NEW HT PREDATOR, 'Dutch' full spec and hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

received my exclusive dutch today! what can i say that hasnt been said already! amazing sculpt and paint job-no slop!!! the cigar went missing in the carpet but eventually turned up! it took me at least 10 minutes to get the cigar to stay in his mouth whilst posed in a detolf - i found squeezing the end of the cigar between my teeth (gently) made it a bit thinner and a bit easier to squeeze between dutchys lips.

i have no probs with the long neck issue whatsoever now that i have it in hand to see it and wont bother with the mod mainly cos i dont wanna fkuc it up! and i also have him posed with his headphones around his neck so that hides his (not so) long neck!

overall glad i got the exclusive for such an iconic and soon to be very rare and sought after figure and for a great price too! (total £123 with no custom charges and upto £30 cheaper than most places ive seen him up for order!) HOT TOYS does it again and when each new figure arrives at my door-each surpasses the last in terms of quality and detail (although their quality control SOMETIMES is absolutely useless for the price we pay imo) - i have been lucky enough not to receive one with any defects or 2 left arms etc although im being soo careful with those extremly fragile wrist pegs!!

now bring on the predator!!

i wouldnt mind a detolf shelf dedicated to predator marines but only if their FULL image rights are secured! billy was a big let down and i dont think hottoys should release figures without securing full image rights-its like saying "yeh we'll release 'billy' cos die hard predator geeks will buy anything!" or maybe im wrong and they think fans would rather have him than not even if it only slightly resembles him! but to have a shelf full of pred characters that just look like generic soldiers is looong! similar to those imo awful alien marine sculpts!!
saying that though- i would love a billy if i knew someone that could repaint his hair and face for me!

i wouldnt mind a detolf shelf dedicated to predator marines but only if their FULL image rights are secured! billy was a big let down !

The other problem with Billy that doesn't get much attention is that his jacket is too dark. Its almost bright green in the film. I find him a salvageable figure but I think with the likeness not there they should have made damn sure every other detail was accurate. Like wheres his shirt from the beginning of the film? Wheres the ungloved hands and wristband he wore?

HT can lack on wrist gear for figures, Hicks was missing some, technically Dutch should have a watch on, and it's a bit of a shame Dutch doesn't include ungloved hands.

As good at making figures as HT is, a typical flaw for them is not including some accessories you think they ought to.

As for rights to the other marines, I don't see it happening. The Predator license doesn't cover that, each actor would have to be dealt with individually for that, Carl Weathers can be a jerk about that stuff, I'm amazed how close HT was able to get with Apollo, but they may not be able to get approved by FOX using that same head. They got Arnie's rights because they knew how important it was to collectors, and I think they liked the idea of sculpting Arnold, they're not going to care much about Bill Duke and Richard Chaves.

HT can lack on wrist gear for figures, Hicks was missing some, technically Dutch should have a watch on, and it's a bit of a shame Dutch doesn't include ungloved hands.

As good at making figures as HT is, a typical flaw for them is not including some accessories you think they ought to.

As for rights to the other marines, I don't see it happening. The Predator license doesn't cover that, each actor would have to be dealt with individually for that, Carl Weathers can be a jerk about that stuff, I'm amazed how close HT was able to get with Apollo, but they may not be able to get approved by FOX using that same head. They got Arnie's rights because they knew how important it was to collectors, and I think they liked the idea of sculpting Arnold, they're not going to care much about Bill Duke and Richard Chaves.

Maybe that could be to their advantage in getting their likeness rights? :dunno

Perhaps, but there's still the effort to open communications and sign deals and get approvals or whatever, I just think outside of Arnold, HT won't want to go through that effort. Most licenses nowadays come with likeness in the film licenses, but these old ones are different. HT never got a likeness right for their ALIENS and ALIEN figures (Dallas looks close to Skerrit, but it's nowhere near as good as it could be, it's got a hint of old HT quality to it), Arnold as Dutch is the first one they've gone after and like I said, I think between the meaning to collectors and their own sculpting desires it was worthwhile, plus, we don't know what else has gone on, they may have spoke to Arnold's people about doing a T1 figure with his portrait, there's multiple figures that talking with Arnold's people can be advantageous for, but the other guys, other than Predator figures, there's no use, so less reason to pursue it.

HT never got a likeness right for their ALIENS and ALIEN figures (Dallas looks close to Skerrit, but it's nowhere near as good as it could be, it's got a hint of old HT quality to it)

Actually Hot Toys worked something out with Skerrit. I actually think the likeness is fantastic for Dallas.

So you don't think Blaine / Jesse Ventura is gonna happen either? If they did Blaine and Dillion, I would be happy, but really only Blaine :)

I don't see any other members of Dutch's team happening with the possible exception of Blaine. Jesse has given up action figure rights before, they could reuse the muscle body, the MTV shirt and Minigun would make him stand out, but I'm pretty sure no one else even has a shot.

Does HT still have the original Terminator rights and do they still retain the ability to sculpt Arnold, or if they wanted to make a T-800, would they have to go through the process with Arnold all over again?

I don't see any other members of Dutch's team happening with the possible exception of Blaine. Jesse has given up action figure rights before, they could reuse the muscle body, the MTV shirt and Minigun would make him stand out, but I'm pretty sure no one else even has a shot.

Does HT still have the original Terminator rights and do they still retain the ability to sculpt Arnold, or if they wanted to make a T-800, would they have to go through the process with Arnold all over again?

I believe this is inevitable but I would assume the entire "Arnie" likeness process would have to take place again. That and I would also assume the T1 license has expired too. I am just blown away that they still haven't made T2 figures yet. Sideshow has had the license forever now and we all know they sometimes share licenses. T2 is better than nothing.

I believe this is inevitable but I would assume the entire "Arnie" likeness process would have to take place again. That and I would also assume the T1 license has expired too. I am just blown away that they still haven't made T2 figures yet. Sideshow has had the license forever now and we all know they sometimes share licenses. T2 is better than nothing.

T2 could be coming, Terminator hasn't been too big on minds, but with the release of T:S and the success of those figures, I'm sure HT's investigating options, I'm sure they know there's only so much people will buy from T:S, but with NECA's T2 figure success and HT's own T:S success, surely they know T2 could be big for them.

T2 is easier and has the potential for a greater quantity of figures but I'd prefer if they'd go back to the original film. NECA is serving T2 quite well at the moment, with hopefully a T-1000 wave at least to come. I'm also hoping for Sarah and John but that probably won't happen. T1 though has virtually nothing beyond Hot Toys original 2 figures. If some company (other than kiddy playmates) would be willing to get through the licensing issues a T1 line could get at least 3 T-800 figures and Kyle Reese out there which is often the amount of figures companies limit themselves to anyway.

So leave T2 to NECA for now. Get a T1 line going.

I'm more for T2, NECA's doing nice, but Sideshow's T2 line is incomplete and HT really just needs to finish off with BD versions, young John and maybe an updated clean T-800.

As for T1, while HT did make figures, 1 had no Arnie portrait, and the Reese wasn't the costume he wore predominantly in the movie, that line never really took off so with the right likeness rights, it'd be like a reboot line. I'm more eager to finish a line I've started that's incomplete than starting one I've never had before.

Back