Premium Format New Sideshow Spider-Man (Comic) PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do people think about the price of this? I really like this statue so I'm pre-ordering but curious about others.

I was hoping for a price tag about $400. $420 high end. But like someone said earlier. It's not worth losing this awesome piece over a tank of gas (and I am broke as hell). In the end, I will eventually be priced out of the game. But $470 is a lot better than the ridiculous prices people ask for the comiquette on the aftermarket.

I want to know where do people get the nerve to ask $1000 to $3000 for a statue that cost them around $300... Then they have the audacity to blame sideshow for recognizing their worth. If anyone is to blame here, it is the flippers and those who pay such outrageous amounts for these. To each there own, but I disagree with their decisions.

Part of me feels the same way, video games in the 80's & comics in the 90's.

After Spiderman all I want is Ghost Rider & Robin. That'll wrap it up for me on comic related stuff.

And the baseball card market. I forgot about the comic crash. Also the 1990's star wars kenner toys. I sold those for a huge profit right before that market crashed.

What do people think about the price of this? I really like this statue so I'm pre-ordering but curious about others.

I expected it, so it doesn't bother me much. It's crazy looking back at how far things have come over the years, price-wise.

New PF compared to the cq is way more dynamic with more imagination, especially the base. I think this like a lot of Sideshows newer realeases of previously done characters are just better overall and will eventually make the old ones look dated. This is probably one of Sideshow most ambitious pieces yet, and even at this price it still looks like a bargain compared to XM.

Can't wait to see the black variant, I wonder if the base will be the same...

Last edited:

It's overpriced but it's Spidey. If production matches proto, I'll be ok with it. If they botch the paint I'm going to send this back no hesitation. I used RP on arkham bats but I'm dropping full price on Spidey so this will be my last SSC PO for a long time. I'm thinking I might sell Grey Hulk and Emma after I get them and cancel my PCS Ryu.

Can't really say it's overpriced until you get it and judge it in person at that point. That's the famous line on this forum right?

New PF compared to the cq is way more dynamic with more imagination, especially the base. I think this like a lot of Sideshows newer realeases of previously done characters are just better overall and will eventually make the old ones look dated. This is probably one of Sideshow most ambitious pieces yet, and even at this price it still looks like a bargain compared th XM.

Can't wait to see the black variant, I wonder if the base will be the same...

While I agree that this Spidey PF looks very dynamic, there's no way I would say it makes the original COM look dated. The original COM is a classic statue. A timeless masterpiece. Nothing dated about it IMO.

While I agree that this Spidey PF looks very dynamic, there's no way I would say it makes the original COM look dated. The original COM is a classic statue. A timeless masterpiece. Nothing dated about it IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the cq is still a great piece and I beat myself up a long time when I missed it, but if SS nails this, IF, the mostly primary colors on the cq will look simple compared to that. The sculpt on the new PF looks just that much better, add the base and pose....

Somewhat true but having gotten Bats, Supes, and WW all for $400, I feel it is somewhat overpriced.

Or were Batman, superman and wonder woman underpriced.... Woah!

woah-o.gif

Yup, I am actually thinking of cancelling a couple pieces to justify POing this.
Somewhat true but having gotten Bats, Supes, and WW all for $400, I feel it is somewhat overpriced.

That's basically what I was getting at before. You were right with the $469.99 baseline, and while I knew it was possible (maybe even probable) I also knew it'd get this reaction from everyone, so I hoped against it. Alas, it landed where it did, and while some will adjust, you can just feel the aura shift on these boards with this piece.

While the base is getting mixed reactions, I don't think anyone can hate on Spidey. We can all be nervous -- and rightfully so -- about the production products painted lines; however, Spidey's sculpt is superb. That said, there aren't four pages straight of "Insta-PO!" anymore...it's all, "Wow, that's a huge price," or even just saying, "That was my limit."

As you said you'll likely do, I think a lot of previous orders will start getting cancelled. Prioritizing will begin to take place, and Sideshow will feel the hit. I'm not saying that'll change their pricing...it's hard to go back down when you go up, but this extreme jump was 100% uncalled for. A $30 hike, or in the range of, over the previous baseline would've been a lot more tolerable. It's crazy too, because so many people were just jumping on board the collecting game, and there's SO many untapped characters that people would've gobbled up for $399.99 or even a bit more depending.

Just wait until a few months from now when the variant comes out for $489.99, just because.

I want to know where do people get the nerve to ask $1000 to $3000 for a statue that cost them around $300... Then they have the audacity to blame sideshow for recognizing their worth. If anyone is to blame here, it is the flippers and those who pay such outrageous amounts for these. To each there own, but I disagree with their decisions.

That's like anything though...if it's a piece someone really wants and it's older, you'll be able to sell it for more. There were fewer back then, and some people REALLY love the older pieces. If someone wants to pay the crazy prices for them, then that's the piece they really want. It's supply and demand. You can wait for this new Spidey to get released and go, "Wow, $470! That's way cheaper than the $1000 someone is asking for that older one!" unless the older one is the one you really want. There are only so many out there, and only so many people selling.

I'm not so great with metaphors, but it's kind of like the value of your house going up over time. If you buy it for $250k and then 10 years later the land is more valuable and you're able to sell for $350k then hey, that's profit! You wouldn't sell it for $250k just to be a nice guy. That said, there will be other NEW houses up in other areas that may cost $250k, but people will spend the extra money because it's that older location they really want. Okay that may not make much sense, but I hope it kinda does! :lol

As for Sideshow recognizing that worth...I mean, it doesn't REALLY work like that. I'm not sure I can explain it, but you can't guess aftermarket prices for things. Some statues, both new and old, still go for what they originally sold for. Or just a small amount more. Sideshow makes huge ES which brings their costs down quite a bit, and they make a lot off of that. If they priced things off what they think things are selling for on the aftermarket, well, it'd just not work.

