Powerloader Price Revealed!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I doubt this will calm the conspiracy theorists, BBTS is known for offering preorders based on rumors or product previews, before they know the real details or price. I would speculate that BBTS set a deliberately low initial price to get a flood of preorders. Then when the real price got revealed, they'd bump up the cost on all the preorders, and offer the people who preordered at the initial price a coupon or special discount off the real cost in order to make them keep their order with BBTS. Some people would cancel, of course, but since a lot of people will likely buy it through BBTS anyway I'm sure it's a successful strategy.

They did it to me with the McFarlane Lost figures. Offered the set at $60-something, then when the MSRP was revealed they bumped it to $80-something, but offered me $5 off their real price. I cancelled and ended up only getting Locke from TRU.

Is it more realistic that Hot Toys reassessed it's price based on the Toy Fair reaction, which was always going to be as ecstatic as it was(come on, it's the POWER LOADER), or that one store is being sly in order to get your business?

This item was NEVER going to cost less than the ED-209, which is smaller. $250 is a lot but it's not unreasonable in comparison to ED-209 or a typical Hot Toys figure. This is a 1/6 VEHICLE, not a figure. If you believed it would cost the same as a Hot Toys 1/6 FIGURE, that's your own wishful thinking revealing itself. I'm sure it'll come down in price closer to $200, and I'll consider it a deal at that price. I never thought anyone would make one, let alone in this scale.

How is it unfair? At anything above $30 total it's always going to be priced out of *someone's* price range. It's not necessary for display purposes, since it doesn't even really share the same scenes as the previously made figures except Ripley, which most people seem to think sucks anyway.

bluesparrow said:
I could be wrong, I seem to remember everybody mocking the lack of similarity to Sigourney Weaver.

Well yeah, thats goes with pretty much all of HTs humans in the Aliens line. But other than that, I think shes really well done. I also think a great repaint can save much of the sculpt.

But yeas I do agree, the likeness is weak.

bluesparrow said:
I never thought anyone would make one, let alone in this scale.
Aoshima makes a 1/12 costing $50 and Kenner has one for $15.

If the ED-209, which is really just a highly detailed plastic statue, is anything to go by, the Powerloader, whilst impressive, will surely be another Hot Toys let down. Hot promises of what could be, and still never fully realised. Maybe later, after this one sells through, we will get the Powerloader with working light, and later again, one with more articulation.

Now, whilst we're making a list, it should come with a Ripley head that actually looks like her.

Hey, add me to the mockers list too.

bluesparrow said:
How is it unfair?

I'll tell you why, it doesn't cost THAT much to produce a molded plastic piece like this in China, okay it has a lot of little rubber 5 cent tubes. Add in development design costs and you get a unit cost of somewhere around 90 -125... add shipping import fees, etc and your wholesale price to distributors is around 150, that should be in a reasonable wholesale price/unit range... add retailers profits and you get price retail point around 185- 200 (same as Ed 209) which was much heavier and used far more raw material to produce/ship, etc. as opposed to an open frame piece like this.

What happened here IMO is Dealers at Toyfair got into the mix when it was shown and influenced the retail market price IMO, that and that "whispering campaign" on some toysites floating a 300 price range to collectors, you don't think Toy Companies, Reps and Toysites talk to each other at these Conventions? Well, they do...

This was obviously pulled from the market to reset a higher price...

And of course HT will use the same mold to produce a better version down the line, Battle Damaged or one with more functional lights etc...

Just look at Robocop 3 vs Robocop HS and you know it'll happen.

bluesparrow said:
While I doubt this will calm the conspiracy theorists, BBTS is known for offering preorders based on rumors or product previews, before they know the real details or price. I would speculate that BBTS set a deliberately low initial price to get a flood of preorders. Then when the real price got revealed, they'd bump up the cost on all the preorders, and offer the people who preordered at the initial price a coupon or special discount off the real cost in order to make them keep their order with BBTS. Some people would cancel, of course, but since a lot of people will likely buy it through BBTS anyway I'm sure it's a successful strategy.

