Pacific Rim: Uprising - March 23, 2018

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacific Rim 3: Steven S DeKnight's idea for a sequel

In our interview with DeKnight last week, we asked him what the giant monsters (or Kaiju) symbolised in Pacific Rim Uprising - and he gave us a quite thoughtful response:

"You know, to me there's an undercurrent that I wanted to get out there: unfortunately, in the world right now, there seems to be a rampant nationalist, xenophobic fear taking over. That anything different is terrifying and monstrous. So you have these creatures coming from another world, and of course everyone thinks they're terrible and bad. I won't go into detail, but I have this interesting idea for the third movie to really blow that up."

Up until now, the alien threat in the Pacific Rim movies has been presented as flatly villainous - we don't really know much about the creatures living on the other side of the dimensional rift (or Breach) is that they're colonists intent on using giant monsters to take over our planet.

According to DeKnight, though, the aliens' motivations will be explored further in Pacific Rim 3; the Precursors still be our enemy, but we'll have a clearer idea of why they want Earth so badly.

"So the aliens in the Breach aren't necessarily as villainous as we think"

so Pacific Rim 3: space refugees...

tenor.gif

if the drones were able to open the breach then it should have stayed open. thats the problem, once the breach is open it shouldn't be able to close. it is not like a door, the breach was literally a Rip in the ocean between dimensions. a rip that took a nuclear bomb to close off.

what you're saying is a little confusing. You say it shouldn't be able to close but it DOES close. The fact is, neither movie states what opened or what keeps the breach open

Now they were treating it like an elevator door.... even if the Drones had the DNA to open it, (which it was NEVER said that the Kaiju opened the portal, it opened on its own by the aliens but it basically ripped the ocean floor) Even if they had the force and dna material to open it.....

I don't think they're using DNA to open it. The DNA is just how they are able to pass through. It's like a security measure.

The breach then should have stayed open again, because disabling the drones would not stop the hole from being opened. it would be like cutting a hole in a bottle of soda, you cannot just stop the soda because you remove the knife... thats such nonsense this movie is such garbage...

I'm not sure I understand how this analogy applies. Because this logic suggests the breach wouldn't be able to close at all..which it does.

Also in the first movie they state that what's happening in the movie isn't the first time. They suggest the precursors sent kaiju to earth to colonize it back in prehistoric times. They allude to Kaiju being the reason for dino extinction. They failed however, because of the atmosphere, but because of mans pollution of the earth over the following years, it made it so the precursors/kaiju could better survive. So I'm sure there's a method to closing the portal besides detonating a bomb because they would have had to close it back then...I'm sure the dinosaurs or prehistoric man didn't :lol

I can accept that the Kaiju drones opened the breach with their DNA somehow but the closing of it is completely irrational. specially if it opened big enough for 3 category 4 kaijus to come out. the breach was fully open at that point. the sequel for this could have been about the breach being opened again.

Again, the DNA isn't a factor in opening it. It's a security system, like an eyeball scan. The fact that it's big enough for three kaiju can also be explained if you understand the precursors plan from the first movie. They were sending kaiju periodically to clear the earth, then when it was at a certain phase they started sending 2...then 3 etc. This was their "extinction" level phase where the kaiju were exterminating the remains (which is where Uprising then adds the terraforming stuff which conflicts with the first movie, but let's not get into that lol)... In Uprising it's obvious they had been manufacturing Kaiju over the 10 year gap in order to send them all at once. So they used the Earthside resources to build the drones which could open portals big enough

I know I mentioned that the portal could be self sustaining, but if you watch the clip I posted it's not actually confirmed...it's only mentioned that the breach could stabilize. If these breaches opened by the drones were not stabilized...which I doubt they were in such a short time...they would close as soon as the power source (the drones) is destroyed...which is what happened.

what a stupid movie seriously

My stuff in bold

At this point we're just talking silly sci-fi movie logic. So maybe we should just let the nerd glases fall down the bridge of our nose instead of pushing it back up :lol

so Pacific Rim 3: space refugees...

tenor.gif

Oh boy....That sounds bad. The explicitly state in the first movie that the aliens are colonizers going from planet to planet sucking all the resources. It's just like Independence day y'all....It's also what we humans do they're just farther along then we are...

I can see where they're going. We built Jaegers...the Jaegers are our kaiju...at one point we're going to use the Jaegers for offense instead of defense... and we will take over other worlds... effectively becoming just like the Aliens...and that's why they call them precursors!

pre·cur·sor
prēˈkərsər/Submit
noun
a person or thing that comes before another of the same kind; a forerunner.

They are US! :panic:

Last edited:
"So the aliens in the Breach aren't necessarily as villainous as we think"

Oh, okay. :lol

That's why Charlie Day turned into an evil madman bent on destroying the world when he let one of them into his head. I guess each new Pacific Rim movie will forget whatever the one before it establishes.

