Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Buy already has it in their systems, basically the same day of SM3 release.

sweet!!! can i still get the free movie deal on amazon?? if so then im buying the new system the day it comes out. and then running up to get the spiderman boxed set in blu ray!!!!!!

Holy crap, I downloaded the trailer for Metal Gear Online from the PS3 store, man this looks sick!!! I cant wait, next year is gonna be the year of the snake baby:rock :rock :rock

My PS3 should be here from Amazon on Wednesday. I guess I'll be watching Underworld on Bluray! :rock :woo

On Attack Of The Show today they were talking about a new stripped down PS3 that will be available first week of November. $399.99 should buy a PS3 with only 2 USBs, a 40 gig harddrive, no backward compatability, and probably no media card readers.

Hmm... I like media card readers and harddrive space.

Hits the shops here in the UK tomorrow. Sony are discontinuing the 60gb version so technically mine's a limited edition PS3.

I can see the eBay auction now... :D

On Attack Of The Show today they were talking about a new stripped down PS3 that will be available first week of November. $399.99 should buy a PS3 with only 2 USBs, a 40 gig harddrive, no backward compatability, and probably no media card readers.

Hmm... I like media card readers and harddrive space.

Man, what a crap package. They are taking out way to many things that make it worthwhile and still charging too much. :emperor

Well if it still has a Blu-Ray player it may be worth it to some, for that reason and playing PS3 games.

I don't know. Seems a bit high for what they are selling. I need backwards compatibility and other options. They sure are cutting out a lot and the consumer isn't saving much. :monkey1

Man, what a crap package. They are taking out way to many things that make it worthwhile and still charging too much. :emperor

My understanding is SONY still loses money on each system it sells. Not to mention how weak the US dollar is in relation to the Yen.

I think this is an example of where the marketing boys and girls told the higher ups that they can sell so many more units at $100 less and the higher ups decided the only way they could do that is to cut the cost of production by that much.

My understanding is SONY still loses money on each system it sells. Not to mention how weak the US dollar is in relation to the Yen.

I think this is an example of where the marketing boys and girls told the higher ups that they can sell so many more units at $100 less and the higher ups decided the only way they could do that is to cut the cost of production by that much.

Do you ever know what youre talking about? Last time I checked the dollar was still stronger than the yen. :lol

Do you ever know what youre talking about? Last time I checked the dollar was still stronger than the yen. :lol

Wow. Ever think things through before posting them? :rotfl

Um, I don't want to get into the intricacies of currency exchange but while the US Dollar costs more than a Jap Yen my point is clearly that the Yen is in a strong upward trend while the US Dollar in a weak spot.

For further reading try this article from August 29, 2007 called Euro/Yen Strength To Continue Versus the U.S. Dollar:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/45956-euro-yen-strength-to-continue-versus-the-u-s-dollar

Or from Forbes 08.17.07:

The Japanese currency was trading at 112.54 to the dollar at 2:50 p.m. in Tokyo, following a rise to 112.01 in New York overnight, putting it at its strongest in 14 months.

i think its funny how playstation supporters ragged on the 360 when they said only limited backwards compatibility for old xbox games, but now that the new PS3 isn't gonna have BC the exact same people are saying that it isn't important and that if you were so worried about playing PS2 games that you would still have a PS2 system. IMO sony is totatlly hypocritical.... first they said that HD is the only way to go.... then hardly any of their games are full 1080p, HDMI is the path of the future.... but they won't even include a cable with the systems, 100% backwards compatibility is one of their most important features.... now due to cost they are cutting it out of some of their systems..... they criticized microsoft for having 2 different hardware systems.... now they have gone through almost as many as microsoft has.

~~i've owned every sony system since day one except for the PS3.... it seems to me that they went into this round of hardware competition with a little bit of laziness by expecting people to come flocking with their wallets open and blank checks written regardless of being completely ready for release. i love my 360 and the online is what will edge them above of the PS3 as long as they keep it up with the games and price advantage.... the Wii is also a fun system, but if you ask me the only thing that is keeping nintendo afloat is the incredibly low price tag. they just dont have the hardware specs to deliver the games that ADULTS really want. Zelda, Metroid, and Super Smash Brothers are the only games i see making a huge impact on the system besides kids games...... which is the angle Nintendo has been working for many years now.

alright add me to the list of PS3 owners. broke down and bought the 60gb this morning at gamestop. the only games i have are Resistance and Heavenly Sword. i will be renewing my gamefly account next month and should start testing out the waters on PS3 games.
~~right now gamestop is having a great deal on the 60gb PS3 while they still have them in stock. if you buy a new system they throw in a free game. here are the choices: Heavenly Sword, Resistance, and Genji.
you get your choice of with one of these and you receive a new game not a used one. sooo... if you wanted you could get Heavenly Sword like i did and return it to wal mart or something to get the full $60 store credit.

anyone mind helping me out here? i thought the PS3 can handle .mp4 videos. so i've been converting them and putting them onto my thumb drive and none of them are working. it keeps saying unsupported format or something. am i not saving them correctly or what??

You have to use a free program called PS3 Video 9 to convert the files.

https://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

Or at least that's the only way I've been able to do it. Hope this helps.

Unless it's a problem of finding the videos on the thumbdrive. That screwed me up for a bit. I had to press triangle to get more info from the media card I was using.

thanks for the help, but i am a Mac user so it won't work for me. i have a program called VisualHub but i just want to know what specific format is needed. i thought it supported .avi but i guess not.

A Mac, man, I wish I could be more helpful. Doing a quick search it looks like VisualHub should work but I couldn't find any tutorials or walkthroughs. Found one on how to stream to PS3 but that's not the same thing. Good luck with that. As time goes by I'm sure there will be more Mac/PS3 support.

Back