Or were Batman, superman and wonder woman underpriced.... Woah!

woah-o.gif

Definitely not underpriced! They actually set the new baseline a while back. I believe it was Batman who went up first for $399.99...can't be 100% certain, but I remember people being shocked at that price because the baseline was roughly $349.99 before that. Then everyone expected the Trinity to line up for $399.99 and they did...but then Catwoman went up for $399.99 too, and then everything did.

I'm not so great with metaphors, but it's kind of like the value of your house going up over time. If you buy it for $250k and then 10 years later the land is more valuable and you're able to sell for $350k then hey, that's profit! You wouldn't sell it for $250k just to be a nice guy. That said, there will be other NEW houses up in other areas that may cost $250k, but people will spend the extra money because it's that older location they really want. Okay that may not make much sense, but I hope it kinda does! :lol

As for Sideshow recognizing that worth...I mean, it doesn't REALLY work like that. I'm not sure I can explain it, but you can't guess aftermarket prices for things. Some statues, both new and old, still go for what they originally sold for. Or just a small amount more. Sideshow makes huge ES which brings their costs down quite a bit, and they make a lot off of that. If they priced things off what they think things are selling for on the aftermarket, well, it'd just not work.

To stick with your metaphor if property value raised the value of said house then when new houses go up they are in fact more expensive.

Aren't all investments with intent to sell or profit made with an estimation of aftermarket prices in mind? Lol

To stick with your metaphor if property value raised the value of said house then when new houses go up they are in fact more expensive.

Oh, well I meant like houses in a different area...like...farther away. I told you I wasn't going to give a good metaphor! :lol

Rare things sell for more to those who want to pay for them. Not all statues skyrocket in value to the point where Sideshow should feel there's loads of money being left on the table. They make edition sizes for the masses, but have now priced out a great deal of people. Someone just mentioned they were going to cancel Power Girl -- and may still, though they'll lose money -- so they can get this. Power Girl still hasn't sold out, so now those could possibly start piling up. As could other pieces with large ES. We'll have to wait and see!

Aren't all investments with intent to sell or profit made with an estimation of aftermarket prices in mind? Lol

I know this was talked about in a thread a few months ago...maybe longer...but nobody should ever buy these statues as an investment. Especially now. Unless you mean Sideshow thinking about making profits on their statues and taking the aftermarket into consideration and just simply beating people who re-sell statues to the punch by adding the costs upfront. If that's the case then it's not smart business in the long run, which has been made clear by the negative reaction here (and we can all just wait until the top posts on Facebook sound like!)

Don't get me wrong, the cq is still a great piece and I beat myself up a long time when I missed it, but if SS nails this, IF, the mostly primary colors on the cq will look simple compared to that. The sculpt on the new PF looks just that much better, add the base and pose....

I guess we just have a difference of opinion on the old COM. I actually like the base on the COM much more than this one. Too much of a roasted marshmallow look for my tastes. I also think the pose on it is a timeless classic. Spidey hanging on the wall getting ready to shoot his web...that's all Spidey there. The blue part of his costume does have a bit of a basic paint job on it but it doesn't really take anything away on the piece for me. We both know when it comes to paint apps, it's nothing but a crap shoot with SSC.

For peeps that don't have a classic 1/4 Spidey in their collection, this will definitely hit the spot. It's a cool looking piece. However, my 2 favorite Spidey sculpts remain the same. I like the original COM and the Koto Spidey best. They are still the 2 pieces I measure all other Spidey statues to. Timeless pieces in my book.

Not trying to attack you...just offering an opposing view.

The "nerve" comes from living in a capitalistic society which basically allows for you to sell your property for whatever price you deem appropriate. If your asking price is deemed unacceptable...then the market will act accordingly based on supply and demand.

Couldn't the question be asked where do you get the nerve questioning at what price point someone elects to sell their property? Do I have the right to dictate what prices that you are allowed to buy or sell your property? Of course not...I have no right to tell you can or what you or cannot do with your property. Additionally, I have no right to judge how you acquire or sell your belongings. It's your property, and if you are engaged in a legal transaction with another adult, you are free to sell at whatever price you want. But that same courtesy should be extended to others as well.

I have the old com the PF the koto and the JSC. I always felt like the koto just looked best. It was sadly too small. This should be my fave Spidey piece when it comes out. It's a dynamic and has so many viewing angles. I find that gives it more display value in the long run since you can change it up a bit just by rotating the stat.

Well this was always a must for me, I love it. The bread basket base doesn't bother me except for the black base under the base, not sure why it's necessary and Bowen statues used to irk me with this, why a black base under an environment base?...

I love the Ex. Both pieces together make a good Ex. I know some preferred a maskless Ex head but since he's in an active battle that'd be a weird Ex. Not much else would make sense.

But getting this means not POing other pieces. It's gonna be harder way too costly to complete lines/build teams with these frequent price raises. My focus is large...Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman, Avengers, JL and I wanted a few Star Wars but there must be cuts.

I'm still in for Aquaman, but I have to choose between Vader or Fett which I've been putting off. SSAlex said more X-Men would be coming probably next year, but completing the Lee/Claremont roster has taken way too long and at $500+/statue might not be a goal anymore since I can't imagine passing a Spidey or Batman villain (1 statue of each). Will have to be more selective overall and forget about completing lines.

Back