on the fig.

They could just call it OT and drop the red arm (I seem to recall the HT fig shown came with a swap-out gold arm anyway,) but it wouldn't have that super-slender torso 3PO mostly has in the OT (esp ANH and ESB.)

The ST suit also has a few quite minor sculpt differences to the OT 3PO that HT included - eg upper leg/thigh (OT 3PO's right thigh has a 6 band "strap" detail whereas ST 3PO only has 3 - see pic below, ST on left, OT on right) the torso (the stomach's "concentric circles" are situated slightly higher on ST vs OT) and the waist (the ST wires layout is unique, though they differ between OT movies anyway) plus the more obvious stuff like the silver shin.

bDq6qpp.png

But maybe HT and collectors wouldn't care that much. It's very minor. It's like the example of the Mando HT bike - HT could probably just repaint it brown and leave all the mando-specific details and most wouldn't really care.

Then again the last time we saw a 3PO on display wasn’t it a version from Attack of the Clones? No idea why they’d start with that version but weirder things have happened. I have to think 3PO will sell to Star Wars collectors, especially those of us who lean more towards the Original Trilogy. Sideshow’s figure is probably sitting because it’s not that great. It does the job for now but he’ll be going away after the Hot a Toys version comes out. The Hot Toys R2 blows the Sideshow version out of the water by a long shot.

They showed both, and the AOTC version looked to me to have a different facesculpt to the TFA version.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It doesn't look like HT announced a new C3PO so I think that I might just go with the SS one for now.

Ha! figures! I was going to wait this one out for some points to convert. Guess I'll just hold off for the HT. I'll probably have more RPs by then anyway.

You're gonna need those RPs, too. The Hot Toys 3PO will surely look amazing but will probably cost upwards of $300 bucks, when it finally is announced.

To give credit where credit is do, aside from the wonky thumbs, the SS version holds it own on display, even next to HT's R2.

AWAITING THE STRIKE TEAM.jpg

Yeah, I'll stick with the SSC set...weird hands and all. The AOTC version HT previewed at a con a while back could be interesting, but with no other AOTC characters (Padme, Ani, etc) to display it with, it would be odd. The familiar "Goldenrod" version may yet show up from HT, but it won't be a shock if it has it's own "issues" and costs upward of $300 as well as two or three years out after a PO is eventually announced.

You guys are def right about HT price for their eventual version.

But based on reviews and pics I've checked out this weekend, the SS version seems definitely more than good enough for display especially since I don't know of all the nuances that may or may not be accurate when it comes to SW characters. And even if I notice something is a bit off, it tends to not bother me as much as the next guy. Heck for me, SS newest ROTJ Vader has been better for me then the HT V1 ANH Vader which I know is probably sacrilegious to say these days :lol I even prefer SS ROTJ Luke over the HT. I had the HT and sold it in less than 3 months. Maybe I just like going against the grain :lol

Last edited:
You guys are def right about HT price for their eventual version.

But based on reviews and pics I've checked out this weekend, the SS version seems definitely more than good enough for display especially since I don't know of all the nuances that may or may not be accurate when it comes to SW characters. And even if I notice something is a bit off, it tends to not bother me as much as the next guy. Heck for me, SS newest ROTJ Vader has been better for me then the HT V1 ANH Vader which I know is probably sacrilegious to say these days :lol I even prefer SS ROTJ Luke over the HT. I had the HT and sold it in less than 3 months. Maybe I just like going against the grain :lol

I dont really care if Sideshows 3PO isnt 100% perfect because he isnt really even a character that I like honestly. Im jumping on WL for this since I can basically get it for nothing thanks to RP and a code I have. I doubt I would be willing to pay for whatever HT tries to charge since I dont even like the character. But R2 is looking a little lonely.

I dont really care if Sideshows 3PO isnt 100% perfect because he isnt really even a character that I like honestly. Im jumping on WL for this since I can basically get it for nothing thanks to RP and a code I have. I doubt I would be willing to pay for whatever HT tries to charge since I dont even like the character. But R2 is looking a little lonely.

This made me laugh at myself as I'm pretty much the same way with 3PO. I realize that there are a few "must have" characters for me that I don't even really like that much... And that kind of sums up Star Wars collecting in a nutshell :)

This made me laugh at myself as I'm pretty much the same way with 3PO. I realize that there are a few "must have" characters for me that I don't even really like that much... And that kind of sums up Star Wars collecting in a nutshell :)

Yeah I?ve been putting off buying a 3PO since I dont feel like I need him but cant hurt to jump on the waitlist. I still need a Chewie but I was never impressed by the ANH or TFA versions, so waiting it out for hopefully an ESB version.

Back