They did it to me with the McFarlane Lost figures. Offered the set at $60-something, then when the MSRP was revealed they bumped it to $80-something, but offered me $5 off their real price. I cancelled and ended up only getting Locke from TRU.

Is it more realistic that Hot Toys reassessed it's price based on the Toy Fair reaction, which was always going to be as ecstatic as it was(come on, it's the POWER LOADER), or that one store is being sly in order to get your business?

This item was NEVER going to cost less than the ED-209, which is smaller. $250 is a lot but it's not unreasonable in comparison to ED-209 or a typical Hot Toys figure. This is a 1/6 VEHICLE, not a figure. If you believed it would cost the same as a Hot Toys 1/6 FIGURE, that's your own wishful thinking revealing itself. I'm sure it'll come down in price closer to $200, and I'll consider it a deal at that price. I never thought anyone would make one, let alone in this scale.

Thank you :)

Eric

At $250 this will be an easy pass for me. I'd love to have a Powerloader... but I wouldn't really have room to display it and I would like a bit more articulation and movement out of it.

But I will buy a 1/6 Queen, no matter how much she costs!

galactiboy said:
At $250 this will be an easy pass for me. I'd love to have a Powerloader... but I wouldn't really have room to display it and I would like a bit more articulation and movement out of it.

Quickly what I'm leaning towards.

Still gonna get Ripley though.

likeness is weak. was hoping Frontline'd do a Weaver sculpt.

but hell, it's the POWER LOADER!!! i'll stick a F@#$%^& Barbie in that mofo!

"LET GO OF HER YOU B!TC#!" ARRZM CRAECHS GRAACK:google :bounce

Mookeylama said:
likeness is weak. was hoping Frontline'd do a Weaver sculpt.

but hell, it's the POWER LOADER!!! i'll stick a F@#$%^& Barbie in that mofo!

"LET GO OF HER YOU B!TC#!" ARRZM CRAECHS GRAACK:google :bounce

Lonnie IS doing a Ripley and Hudson HS, look for it to be posted on their site very soon. Lonnie said about when the HT Series 2 set hits the US...

King Darkness said:
Quickly what I'm leaning towards.

Still gonna get Ripley though.

Yeah, definitely keeping Ripley. I'd have loved for a Powerloader to go with her... but doesn't seem thats meant to be.

pjam said:
Lonnie IS doing a Ripley and Hudson HS, look for it to be posted on their site very soon. Lonnie said about when the HT Series 2 set hits the US...

Sweet. I'll have to pick one up for sure!

King Darkness said:
Sweet. I'll have to pick one up for sure!

Expect to pay 10 per head!!! OMG ten dollars! :lol

Unless of course he display them at NY Comic Con and decides to reset the price at 30% gouge increase (which he would never do)...

Sorry so sarcastic, but there is clearly some market manipulation going on with this PL and I hate this kind of "pull it and price it higher" suckers crap...

pjam said:
Expect to pay 10 per head!!! OMG ten dollars! :lol

Unless of course he display them at NY Comic Con and decides to reset the price at 30% gouge increase (which he would never do)...

Sorry so sarcastic, but there is clearly some market manipulation going on with this PL and I hate this kind of "pull it and price it higher" suckers crap...

totally agree.

LordAzrael said:
You talking about the microwave and vacuum combo - or am I confused.... :emperor

Just make sure you don't get the two confused King ;-)

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I'll try not to confuse the two Lord:rotfl

Now in the SAME Sideshow Radio broadcast they had a little snip ad for the Powerloader (they played the sound of the footsteps and Ripley screaming her famous line at the Queen) and during that ad the narrator said that the price was still being determined.

But Brant had said during an interview in the same radio broadcast that it was $250.He described the pieces,talking about the pipes,the working light,etc. and then said...and his words then were: "You can get that all for about $250."

Listen to it yourselves to hear it.

Back