My stuff in bold

At this point we're just talking silly sci-fi movie logic. So maybe we should just let the nerd glases fall down the bridge of our nose instead of pushing it back up :lol

Oh boy....That sounds bad. The explicitly state in the first movie that the aliens are colonizers going from planet to planet sucking all the resources. It's just like Independence day y'all....It's also what we humans do they're just farther along then we are...

I can see where they're going. We built Jaegers...the Jaegers are our kaiju...at one point we're going to use the Jaegers for offense instead of defense... and we will take over other worlds... effectively becoming just like the Aliens...and that's why they call them precursors!

pre·cur·sor
prēˈkərsər/Submit
noun
a person or thing that comes before another of the same kind; a forerunner.

They are US! :panic:

the breach is literally a giant hole in the ground. a long hole in the ground that leads to the other dimension at the bottom of the hole.
what happens when you blow up a hole? where does the dirt go? if you put dynamite in a hole in the dirt, what happens to the hole?

dirt fills it up. all the dirt around it will fall on itself. the hole is sealed. the ground will move and seal it.

there is literally no logical reason for all those drone jaeger to be able to open the breach so easily, Gypsy danger fell all the way down in the hole and blew it up.

These drones were opening it like if was on the surface.

this movie is ASS

the breach is literally a giant hole in the ground. a long hole in the ground that leads to the other dimension at the bottom of the hole.
what happens when you blow up a hole? where does the dirt go? if you put dynamite in a hole in the dirt, what happens to the hole?

dirt fills it up. all the dirt around it will fall on itself. the hole is sealed. the ground will move and seal it.

there is literally no logical reason for all those drone jaeger to be able to open the breach so easily, Gypsy danger fell all the way down in the hole and blew it up.

These drones were opening it like if was on the surface.

this movie is ASS

Huh? it's not a big hole. It's a dimensional rift or a wormhole. It's a tunnel through space and time. When the breach disappears there isn't a giant gaping hole left behind. The land surrounding it is basically untouched. Think of the portal the Chitauri used to invade NYC in Avengers or Stargate.

Here watch the opening scene from the first Pacific Rim. The portal itself is hovering over actual land. It's not touching it.

At the 1:00 mark

and then again in the final battle watch as the electricity starts and then they pass through the portal which is not actually touching the ground. It's a portal through space and time not the earth itself. The breach is LOCATED in a fissure yes...but it is not, nor did it create the fissure.

Skip to 1:37

The drones aren't opening the same breach from the original film. They are opening new ones. They were sending Drones to all sorts of different locations along the pacific rim to open multiple breaches. It was multiple spots. It's not the original breach.

Instead of building big robots, how about just melt them all down and use the material to cap the rift. Problem Solved.

Oh man I am so glad you said that...

I think that is why I enjoyed this film as much as I did... I was going in expecting ID4 type film or the last two transformers films... It was better then those by a lot IMO...

I can't defend the film... But I can say I don't think it was complete trash.

That may be.. I don't recall ID2 at all but this was a far better time at the movies IMO...

I mean my expectations could not have been lower for this or for ID2

Difference is ID2 met those really low expectations... This one crawled out from them.

Its weird because I HATED those clips of the final battle... But in context of the film I did not... Perhaps it just looked better to me on the big screen.

I am 100% with you on the opening of the portal.. The whole sequence was the worst part of the film for me.

PR2 is an oscar winner compared to ID2.

Actually I prefer PR2 over Kong!

Was all ready to see this last night until I found out they had swapped all the IMAX 3d times with ready player one ( which was honestly a nice surprise).. is pacific rim not worth it in only 3d?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I did see ready player one in IMAX 3d and I'm going to have to disagree with you. That race sequence in 3d was breathtaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m actually glad to hear that about RPO 3D because I was just going by reviews and forum members claiming otherwise.

Nonetheless i’ll know for myself by tonight.

But PR2 3D wasn’t as good as the first PR which surprised me because of the daylight scenes.

ReadyPlayerOne has already beaten this film in the box office :lecture

I predict a may/ June / July blu Ray release for PR :lol

If TLJ earned 1.3 billion and was out on bluray only 3 months later I say PR2 will be out on digital by next weekend and the PR franchise is securely locked away with the Blade Runner franchise lol

If TLJ earned 1.3 billion and was out on bluray only 3 months later I say PR2 will be out on digital by next weekend and the PR franchise is securely locked away with the Blade Runner franchise lol

Your Signature says it all..PR, Wrinkle In Time, RPO did the smart thing releasing now..nothing is going to top IW this summer...not even Solo.

I think all these film companies know this.

IW is going to break world box office records

I wonder if JW2 has enough to be in the #2 spot because of the fandom

Last edited:

That would be Tomb Raider :wink1:

Back