SDCC Crimson Cobra Commander: THE POLL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of Sideshow's choice of Crimson Cobra Commander?

• Total voters
You know nothing about what kind of person I am.

And yes, the example does compare to a cherry figure that is not from the classic line. But thanks for playing.

I'll state it again let SS do things like GG did a couple years ago and do the Commanders as Ex and make it a real pain. Then lets see how many of you all want them to go back to doing simple variants that can be skipped.

Missimg the point STILL. SS exclusives are not nearly as hard to get as the GG Clone Commanders were. Even if the exclusive was Zartan we all coul've easily obtained one via the priority preorder. :rolleyes:

You know nothing about what kind of person I am.

And yes, the example does compare to a cherry figure that is not from the classic line. But thanks for playing.

Well, I've got a pretty good idea based on how you try to treat me here.

No it really doesn't so thanks for playing yourself.

Missimg the point STILL. SS exclusives are not nearly as hard to get as the GG Clone Commanders were. Even if the exclusive was Zartan we all coul've easily obtained one via the priority preorder. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how easy it is to get them. Thats the only thing people keep bringing up. Its a Con item and Con items are generally something off the wall, variant, or non essential character.

I would say using Zartan as a Con Ex as a bad idea no matter how easy it was to get. That's why SS decided to not use Kit Fisto as a SDCC Ex and go with Sith Eyes Anakin.

Why does it being a Con figure not make it alright for it to be a variant? Would any of you have been happy if they had made it Storm Shadow or someone like that? I get the feeling as long as it was the variant you all wanted it would be ok. The Dead has a history of that line getting a new figure at SDCC and honestly its a nitch line that you can get away with it. I wouldn't be shocked if we see a BHST figure for a SDCC release and would have been ok with it this year.

This is kind of the same weak argument you tried to have in the Indy forum by shallowly labeling others as haters of the Indy in German disguise stating that the only way they would've been happy is if Sideshow had released their desired figures. In actuality, it wasn't the figure there, but the timing of the figure itself and the pace of the line. Here, the argument isn't that shallow either and your remark is an extremely narrow-minded perception of what is being discussed.

I think the main argument here is that it's a non-cannon variant and a copy of one of Hasbro's cheap marketing ploys. It'd be like Sideshow releasing a pink Vader next year as an SDCC Ex. The point you're missing is that if it had actually been a black CC, which is actually canon, he meets your criteria as being a colored SDCC Ex, and would still be something that IS canon vs. something that is not meaning something nobody could really cry about.

Sure there would be those who would still cry, as there will always be, but the majority here would only really be able to say "pass."

Bottom line, everyone gets your point about a recolored CC being a perfect option to utilize as an SDCC Ex. But you're not getting everyone else's point that the color choice is (to be nice) an odd non-canonical one.

Why does it being a Con figure not make it alright for it to be a variant? Would any of you have been happy if they had made it Storm Shadow or someone like that? I get the feeling as long as it was the variant you all wanted it would be ok. The Dead has a history of that line getting a new figure at SDCC and honestly its a nitch line that you can get away with it. I wouldn't be shocked if we see a BHST figure for a SDCC release and would have been ok with it this year.

I'll state it again let SS do things like GG did a couple years ago and do the Commanders as Ex and make it a real pain. Then lets see how many of you all want them to go back to doing simple variants that can be skipped.

That would make me extremly happy if they had someone like that. Like I said, nowadays you can get a Con exclusive without attending.

Well put Nam, my main beef is that its a useless variant into a line that only has 4 figures and a wall, and we want momentum to continue with this line as we all know what happens when it slows down.

Why do you assume they went out of their way to make such an oddball choice?

Because red Cobra Commander was the 29th CC figure Hasbro made, a random 2008 repaint with no "story" behind the colors whatsoever. And the SSC SDCC CC isn't even accurate to *that* version, since he didn't have the silver symbol on his face in the Senior Ranking Officers set.

cobracommander29.jpg

Its just really out there and doesn't really cater to anyone other than people who like CC and think the color red is cool. Its a noteworthy headscratcher but as I said before once blue CC is out plus SS and the Troopers I don't think anyone will really care. This line rocks and I can't wait to see the likes of Duke, 1986 Hawk, Beach Head, and Firefly!

Because red Cobra Commander was the 29th CC figure Hasbro made, a random 2008 repaint with no "story" behind the colors whatsoever. And the SSC SDCC CC isn't even accurate to *that* version, since he didn't have the silver symbol on his face in the Senior Ranking Officers set.

Yeah, even worse... it's a Devil's Due/Bradstreet version of the silly 2008 Hasbro repaint. :duh

well if they show crimson guard troopers off at sdcc on either side of him the cooler choice fits in some where. i don't have a problem with ss doing this variant but it's mainly based off the fact that i can't buy everything and this makes the choice easy

well if they show crimson guard troopers off at sdcc on either side of him the cooler choice fits in some where. i don't have a problem with ss doing this variant but it's mainly based off the fact that i can't buy everything and this makes the choice easy

Part of the appeal of the Crimson Guard was that they stood out from everyone else who bore the blue Cobra color scheme. Having everyone blend, yes, even CC, kind of defeats that purpose. It also further separates him from his main troopers.

I think it looks fine, but I just dont want it.

:lecture

Honestly, I think this is a cool EX. Maybe a better choice would have been the goggled Snake-Eyes or Cobra-Officer, but I don't mind this.

That said, I can see how 1/6th fans who want a complete line might be disappointed by this choice.

Part of the appeal of the Crimson Guard was that they stood out from everyone else who bore the blue Cobra color scheme. Having everyone blend, yes, even CC, kind of defeats that purpose. It also further separates him from his main troopers.

Yep. They're basically the GI Joe RAH equivalent of SW's Emperor's Royal Guard.

Maybe a red-robed Palpatine variant is in the future from Hasbro and Sideshow. :lol

Wonder if the red liner will also be the same material used for the cape (for Crimson Commander)?

IMG_2233.jpg

(Cobra Commander looks great).

Last edited:
Is he here yet? :drool

He's not classic but THAT is the f'n Commmander!!! :rock

Yeah, I love it. I want it. Sideshow, were is it? They're supposed to start processing them TODAY! :rock :rock :rock

EDIT> They are! My Exclusive CC was pre-auth'd today! :banana

Last edited:
wahhhhhhhhhhhhh it's not CANON!!! *stomps feet and pouts* :monkey2 :lol

Back